Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking the silence about Silence
Right now, Silence is probably the most potent status effect there is. It's capable of completely locking multiple classes out of their entire skillset for multiple rounds. No physical-based class has to deal with a status this overpowering (at least none that mages don't have to also suffer with), and for this reason I suggest a change.

Silence no longer prevents casting of normal spells (it still prevents the use of Invocations), but instead removes additional effects from any spells cast. Suggested changes are as follows:

Sear: No longer creates sear tiles.
Libegrande: No longer creates ice sheets.
Wind Slasher: No longer deals additional Slash damage.
Ryemei: Can no longer critical.
Mage base class skills remain unaffected because maybe this means people will have a reason to actually use them.
Salamander: No longer inflicts Burn.
Fenrir: No longer slows move.
Typhur: No longer pushes back.
Golem: No longer magnetizes enemies.
Altera: No longer inflicts Blind.
Phoenix: No longer revives downed allies.
Shine Ray: No longer creates a light shaft.
Needle: No longer inflicts its status on the target.
Gentle Torrent: No longer reduces duration of negative status' by passing over allies.
Sanctuary: Can no longer be resized.
Healing spells for all classes: Half effectiveness.
Black Bubble, Underworld Flame, Wretched Oil, Fleeing Spectres, and Black Static no longer have a chance of inflicting their status effects.
Eternal Darkness: No longer increases Blind duration.

Uncertain about:
Charge Mind may give an unfair advantage to Evokers over other magic-based classes when inflicted with Silence. A possible change is that it can no longer be consumed while silenced, granting no bonus to spells cast. It would still be possible to activate, essentially preparing it for use after Silence has worn off.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]
other than the charge mind bit, this seems fair to me.

charge mind is evoker's signature skill that makes it different from mage, so i think it should always be usable.
Pretty against it.
There are enough ways to deal with Silence(Throatopener, Screamer,Silentprayer)and many melee classes have to deal with others things instead.(also melees are unable to dish out that much damage either)
Silence is a anti magic status effect which becomes litterally pointless when the person can still cast and deal 300 damage Sear or whatever.

If you can´t deal with Silence as a mage, you are doing something wrong.
Silence is stupid because it's potent and comes in many flavors and varities that pretty much every melee class gets.

VA's get KD+Silence
MG's get KD+Silence
Archer's get KD+I can snipe you across the map
Kensei gets Absolute Fear
Ghost gets Tank+Last Chance+WG
Monk gets KD
Verglas gets KD
Summoner gets Drown
Mage gets Black Bubble

The ways to cure Silence, currently are.

Throat Opener - Item Slot 3 M
Screamer - Weapon Slot 10% HP, 1 M
and Silent Prayer- Skill Slot, 10 FP, 3M

Those are the only ways to deal with Silence. And considering that most silence varieties come in KNOCKDOWN? Yeah. You lose 7 momentum to deal with silence. Only to get silenced next turn because there's no way to give immunity to it.

This is a 'decent' start, making things less broken than they already are. However, I would still like to see Silent Prayer actually getting a buff to provide Silence Immunity since it costs SP, FP, and 3M (as compared to a simple throat opener). That'd be the best.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11714#p11714 Wrote:Shujin » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:39 am[/url]"]Pretty against it.
There are enough ways to deal with Silence(Throatopener, Screamer,Silentprayer)
Those methods put you an action behind every time you use them, since methods of Silence infliction also do damage. If you're using Screamer in particular, it costs you a chunk of health to boot. Curing Silence is a futile effort if they can just continue to inflict it while also doing damage. Right now Screamer is mandatory for mages who don't want to be rendered completely helpless, and it shouldn't be.

Quote:and many melee classes have to deal with others things instead.
Name one status that shuts melee builds down as badly that mages don't also have to suffer with.

Quote:(also melees are unable to dish out that much damage either)
Depends on what they're using, and what exactly you're comparing. They can't rival the damage of invocations, which Silence would still prevent using.

Quote:Silence is a anti magic status effect which becomes litterally pointless when the person can still cast and deal 300 damage Sear or whatever.
Funny; read the list up there and you'll see that it still does more than any other status in the game. A status effect should provide an advantage. It should not be capable of guaranteeing that you win, under any circumstances. It should also not be capable of locking a character out of their entire skillset, which it can. The fact that there are ways to remove it in no way makes it any less overpowered when stacked up next to the other status effects. I agree that magic damage while silenced can be a potential problem, which is why I added the note about Charge Mind, which personally I am in favor of.

Quote:If you can´t deal with Silence as a mage, you are doing something wrong.
If you can't deal with a mage without relying on Silence, you're doing something wrong.
Silence has always been a thing to completely shut off mages for decades. So, I would have to disagree with the ability to still 'cast' the spells, even while silenced. In my years of fantasy RPG's, once you've silenced a mage, that's it. You know how to shut off melee with magic? Cast your spells before they can get close enough.

Which brings me to this:
Quote:However, I would still like to see Silent Prayer actually getting a buff to provide Silence Immunity since it costs SP, FP, and 3M (as compared to a simple throat opener). That'd be the best.
Yes, yes, 100% yes. Grant the things that cure Silence, a short duration of Silence Immunity.
I'd say to make Longterm Cure's Rank 5 effect apply to Silent Prayer.

That, or we make certain Promoted Class spells that see little use (or are deemed worthless afaik) able to be cast regardless of Silence. Such as, let's say, Wind Slasher?
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11718#p11718 Wrote:rosheka » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 am[/url]"]Silence has always been a thing to completely shut off mages for decades. So, I would have to disagree with the ability to still 'cast' the spells, even while silenced. In my years of fantasy RPG's, once you've silenced a mage, that's it.

[Image: TKhQ8z5.png]

You must be in the wrong section. This is a balance fu thread, and here we care about balance. What's traditional is irrelevant.
Quote:This is a balance fu thread, and here we care about balance.
Then why recommend such horrible and unbalanced things that make a caster just as useless as if they were silenced, or making the status just as useless? Like any of the Hexer spells you suggested not giving them the ability to inflict their status conditions, makes a Hexer ENTIRELY useless, since they are a caster class based solely on the fact to inflict status conditions.

Quote: What's traditional is irrelevant.
Have you ever played anything else other than SL2, that's fantasy based? It's not tradition. It's literally how things work.
Spells can be somatic, component, or verbally based. A 'spell' can be nullified depending on how it's cast.

If it's somatic, requiring movement (like in DND with Somatic Spells + Heavy Armor), you lower/nullify their chance to be cast by saying "You can't move." This happens by way of immobilization or crippling of movement in other ways.

If Verbal, you can gag them or silence them by other means.

If Component based, you destroy the thing they're using as a focus/using for the spell.

"Silence" is not the be-all-end-all to spells in Fantasy. Only in some RPGs (mostly JRPGs) is that the case.

As for

Quote:Black Bubble, Underworld Flame, Wretched Oil, Fleeing Spectres, and Black Static no longer have a chance of inflicting their status effects.

I'd like to see that this doesn't happen. What I do want to see is that the status affliction chance is lowered a good deal andddd that the "Worsening" curses become actual spells and are locked out of use when silenced. ((So you can't land a poison whilst silenced, then instantly make that poison worse with menov's))