Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check Your Privilege
I think that, with people already using dice to roll to determine things in roleplay, that there should be an option to roll a die with a modification based on base stats. The reason for this is being that some dice rolls that are used to determine certain events are somewhat odd without certain stats affecting them; two people rolling 1d20 to see who wins in an arm wrestling contest, for example, will count nothing on their character's strength.

So, my suggestion will work as such: There will be a button, next to the die roll and coin toss, that will function as follows: you click the button, you choose a stat, and then in the chat box, it will display what stat you rolled to check, along with the TOTAL result of the die roll (to prevent people from completely figuring out what your stats are). The die roll will function as follows: 1d12+(Base Stat/5), with the total result rounded down from decimals. The reason why we use base stats instead of total stats is because too many things can change stats before you do a stat check; ghosts will have an upper hand on everyone when they are really weak, you could switch around equipment sneakily to do one roll, then switch equipment again to do another roll, etc.

The reason why we use 1d12 instead of 1d20 is that with 1d20, it is possible for a character with 4 or less strength to out-arm-wrestle a person with 80 strength, which I think shouldn't be possible- the literal worst in strength would not be able to out-arm-wrestle the best, even with amazing luck. However, let's say someone with 60 strength goes against someone with 80 strength. The character with 80 strength is at their peak potential, while the character with 60 strength has pretty damn amazing strength. The person with 60 strength has a 20% chance to be victorious in the contest. If doing 40 strength against 80 strength, the character with 40 strength has a 4% chance to be victorious in the contest. I personally view these both as being fair.

If people are worried that their stats are becoming too important for roleplay, in my opinion, they should be important- they are how the character is represented in their abilities.

Here is an icon for the button. [Image: JkHc9iM.png]

Any critique and suggestions are welcome.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
Stats being fine for roleplay would be fine, if you were actually in control of those stats.

I'm against making RNG even more important. So, while this is a good idea, it would be harmful to the game overall in its current stage.
But people grind for the best stats near constantly anyways, so, nothing new.

I'm all for this as long as it's just something optional people can do if they don't feel like leaving it entirely to chance.
I like this, and would definitely make use of it.
I don't really think there is any sort of a need to bash this idea because of importancy or something. This would affect only scenarios where you and your roleplaying partner want to realisticaly decide the outcome of an event. Since it's purely a roleplaying addition if you end up not wanting to compete with them in that, you can just..well, pvp or something? Stop jumping everytime someone says diceroll.

I recall mentioning something like this in the past, because of the commonly popping up level fives, trying to outmuscle my bodybuilder characters and intentionaly lying about their stats. This would ensure fairness and still hiding the exact number of your stats in the poorer RP scenarios. To add, actual pure roleplaying combat would be very viable with this...blah blah. Limitless opportunities! All my yes.
I agree with everything stated. Blues' concerns included.
*loud burp*