Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another status infliction topic.
This is a post to get ideas rolling. Please be constructive with feedback. I think this is too broad a subject to be allowed to be based on my opinion alone, anyways.

Post sparked by http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.p...amp;t=2473

Let me share a little story. A story about attempting to make a purely pacifist character. And a story about Calm seeing numbers like 9 infiction vs 2 resistance at low levels. Yes. 7% status infliction at low levels. I shouldn't need to explain why this is downright dumb; a level 1 vs a level 1 should have similar odds as a level 20 vs a level 20 or a level 60 vs a level 60. This affects any number of characters, ranging from Wyverntouched to Doriads to Liches to Curates to Archers. And many more, post-LE.

My idea: A change to the current formulas. It currently stands as 3 stats vs 2. My proposal is 2 stats vs 2 with a "baseline" chance.

Current Formula: 1/2 will + skill + luck vs Res + Luck

My basic, to be built upon idea: 30 + will/2 + 3/4 skill vs Res + Luck

"BUT WAIT! That effectively gives the inflictor 30 luck under the current formula! That's not fair! Getting 30 luck is insane!

Correct. I DID say this was a basic idea to build on, so low levels can actually inflict ailments ever. I'm simply not done coming up with tweaks to make up for this yet. It just makes zero logical sense for low levels to be so unable to inflict ailments against other low levels, while level 60s apply them like they're tossing fistfuls of candy to distract children.

Anyways, any ideas on how to fine tune this idea to be more in-line with level 60 status infliction chances are welcome.
*loud burp*
Let the base chance change depend on the status you're attempting to inflict.

ie if you're trying to inflict a low-level burn, that has a higher base percentage of being inflicted than a high-level Hexer curse.
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
Status infliction can go into the triple-digits or the negatives, and that's a big part of what's making it so difficult to balance... especially when it's based on statistics that are flat values instead of rolls. I may as well pitch in my own formula.

Status infliction chance = (1/2 WIL + SKI + LUC + 20 + modifiers)% * (100 - opponent's RES/2 - LUC/2)% Result is then multiplied by (100 - status resist modifiers)%.

Some examples for this:

Late game WIL-based character: 60 WIL + 30 SKI + 30 LUC VS 50 RES + 30 LUC (Status infliction chance: 110% * 60% = 66% without modifiers)
Early game WIL-based character: 10 WIL + 8 SKI + 3 LUC VS 5 RES + 3 LUC (Status infliction chance: 36% * 97% = ~35% without modifiers) This is definitely a step up early-game.
Late game SKI-based character: 30 WIL + 60 SKI + 30 LUC VS 50 RES + 30 LUC (Status infliction chance: 125% * 75% = 50% without modifiers)
Early game SKI-based character: 8 WIL + 10 SKI + 3 LUC VS 5 RES + 3 LUC (Status infliction chance: 37% * 97% = ~36% without modifiers)

To change those higher values up a bit to a high infliction VS low resistance character:
60 WIL + 30 SKI + 30 LUC VS 20 RES + 30 LUC (Status infliction chance: 110% * 75% = ~82% without modifiers)
30 WIL + 60 SKI + 30 LUC VS 20 RES + 30 LUC (Status infliction chance: 125% * 75% = ~93% without modifiers)

This would help alleviate the triple-digit infliction, as well as completely prevent negative infliction. I don't really have anything further to contribute, so best of luck to you.

Edit: I'm bad at math, I'm sorry.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]