Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapid SMASHING Kick
So. After getting wrecked by someone using Rapid Kick, I thought there damage seemed... off. Dealing 120 to me even though I had 10% Resist and 10% DR. With just the kick, that is.

So, me and Megablues decided to do some testing because the math looked HORRENDOUSLY off!

Here are the parameters in which we tested.

CEL = 61
WPNPWR = 26
Enemy DEF = 7

Following the formula for Rapid Kick, you can begin to see things are ... off from their prospective damage.

At R1: Rapid Kick's formula should be (61+26+3-7)/2 per kick. Totaling up to 83 damage. However.. the damage actually dealt was 20*2, which is 40 total.
At R2: Rapid Kick's formula should be (61+26+6-7)/3 per kick. Totaling up to 86 damage. However.. the damage actually dealt was 21*3, which is 63 total.
At R3: Rapid Kick's formula should be (61+26+9-7)/4 per kick. Totaling up to 89 damage. However.. the damage actually dealt was 22*4, which is 88 total.

This is whenever we noticed the pattern. It ALMOST dealt the proper damage which is close enough since it's divided by 4, and 89 isn't but 88 is.

At R4: Rapid Kick's formula should be (61+26+12-7)/5 per kick. Totaling up to 92 damage. However.. the damage actually dealt was 23*5, which is 115 total.

This is giving it 1.25x damage over what it should be now. Before, if you looked hard enough... The damage was about 0.5, then 0.75, then about 1x. Now its 1.25x I wonder what R5 is going to be..

At R5: Rapid Kick's formula should be (61+26+15-7)/6 per kick. Totaling up to 95 damage. However.. the damage actually dealt was 23*6, which is 138 total.

What Rapid Kick is doing, currently, is that is is diving the damage you would have done by 4, rather than by the number of kicks. Netting you half damage at R1, 0.75 damage at R2, normal damage at R3, 1.25x at R4, and 1.5x at R5.

Now, some people may say this isn't a bug, but it isn't what's described on the power. The power doesn't say anything about dealing tons more damage at max rank. I would have assumed that more kicks, means they're slightly weaker, but also doing more damage total, if only by a little bit. As it is now, people are netting 2 extra kicks worth of damage from nothing just by R5ing it.

Note: More kicks also means that BG doesn't trigger as often, and that you slam through things that block x damage against you, IE BoI
Good catch. I definitely noticed that it felt way too weak at lower ranks, but at higher ranks, I didn't even stop to think about it due to not really thinking about making the individual kicks weaker with more hits to balance the formula. Defnite thanks are in order for crunching the numbers like that!

While I don't personally feel it would make logical sense to actually weaken each hit per extra hit added, I don't suppose it's really worth using at lower levels so it's not like changing it to reflect the actual description would not be so bad. As well, if using Ice Point Greaves, each extra rank is basically +13 (+3 from the skill, +10 from the greaves) damage, which is better scaling than basically every other attack skill in the game anyways. (Outside of maybe laughably terrible scalers like Shinken. Seriously. Why are ranks 1-4 even a thing.)

Summary: Yes, change the skill to reflect the decription.
*loud burp*
This has been corrected.