Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Priest Invocations and Why they Suck
Things wrong with Priest Invocations:

Divine Shower is an invocation that costs more than Wretched Oil, does.. slightly more damage (very slightly), and instead of poisoning, it blinds. Sometimes. With 80 WIL, it would look something like this.

80 WIL, 20 POW tome.

98.7 damage (( 47 earth, 51.7 Dark)) Sure, it's a dual resist but you can only get the bads for one of those. Requires 3 Momentum (4 if they resist) (32.9 damage per momentum)

Divine Shower, however, is.

118 Damage (All light). Requires 9 Momentum. (13.1 Damage per Momentum)

This is an Invocation That can be broken. There are no bonuses to ever using this, even with the "The chance to have invocations broken is reduced by FAITH" It still costs MORE FP to use and does less damage! Blind isn't even that good, comparitively!

Well I know what you're saying "it's a support spell vs a status effect class!" That doesn't excuse the horrendously high FP cost and the fact that.. no one's gonna waste FP on it.

Divine Judgement is an invocation that's.. pretty neat, actually. It negates LIGHT res, and makes them take their FAITH instead of def/res versus Mercalan Domain spells. Not that there are any Mercalan Spells that target defense, but whatever. 20 FP; pretty useful in a team fight. Next.. to useless in a solo fight however. If you plan to use invocations, at all, they are required to be an Evoker as well, seeing as how they can't ACTUALLY get into range of enemies otherwise. So, it has to be used up close and personal. The range is 6 too, so if they decide to attack you, you'll have it broken rather quickly if they can deal a decent bit of damage.

Otherwise? I really have no complaints with it. It's actually a fairly useful invocation, if a tad niche, that is sort of like Intensify Cold, except it does no damage... And can't drop someone into negatives.

Mercalan Mist is actually REALLY cool! +50 Evade, HP Regen, and -25% Lightning Weakness? This thing is a fucking amazing piece of work! It even counteracts other Mist Skills, so it's pretty useful if you're sitting in the back! The sad thing is, you'll almost never get to use it because it's so limited in it's abilities that it's only good in a team fight, and only if you have an ally who can zap someone hard. It's really lovely, otherwise.

Shine Knights... Where do I even begin with how terrible these guys are. First off, lets start with their stats. They're fundamentally weaker than a ton of youkai at level 60, which I can understand. It means that training isn't diminished. However they shouldn't be. Why? They're a C rank invocation. The only one in the game, at that. What do they do..? They suck, kind of a lot. Their stats are abysmal, something like 58 SKI and 13 LUC. Not much else boosting them in terms of.. well. Anything. Well, they're meant to be protectors right? So they should have good defensive stat--

They have 38 DEF/RES at or about. They're horrendously weak on that front too. So, where do they shine? Stupidity, really. The only time they'll ever be useful is against people who.. don't use DEF and/or CEL. Dodgers can pretty much ALWAYS dodge them without fail. Hell, one of them hit a dodger (who had very little DEF) for 54 damage whenever they got bashed. Okay so... Uh. They're bad versus a lot. Are they good versus Melee people? Not really. If the enemy can't crit you, they'll sure as hell be able to crit your summons with ease.

They take fifteen momentum to cast. 70 FP, and you get them with PROTECT, +2 to all your stats, and Blinding Aura. Sometimes. There is nothing redeeming about this Rank C invocation, and I'd prefer to just go Evoker and HSDW Overload someone. It's bad.

How do we fix it..? Honestly. I'm not sure. Do we raise their stats? Make their sword better? All of these are 'decent' options.

[Image: 5fe326eaa6.png]

The stats of a Shine Knight; for reference. ((They've got 2 charismas active on them, as well.))

Versus ZERO defense, ZERO Resistance, they deal 92 Damage, always. 35 Power Weapon, ??? accuracy. That's.. kinda poor, considering it's LIGHT damage and it takes forever to summon them and it's probably impossible for them to actually hit something that's relatively dodgy.
I only use Mercalan Mist from the invocation pool on my priest myself. I liked playing with Shine Knights for awhile, but it became painfully obvious that they would never be a threat to anyone ever in PvP. Best case scenario is that they do nothing and the opponent ignores them, or kills them just for the heck of it. Worst case scenario is they feed your enemy's claret call rebounds, or get charmed and start tanking your damage for your enemy.

I've never even really considered touching the other invocations, and that's proof enough to me that they're bad when stacked up next to other non-invocation options.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]
Personally, I see Divine Shower and Shine Knights as useful PVE tools, but useless in PVP due to being invocations. Divine Shower is less useful overall than Wretched Oil, sure, but it's still a full-field blast without a damage penalty at range that can make Spacey Dungeons not a chore. And you can have 5 ranks in Shine Knight pretty early, giving a lower level character a great equalizer; a somewhat more support-based class being given a way of dealing with enemies above their level.

My biggest issue with Shine Knights is their Movement OCD. With the Alondite Upgrade, they have a range of 3. Yet, they insist on moving after they attack. This means that instead of actually protecting the Priest or nearby allies, it turns into an infuriating game of musical chairs (SK moves next to enemy, Enemy moves next to player, Player moves next to SK, repeat) and is completely idiotic and often makes their Protect ability completely useless. They need an AI tweak to only move if not within range in order to become anything beyond just extra damage for PVE. This could even make them not useless in PVP if the opponent has Single Target attacks, as Protect + 330 hp x 2 is a very significant buffer - and you can heal them with Graft (Malmelo does half to them, so forget Malmelo.)

You do have valid points on every front, of course, but that's just my two cents. I think it's okay for spells to be bad in PVE if they're good in PVP, and vice-versa. Kind of like how Knockdown is huge in PVP but almost nonexistant in PVE, making a drastic effect on if Kip Up is worth investing in or not based on which you're focusing on.
*loud burp*
Ranylyn,

Divine Shower is shit for PVE because Hexer does it better. It isn't an invocation there.

Shine Knights are also shit in PVP; especially at things with dodge. Also they cost 70 FP which is hella expensive.
Whenever a class that is all about status effects gets better support invocations than a class that's all about support.

You know you have a problem.

I'm looking at you Hexer. Your invocations are so good for support.