Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rule regarding crime
After a series of events, and problems I've seen in game so far (mostly in town), a reminder, and more of a "this is a rule, don't forget it" has to be put in place because people seem to get out of hand a lot. The GMs had a discussion on Skype, and since Chaos is in charge of the guard section, we asked for his opinion, the result was unanimous. Therefor, this is to be taken into consideration and will be added as a rule, which means it will be on the wiki.

Basically this is a reminder to people, though. PC guards can't always be on all the time, we have lives, some people are in school, etc.

If Dev has anything to say about this, it's all his final judgement.

Written by me:
Revised & Paraphrased by Sly:

Quote:It's considered metagaming to commit heinous crimes within towns, in plain sight.

This is because towns are (within roleplay) well-guarded and to commit obvious crimes would definitely alert their attention and to act as if they don't exist is simply bad roleplay.

Things that would be considered heinous crimes would typically be things that cause a large commotion such as acts of violence, forcing someone against their will, etc.

In addition, don't spar in towns, in plain sight either. Just because it's agreed upon, does not mean the guards are okay with you doing that, take your friendly fights outside or in private where civilians won't be bothered.

tl;dr Just because a PC guard isn't online, doesn't mean you should ignore the existence of guards. Small crimes that you can easily get away with are fine, but if you commit a big crime and get away, you're most likely going to become a wanted criminal and will need a good disguise to get around without anyone finding out.

Logically guards still exist even if they aren't online. The Guard in Blue pretty much becomes an NPC who stands opposite of Air and assisting her in Entry Control when I'm not on. Just because you don't see her, doesn't mean she isn't there or patrolling around the city (and if you need to, contact me and I'll get on her); but that's just an example of my point. Guards can't always be PCly on, but they still exist and if you need one, contact them.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
I don't have anything to add other than that this is what I intended in the first place. If you want to cause a ruckus, wait until guards are on to offer some RP. If no one is, I'm sorry, but you're going to have to wait for another time. I'm much more neutral on sparring but it does make sense that if you're going to be flinging magic and destruction around, they don't want you to do it in the middle of town.
While we're at it, can we make it a real thing that "being asked to leave someone alone and not doing so is harrassment, and is illegal?" Because I seriously just had a supposed guard tell my charatcer to their face that not leaving them alone when asked is not a crime.

Proof: http://i.gyazo.com/eb7a66235046965d3091ff4007e0edd9.png

This has come up time and time again with people trying to ICly force themselves into private discussions (Including, but not limited to, a parent disciplining a child, a date, friends consoling one another over personal issues, etc) and quite frankly, it's utterly ridiculous. IRL, someone who didn't take a hint could very well find themselves charged if the person they were bothering was angry enough. This shouldn't be COMMON in game.

EDIT: Oh, and for context, I have everything from the moment they sat at the table:

http://i.gyazo.com/58221e574503dfaaa81d564dd119eb81.png
http://i.gyazo.com/a2d4750c222cbea1e24278ec88934004.png

Yes. "Every single person around here." No one. NO ONE. Takes no for an answer. It's completely irrational. "OMGZ A PERSON TIEM TO MAEK DEM RP WIF MEH!"
*loud burp*
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=951#p951 Wrote:Ranylyn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:29 pm[/url]"]While we're at it, can we make it a real thing that "being asked to leave someone alone and not doing so is harrassment, and is illegal?" Because I seriously just had a supposed guard tell my charatcer to their face that not leaving them alone when asked is not a crime.

Proof: http://i.gyazo.com/eb7a66235046965d3091ff4007e0edd9.png

This has come up time and time again with people trying to ICly force themselves into private discussions (Including, but not limited to, a parent disciplining a child, a date, friends consoling one another over personal issues, etc) and quite frankly, it's utterly ridiculous. IRL, someone who didn't take a hint could very well find themselves charged if the person they were bothering was angry enough. This shouldn't be COMMON in game.

EDIT: Oh, and for context, I have everything from the moment they sat at the table:

http://i.gyazo.com/58221e574503dfaaa81d564dd119eb81.png
http://i.gyazo.com/a2d4750c222cbea1e24278ec88934004.png

Yes. "Every single person around here." No one. NO ONE. Takes no for an answer. It's completely irrational. "OMGZ A PERSON TIEM TO MAEK DEM RP WIF MEH!"

Biggest thing in my opinion, and I'm not in charge of the guards like Chaos is, but. Think in a logical world sense.

> Person harasses you.
> You told them no but don't do anything about it other than that.

Best bet would be to find and inform a guard. If the guards don't know about it, they can't do anything about it.

Now, if people feel like coming up to you ICly and talking to you, that's roleplay and in my opinion is metagame to OOCly tell them to go away (not saying you are doing that) because it devalues the realism in the roleplay and influences their character in a way they wouldn't normally act (if their character wants to be an ignorant law breaker and go to jail, let them).

Yes, it should be harassment for someone to not leave you alone when requested, but if you don't tell a guard, then nothing can really be done about it. As for coming up and approaching you, unless they're being OOCly harassing, I don't see a need to punish them. Their character is probably just an annoying jackass and that's how some people are in reality.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
Agreed on most of those fronts. I just mean that IRL, most people would take a hint.

I just wanted to bring this up since I checked the guard list, and yes, that was a legit guard telling me it was not illegal. And you'd think they'd know the rules.
*loud burp*
Okay, a few things.

One, I think you should be able to fight and initiate fights in town, but not without punishment.

Two, I would prefer it if a standard were put in place for 'how long can a fight go on before a guard will likely interfere'. Someone running up to you, stabbing you in the guts, then running is hard to react to, but a prolonged spar would receive more attention.

Three, IC events should be able to be put into place to allow for an extension on the amount of time a guard takes to arrive at a scene, including but not limited to causing a distraction, a larger imminent threat, the scale of the crime/fight, the location, etc.

The reasoning for this is I don't want a regression into the cesspit that was SL1's starting town, where everyone would hang out forever and pvp was literally impossible. It is something that stopped me from playing the game because it tossed the validity of any threat straight out the window and was completely immersion breaking.

On a side note, thanks for clarifying the difference between OOC and IC harassment, Ryu, and denying the ability to use OOC to influence IC actions in such a circumstance.