Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hop here, hop there.
I love how people try to force the new movement skill to be just like Haunting, a.k.a. the worst movement skill currently found in the game. Fine job, folks.

Considering that Demon Hunter's Winged Serpent never really got these kind of complaints, we can infer that Crane Hop's big issue is how easy it is to combo into. While everyone suggests that raising its momentum cost to 3M would do the trick, I say that's a load of bogus; all it would do is make Crane Hop near-completely unusable to anyone that wasn't a Corbie, especially when the skill has to then compete with Heaven Kick, which can do just as much, if not better, for the same cost.

You want to deal with Crane Hop fairly? Raise the momentum cost to 2M. Here's what you're getting with the package:

1. You cannot perform Hop -> Meditate on your own.

2. Verglas can perform a small combo with Crane Hop, but not a full one.

3. Double Crane Hop now takes up almost all of your turn.

4. Crane Hop is still a useful movement skill, and provides non-Corbies/Hyattrs a good way to get into the Airborne game without being forced to use 3M skills/Demon Hunter.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Haunting is good. It might not be good for whatever your Ghost build is (if you even have one), but it's good. It just suffers from being a skill that has to be ranked up in an already SP heavy class.
Winged Serpent only goes in a straight line, and requires starting next to an enemy to be useful most of the time. It also has the same problems as Haunting.

That's besides the point, though. I definitely agree it should be 2M.
Haunting is a really good movement skill. Wtf are you talking about, Chaos? It allows you to quickly get out of Ice, inflict Fear (See? That fucks with Meditation), and it gives 1.5x Ghost Wind damage. Friggin amazing for a 3M skill of a promotion class. Crane hop is ridiculous because it's a base class skill that's better than movement options afforded to promotion classes. That's where the issue lies, and competing with Heaven's Kick? Heavens Kick has a max range of 15 or so now, admittedly it does a ton more damage ((STR was added into its formula, where it WASN'T before.. and its a gigantic friggin AoE)). Not only that, but it invades on 2-3 Racial Skills given to Kaelens. Bunny Hop, Gain Air, and Instinct (Felidae) are all 'weaker' versions of this clearly superior base class move. 3 FP, 1 M.

At 3M, Crane Hop is still a good skill because it allows movement, and can knock enemies up into the air, or put yourself airborne. Useful for getting behind people (Void Assassin, Kensei, Verglas, DH), and if they can't dodge an up-close-and-personal Archer, they also risk the chance of getting utterly destroyed by a +100% chance critical shot from Bow Special Attack. You may ask "Why don't I just use other stuff to get Airborne if this costs 3M?" Because the other stuff that knocks people airborne doesn't also move you.

I'll secede on that though, raising it to 2M instead of 1M will still give it a good amount of utility. Verglas can still combo off of it, someone who uses basic attacks can still combo off of it if they crit. Hell, you can still Crane Hop > Shukuchi > Move or Shukuchi > Crane Hop > Geldoren ((If you get bonuses from being airborne;See Corbie.. if you wanted to do that, anyways.)). Maybe raising it's FP cost up some? It still beats out the Leporidae Jump ((Less the trait I can't remember makes it a lot better)), which kind of isn't cool. Their jump is 10 FP, 3M, 7 Squares.

Basing it off of that would be kind of nice, or if it can't be changed to that, make certain status effects make it impossible to Crane Hop. Yes, you can fix that with Cleanse Body, but it forces the issue. Cripple Leg, Immobilize, Gravity Well. Hell, making it not work in a turn which you were knocked down is a good enough change, too. Makes life not suck so much.
In response to Chaos:

I may have misunderstood but last I checked you can't Heaven Kick to a tile unless you're targeting an enemy, therefore it's got it's own built-in countermeasure for the range you get from it (meaning it can only be used for pushing the enemy, not escaping - unless you count pushing to a weaker enemy) not to mention how after Preparation wears off it's range is brought down.

Haunting isn't really that horrid of a movement skill, you ignore terrain while using it (barring other positives and it can prove to be a semi-nice work-around to avoiding Repeated Action costs depending on how far into the fight it is if you've already used Move).

-

In response to Rendar:

Admittedly you lost me completely with the Movement costs for that combo. . . but I'm not familiar with Corbies at all, so that probably solves that.

-

Lastly,

The notion of Crane Hop being 3M should be abandoned entirely, personally I find it silly and would like to write it off with it being from all the bad experiences people concerning the new skill being left unchecked until after the holidays.

At this point I would just love to see some fix, even if a temporary one, just to see where the issues actually lie with the skill and how to move from there.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
I reduced the range to 2/3/4 and made it unusable while Airborne.
It can still be used with a 0M skill. That's why meditate not being usable when airborne is silly because you can meditate then still jump. Or cancel it with anything that costs nothing. Please, change it to once per turn
And unusable if rooted/ensnared? (Ingrain, etc.) As its not supposed to work like a blink.
Also, it's supposed to be a ''jump'', to jump far you need your legs working fine, so, shouldn't cripple leg ruin its mobility as well? I mean, Martial Artist has an anti-archer passive, so why not?
[strike](Leporidae buffs to the range???)[/strike]
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Ugh, jesus. Fine. It can only be used once per round now. And it could never be used while immobilized, Snake.

Now everyone can stop whining about this.
Nobody's happy, but it's at least something.