Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Screaming Tome and Etacof
Removing 6m worth of silence + silence 'insurance' for 1m is still far too powerful. The damage alone is not nearly enough to compensate for it, but there is an argument to be had that Strangling Etacof should not completely shut down a mage no matter what. I suggest changing Screaming Tome to reduce the duration of Strangling Etacof's silence by 2 rounds, instead of removing it entirely. That way, if you are silenced, you will have to spend 1m + 2m and take twice the damage to cure it, if you wish to do so in one round.
Taking Screaming Tome is still an opportunity cost because of its pitiful power, meaning you either deal with lower damage spells or you give up a valuable hands slot. I don't think we need to inhibit its one and only appeal, especially when Hexers are not reliant on silencing other mages to beat them.
I use Screaming Tome on two characters and Hexer on zero.

I still think this should be a thing.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10271#p10271 Wrote:Neus » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:39 pm[/url]"] I don't think we need to inhibit its one and only appeal, especially when Hexers are not reliant on silencing other mages to beat them.

The appeal of the tome is that the removal costs 1 momentum, instead of 3 like throatopener. Missing out on 12 damage on a spell means nothing when you can cast two of them after being silenced, instead of one. If being able to bypass Etacof is the tome's main appeal as you say, my suggestion does not destroy it. It would just make the cost of doing so heftier.
If you have lots of pierce resistance you can cut the health cost but a significant amount, leaving it in your hand slot as just a utility item that ends up making silences feel worthless.
Don't forget that putting it in the off-hand slot doubles the HP cost.

And getting large amounts of Pierce resistance is only possible for Summoners (Who aren't quite as affected by silence as a regular mage) and Black Knights, assuming the damage is physical.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10276#p10276 Wrote:MegaBlues » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:40 pm[/url]"]Don't forget that putting it in the off-hand slot doubles the HP cost.

And getting large amounts of Pierce resistance is only possible for Summoners (Who aren't quite as affected by silence as a regular mage) and Black Knights, assuming the damage is physical.

If a Hexer spent 6m to silence and etacof, you can almost be certain that they would have done more than 20% of your health with any other attacks. Screaming tome makes a powerful hex a liability to use, because if they have the tome (and most people with powerful mages do), using Etacof puts you at a huge disadvantage in momentum spent. Why would you use the hex, if it functions identically to silence when the item is involved?
because you resist whatever element they used and that 1M they spent before keeps them from being able to cast again

Beating a dead horse, but there are applications (or at least one) to making an opponent use even 1M.
As per PvP's nature, high power is a burden compared to utility. Unless you're going up against a RES tank (and even then, Evoker is given a built-in counter to those), odds are you're not going to miss the loss in power, especially if you're using Sync-Mind skills. As for its HP cost: Screamer --> Parreta --> (Insert 3M skill/spell here, if they don't have Water Resist). Or just recoup with a straight heal, if you have one of the Curate classes equipped. (Pierce resistance has already been covered)

I believe I've stated this before, but while curing silence for 10% HP/1M is a good idea, being able to also take out a skill meant specifically to reinforce Silence with no additional cost is broken. It turns Etacof into a guessing game against each and every spellcaster you encounter. They don't have Screamer? It works. They have screamer? They get 6M to punish you, and a spellcaster has a lot of punishments to dish out. Losing 1 momentum on an action that destroys a locked-in debuff like Silence is a very small price to pay, and even the 10% HP cost doesn't balance it out. (Unless you're rolling a Hyattr spellcaster, the mage's HP can easily be fully recovered after a decent Paretta or a simple Graft)

Again, like I've stated before, Screamer needs an additional cost when taking care of Etacof. Something like Kam suggested should be fine.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye