Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fated Characters
So, this suggestion is the ultimate for RP. Instead of the game choosing what your character is capable of, you do it.

Other people won't let your character excel in a certain area unless they have the stats to back it up. Does your battle-hardened general have less Strength than that catgirl over there? Too bad, she just suplexed you into the dirt.

This would allow players to choose what kind of character they actually want, without needing to pester others to grind them for weeks at a time (Seriously, tally the amount of hours some people spend preparing a character. It's ridiculous).

--

Let players allocate 236 points worth of stats manually. This is a stat total of 4. This isn't extremely high in any way whatsoever, but with the high customizability, it would allow players to make any kind of character without tons of heartache. Want that musclebound meathead? Go for it. Frail mage? Go for it. Lightning bruiser? Go. No grinding. Actually enjoying the game.

Of course, players who chose this wouldn't be able to LE, so any bonuses obtainable from this would be off-limits for them. No catalysts or crafting bonuses for you.

--

Frequently Unstated Questions, Queries, and Statements.

S: This is unfair to the people who have already grinded!
A: No one cares about your prestige, make the game more accessible.

S: This means that no one will go through the story!
A: Not everyone actually reads the story. Some people only go through it for rewards. This won't change that.

S: This will make all characters the same!
A: It's a less frustrating option, and I highly doubt that everyone plans on making the exact same stat plot.

Q: What if I want to make a character stronger than this would allow?
A: Grind them yourself. This isn't meant to encourage Mary Sues. RNG Purgatory for you.

S: Why wouldn't everyone do this? Wouldn't this ruin the point of leveling up?
A: Some people may want to progress, and some may want higher stats. Though if being average for more controllability and less frustration is so appealing, maybe this suggestion isn't the issue.

Q: What if people use this to drum up antagonism, and make large parties of evil-doers? What if one person makes a large party to wipe other people out?
A: More antagonism, more RP. No more needing to grind for days for an acceptable villain. Everyone wins. Also multi-keying like that isn't allowed.

Q: What if people use this to make a level 60 character, then help grind someone else's level 1 character?
A: People do this already, moot point.
I'm surprisingly okay with this. Grinding is a chore, even more so with the game just getting fucked up in grinding terms. No one should have to spend 20-30+ hours grinding just to play their character.. and eventually have to LE again because their stats that time weren't as optimal for their build as they thought (Since they never really got to test it out before) so now they have to work for it again.. and again.. Dori has like 12 LEs on her and I know people have completed their book.
I disapprove. It'd be far too easy to simply pump a few key stats with points. I suggest a cap of 50 in each stat to prevent people from boosting just a few particular ones if this actually were to be implemented.

Regardless, I don't think removing more of the RNG from the game helps in any way shape or form. The RNG is what gives the mechanical part of the game charm and it's been suffering for a long time now. Moving more away from it makes it easier to enter the game, sure, but it also takes away from the experience when you have nothing to accomplish anymore. There's simply no point to doing it.

"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7392#p7392 Wrote:MegaBlues » Thu May 28, 2015 6:10 am[/url]"]
S: This is unfair to the people who have already grinded!
A: No one cares about your prestige, make the game more accessible.

This is exactly what I mean. The prestige does matter to some people. Myself included. Sure, grinding sucks, but if you actually want good stats you should suck it up and get it done. It's not the worst thing in the world with all the EXP boosters and help you have these days.
I don't support this in the least. Min/maxing with the aid of class combinations is one thing. But this is just abusable to hell. (because stat average counts even with your dump stats, like celerity or some other for whatever combos.)
No.
No.

If you want your battle hardened general to be assuredly stronger than everyone/anyone you can get a 100% growth or more nowadays as far as I know. And even-so, just because you have a battle hardened general thats str focused, doesnt mean everyone else should automaticaly be inferior. If that catgirl overthere stacked str and surpassed you, she gets to. Why shouldn't anyone be able to be better. I don't see a single reason as to why its bad that you would get surplexed in this made up scenario. It's completely okay.

Edit : from chat with prism and my repetitive shaking of head came an idea : Upon hitting cap, you could finalize your character by getting to adjust stats by removing from some, adding to other in some limit. Like, I don't know. You can relocate ten points or something.Gives you the desired control, but doesn't allow stupidly broken builds. And doesn't make that huge of a difference compared to those that wouldn't use this system.
As I've always said, luck based growths are bullshit. If my character chooses to be a bodybuilder and train for muscles, why should they only have a 70% chance of getting that strength gain at level up? If my character suffered a childhood injury that left them unable to run, why are they unable to keep Cel low if the RNG decides to go "lol, take that 15% 10 times in a row?" Random growths are definitely counter-RP. Sure, not everyone is the same, but you could also look at how different players would choose to play; I actually prefer to keep hp low to minimize poison damage taken, and focus on defense instead, but many others feel hp is the most important of all. It's not like allowing manual input will suddenly make everyone the same.

That said, your idea -IS- too powerful as is. I mean, 236 is enough points to go 80/80/76/0/0/0/0 in three main stats, and that can be rather ridiculous.

My counterpoint would be to allow a point of 3, not 4, and to cap the stat at the level (So, for example, if you were given 3 stats to assign at level up, you could not surpass your level in a given stat.) This would allow some creative and viable builds you can't see with the current growth system, while giving those who want to keep doing things the old way a reward for all their grinding: Far more stats overall/ outstripping the "fixed" amounts.

Alternatively, we could use Sarin's idea of being able to re-allocate points, but instead of limiting it to 10, instead make it a 2:1 ratio. You sacrifice two stats to add one elsewhere. This will really make it an interesting choice to go through, and a very specialized character will have glaring weaknesses.
*loud burp*