Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mage Skill - Domain Mastery
So one of the things that bothered me about playing mages is... it's difficult (or impossible) to make a mage that specializes entirely in one element without being hard-countered to no end (seriously, once someone knows you're a specialized mage, unless your element is Ice and you're also a Verglas, you're done). To make this a bit more doable, I propose the following skill be added to Mage:

Domain Mastery
Ranks: 5
Type: Passive (Main Class only)
The character has learned that focus is power, and has applied this to a single domain to take it to new levels. While equipped, any Mage or Mage promotion spell cast that shares the domain of the first spell in your skill pool will ignore (X * Y)% elemental resistance, where X is skill rank and Y is the number of offensive Mage or Mage promotion spells equipped that share that domain.

Rank 1: Ignores 1% elemental resistance per spell.
Rank 2: Ignores 2% elemental resistance per spell.
Rank 3: Ignores 3% elemental resistance per spell.
Rank 4: Ignores 4% elemental resistance per spell.
Rank 5: Ignores 5% elemental resistance per spell. Additionally, if all equipped spells share the same domain, they ignore the target's elemental absorption and immunity.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]
Don't forget to make it a main class skill.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11903#p11903 Wrote:Trexmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:10 pm[/url]"]Don't forget to make it a main class skill.
Completely fair. I agree that it qualifies as one. And I don't think Mage has one yet, and it feels like it needs one.
I think this is fair. It's not overbearing, and let's people combat resist-all builds.

Am alternative idea would be for it to be an innate where all mage-promo skills ignore Spell rank *passive rank% elemental resistance. Or maybe it could be the higher of both options.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11905#p11905 Wrote:MegaBlues » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:12 pm[/url]"]I think this is fair. It's not overbearing, and let's people combat resist-all builds.

Am alternative idea would be for it to be an innate where all mage-promo skills ignore Spell rank *passive rank% elemental resistance. Or maybe it could be the higher of both options.

I mostly just wanted it to be for specializing in an element, since there's no reason to specialize in an element right now. If it were available to all spells unconditionally, people still wouldn't specialize. This way people who want to have the best of all worlds would have to accept the cost (being vulnerable to omni-resist), and people who focus would be good at breaking through those kinds of shenanigans at the cost of versatility.
Brb mainclass Evoker/Priest. Equipping ALL THE MERCALAN SKILLS FOR UNRESISTABLE LIGHTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!

I kinda like this. Though, I'd kind of like to see it be 'half' because if you go.. say fire?

4 fire skills. 20% Resistance drop to it (just from being mage alone). Will the Grand Summoner "Spells" count towards this? If anything, I think it should probably be limited to Mage/mage promo spells only. That way a specialized Evoker can ignore up to 25% of their main element. ((Unless they're running with like astral belt and stuff. In which case... pAIN))

Will it only be "Offensive type Spells" that count? If not, Earth has a clear advantage over the other spells due to it's 1 extra spell (albeit garbage) bringing it's earth negation up to 30%... It should, probably, cap at like 15% or 20% ignored so that it is still relatively possible to combat an overload or isenshi evoker if they plan to stick with that...

I'm down for it if it only applies to Mage (and promo) offensive type spells. Nothing gained from other classes.

Edit:

When I say nothing gained from other classes, I meant if you go run and use Grand Summoner to get more 'spells' in their repetoire to ignore all resistances. Namely because if you don't prep resistances and RES against an Evoker.. you pretty much get one shot from the sheer amount of damage before RES is applied.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=11907#p11907 Wrote:Rendar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 pm[/url]"]I'm down for it if it only applies to Mage (and promo) offensive type spells. Nothing gained from other classes.
This was actually what I had in mind, so that was an oversight on my part. Thank you for pointing it out, the description has been adjusted. I also want to make clear that I don't want this basically giving "weaknesses" to the elements by putting elemental resistance into the negatives. It shouldn't go any lower than 0%. As for the cap, I'm... honestly not sure how I feel about that. Players can already bring on a ton of damage reduction as it is, and not all of it is elemental resist (Evasion, Wraithguard, and Voidveil to name a few). If balance with the other elements is a problem, I think we should look towards adding an additional spell to each of the domains that are behind. I'm fine with it only taking into account offensive spells.
In a limited setting, this might work.

However, like Sderg already hinted at, this has an incredible power boost with classes that have a lot of one kind of domain. Suppose a Mage Promotion that has a lot of Nerifian domain spells comes along. What then? Do we have a fire mage that can throw spells with absolutely no fear of Elemental Resistance/Immunity/Absorb without any prior setup?

We also need to consider how spells with more than one element work with this. For instance, who wants to see Wretched Oil negate not only 25% Earth Resistance, but also 25% Darkness Resistance? That kind of ability can completely negate the drawbacks of a spell having more than one element.

That being said, it can still work.... with a lot more restrictions.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Wretched Oil is an Isepian type skill.

I wasn't hinting that it puts the resistances in negative though. I figured that was already a given.

However, I was more worried about certain things. ((looking at you CM Magaisendo for 500+ damage)) that ignores 20% Earth Resist.. which leaves a 'tank' without Void Veil, Evasion, or Wraith guard (( AKA; Every class but Rogues and Ghost )) with their only 'defense' option against a specialized mage being... Well. Still stacking a ton of resist, but only to that element.. and then promptly only being able to use Guard as a defense against it (or body of isesip, but that needs to be hit anyways).

Though, if it only works with Offensive type spells, the only spell (currently) at a loss is Lightning. Only by 5% however, and to make up for that it works great with high-crit builds and gets bonuses elsewhere to sort-of make up for it (aoe lightning spell when). So, I guess the only thing I really have to ask then is...

How do normal people that aren't Rogue or Ghost deal with this? Resistances were the only way to combat an evoker before, which made it relatively 'safe'. Hell, if you have an elemental weakness that can be abused by an evoker, this infinitely screws you over if your race is even remotely visible. Papilion? Hit with Earth. They can't stack RESIST to get out of 30% extra damage, because this nullifies it...

If anything, I'd like to see it only drop you to 0% if it can get you that low. You still keep whatever 'resist' you gain that puts you above it. So a Papilion with Gumshoes and 20% Isepian charm has 50% Earth Resist, minus 30 for Papilion. The Earth Evoker has 5 earth spells (as an example). They can't drop the Papilion into being "WEAK" or past 0%. They, at maximum, put the person at 0%, even if "ignoring resist" would put them lower than that.
Maybe it would be best for:

The negate resist to work for only the first element equipped
Be a solid 5% per rank of the passive
Only apply to mage promo spells
Be capable of reducing resist past 0%

I think that's fair. It encourages the use of one element, doesn't prioritize any element that might have an entire class, and ensures that crazy reductions won't occur in the future.

If this is added, hexer spells might need to have their damage reduced, but I think it's a good start.