Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imprisonment
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11463#p11463 Wrote:Clockworkers Doll » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm[/url]"]wall of text
The majority of players live out an everyday life as a citizen.

Being a different setting doesn't stop it from being slice of life.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11463#p11463 Wrote:Clockworkers Doll » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:51 am[/url]"]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11460#p11460 Wrote:Soapy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:05 am[/url]"]If you want a slice of life with occasional (usually private) conflict, play SL. It was made for that.
Was just asked to post what I said in Skype:
[8:23:53 PM] Kyle Broflovski: it's a fantasy mmorpg. not to say those can't be slice of life, but real life is not crowded with people who want to shove their weapons into everyone else's rectums and scantily clad women fucking eachother every 5 minutes.
[8:24:34 PM] Kyle Broflovski: slice of life implies that these things happen in real life and that is the main focus
[8:24:34 PM] Kyle Broflovski: 75% of sl2 things don't happen irl.
[8:25:09 PM] Kyle Broflovski: i don't walk half way across my country without breaking a sweat to see if my friend is there

Very agreeable to me. Plenty of players enjoy the social aspects of roleplay moreso than anything related to violence or overt character development, which come along with risks that slice of life RP doesn't have- such as death. In slice of life, you can do and say whatever you want within reason without ever having anything serious go wrong. That sort of mindset, to me, is cancerous to those that want something more tangible from the game. If you feel like an update to The Black Beasts or having broad arcs handled by GMs is too much, then there are plenty more minor implementations that could be made to satisfy the desire for progression- such as a rehaul of legend extension to be just more than mostly very minor boosts and social RP related things to include more things that actually impact one's so-called 'legend', be that notoriety or actual power/tools to do things with (GM permission for this sort of stuff would be needed so that you don't have a dozen Bloeden's running around.)

"Soapy" Wrote:
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11463#p11463 Wrote:Clockworkers Doll » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 pm[/url]"]wall of text

The setting does impact whether or not it's slice of life. There is a massive amount of Dev's lore that is either ignored or skirted around for the convenience of roleplay, and it's usually done for the sake of slice of life RP. For example, everything I found here? None of it really applies because no one forces you to abide by them. Magic gunners aren't reticent to use magic bullets despite the rumors that they shorten your lifespan, no one uses Wraithguard due to fear of death (it's often used numerous times in very casual situations, actually), and certainly no one cares that firearms in general are supposed to be a revolutionary weapon that the average person is uneasy/unfamiliar with compared to a sword.

And this happens because of the slice of life nature of SL2 that you feel should be obliged. I disagree. I would rather that slice of life take the backseat so that players can immerse themselves in the lore and then build onto it with their own adventures and discoveries- because that's what roleplay tends to be. A large group of co-authors, some having much more influence than others, writing a story together. SL2 is a far cry from that at the moment. It's looking more like Lesbians & Powergame: The Simulator than a proper 'mandatory roleplaying game'- which isn't inherently bad. I just don't personally like it, and I want to see what others think.

Let me be clear, too- just because there's a 'Fear' debuff doesn't mean that every character that is afflicted by it needs to act as if they explicitly fear their opponent. RP should give you that sort of leniency. But when Dev's lore explicitly states X is how Y works and every single character acts as if Z is how Y actually works, then there's a disconnect that needs to be addressed. Prison is one of the bigger disconnects, but it's less about being ignorant of lore and more about it not really working out well in execution. It needs change.

Edit: And please, don't try to tell me that the majority of players are trying to roleplay everyday life as if they are citizens. Most characters are combatants of some sort, be they outlaws or guards or mercenaries or arena junkies. And if they aren't those, they definitely aren't average citizens- they're wealthy magicians or detestable vampires or looming dullahans. There are very few 'normal' PCs in SL2. You'll have to explain why you think otherwise, because I just can't see it.
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11465#p11465 Wrote:Soapy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:08 am[/url]"]

"Alright, Let me just hang around and have someone shove their sword up my ass because that's totally normal."

"Oh wait, your holding me at gun point...? Uhh... I'll pay you to stop. *Pays them and still gets shot.* J-just another day in Sigrogana...."

But jokes aside though, This is probably a bit much calling this game a slice of life. If I wanted a knife pointed at me for whatever reason, It'd make sense to go to the arena. The only issue is that the only place people hang out there are generally pvper's. This game as an entirety can't even be possible because of there being animal-kin, There might be some slice of life bits, but its generally overshadowed by the fantasy elements of the game.

"If you want to see normal life happen go to cel--... Never mind no one is here..."

This is a general occurrence that I've noticed during my time here since I joined back in May. If you really want Slice of life, you'd have a better chance of getting more out of a High school forum rp if you really wanted that genre. Otherwise this is a moot point saying this is a slice of life in and on itself.

Had to put in my two cent's so I hope everyone has a nice Night/Day.
This is a classic case of someone staying something but not knowing what the fuck their talking about, or just being stubborn and refusing to listen

Soapy, there's nothing Slice of Life about SL2 Verse, like I don't know what rock you're living under, but considering my knowledge of Slice of Life, which btw it is best and worse of life, to put it briefly, and in SL2 NOTHING is like that at all, because clearly public executions aren't 'Slice of Life' all the Futanari lesbian relationships popping out of no where isn't a Slice of Life, I can go on and on, but then I'll just be repeating what everyone else said, the fact of the matter is, you're wrong, just admit that you are and things will go smoothly.

P.S. If public executions turns out to be actual slice of life and turns out to be like popular for dating then clearly I've been living a lie.
[Image: jBTJOXi.png]
>Public Executions not being Slice of Life.

In a medieval setting that's perfectly slice of life. People die, people get killed. Especially people who commit horrendous acts against mankind etc.

(Also Futanari Lesbians legitimately don't make sense. And are. You know. Banned by Dev, atleast the first part is.)
Sorry, I wasn't actually calling it that based on your favorite highschool anime. Would 'fantasy soap opera' be a better description?

For the most part (like nearly everyone in this thread, for example), nothing changes outside of interpersonal relationships.

The most 'serious' thing the average character gets involved with is a verbal argument ending in a spar, where both are fine five minutes later.

I don't know about you, but I've been playing this game for nine years. I stand by what I said.
Quote:The setting does impact whether or not it's slice of life. There is a massive amount of Dev's lore that is either ignored or skirted around for the convenience of roleplay, and it's usually done for the sake of slice of life RP. For example, everything I found here? None of it really applies because no one forces you to abide by them. Magic gunners aren't reticent to use magic bullets despite the rumors that they shorten your lifespan, no one uses Wraithguard due to fear of death (it's often used numerous times in very casual situations, actually), and certainly no one cares that firearms in general are supposed to be a revolutionary weapon that the average person is uneasy/unfamiliar with compared to a sword.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the topic of the OP (honestly I sort of skimmed since it seemed like something in Chaos' department) but I will say that all the stuff listed there and a lot of the stuff (but not all) is optional fluff; I mainly leave it there to give people ideas and options in their roleplay rather than force them to play a certain way. If no one else does it then you could be the first.

As for the slice of life/static plot stuff, I admit that I would like to start doing things more that influence the world or plot as a whole. I never really intended for it to be so unshifting for so long, but working on other areas of the game has had that effect.

Anyway, carry on.
Quote:Sorry, I wasn't actually calling it that based on your favorite highschool anime. Would 'fantasy soap opera' be a better description?

For the most part (like nearly everyone in this thread, for example), nothing changes outside of interpersonal relationships.

The most 'serious' thing the average character gets involved with is a verbal argument ending in a spar, where both are fine five minutes later.

I don't know about you, but I've been playing this game for nine years. I stand by what I said.

And by those merits I say good for you, thanks for countering what you just said.(I'm not saying this to be mean, but this is just how I am, I apologize if this offended you in anyway or otherwise.)

"Rendar" Wrote:>Public Executions not being Slice of Life.

In a medieval setting that's perfectly slice of life. People die, people get killed. Especially people who commit horrendous acts against mankind etc.

(Also Futanari Lesbians legitimately don't make sense. And are. You know. Banned by Dev, atleast the first part is.)

As for this statement keep in mind that's medieval setting, SL2 Lore wise at it's core is a fantasy world. Not saying that people don't die when their killed(vampires contend to this) or people who commit a crime goes scoot-free, I'm just giving my two cents on bullshit how I see it. Cause if you really want to get technical Misuterii High is more 'Slice of Life' than SL2 in some regards.
[Image: jBTJOXi.png]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11480#p11480 Wrote:iStabOreos » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:12 am[/url]"]Cause if you really want to get technical Misuterii High is more 'Slice of Life' than SL2 in some regards.
People die in that game. Constantly. Literally the only thing that happens is murdering.

Sigrogana is and always has been about walking around and talking to people.

There really aren't many other ways I can word this.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11481#p11481 Wrote:Soapy » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:18 am[/url]"]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11480#p11480 Wrote:iStabOreos » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:12 am[/url]"]Cause if you really want to get technical Misuterii High is more 'Slice of Life' than SL2 in some regards.
People die in that game. Constantly. Literally the only thing that happens is murdering.

Sigrogana is and always has been about walking around and talking to people.

There really aren't many other ways I can word this.

Sigrogana and MH were both about walking around and talking to people. MH was just structured into very short wipes/rounds and, thus, antagonistic roles tended to make conflict/drama through murder. It was a murder-mystery game, but the fact that SL2 requires you to 'walk around and talk to people' doesn't make it slice of life. That's any roleplaying game where you are able to walk around and talk. Infact, that's the only way to get a foothold unless you know people already OOC'ly... so.

You're still not making it clear why you think that SL2 is slice of life and shouldn't change from that other than 'I've been here so much longer than you, so I know what's best!'
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]