Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aid
Throughout the history of SL2, this skill has been a three-in-one utility:
1. Solid healing
2. Quick and easy Ki booster
3. Puts you right outside of an enemy's melee range

At the same time, these three benefits have made it one of the most aggravating, abused and imbalanced skills to ever see use in MA's class tree. Here's a few examples of what I mean:
-It enables runaway tactics that screw over anyone without solid range and/or movement options and even those with said options.
-The 3M Ki building present in this healing skill makes Power Up, a fellow Ki-building Monk skill (which is actually balanced), quite obsolete in comparison.
-Enables Golden Glow at a much quicker pace with very little risk involved. (It's quite difficult to pin someone down when they're constantly moving and healing)
-Combined with Meditate, it allows an MA to achieve infinite healing, with a combination of running away, popping Aid, and then using meditate to restore both HP and FP. Rinse and repeat, for there's very little that can counteract this kind of crap.

While this is a pretty good overview of how much damage Aid has done, I'm sure that a lot of people can share more examples (or specifics) about how Aid has generally broke into their house, ate their sweet rolls, stole their wife and blew up the kids.

That being said: How, exactly, can we make Aid respectable? My idea is this:

1. Aid can no longer target the user; it can only target other allies.

While this does not completely shut out the quick Ki-building (given the user has allies to use it on), it does prevent the aforementioned infinite healing, and will leave MA with very little room to play runaway on its own.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Considering that all monk has to do is play defensively to win, sure.
Tanky mage monks are almost invincible right now so I'll take any power clipping we can get. Hopefully meditate gets taken down a few pegs alongside Aid.
As powerful as monks are in general with a knockdown, guard break, autohits, mass movement increase etc. etc.

I don't see how aid should continue to function as it does now. Meditate is a bit of an issue as well, specially if you're slower than your opponent, which imo shouldn't be an advantage to that extent-- but this topic is about aid.

Plus I've always been a fan of party support skills on classes that are generally capable of being solo (Castling comes to mind. ) +1

Though I am curious as to the interaction with summoned mobs as well...could I cast it on a butterfly?
[Image: b89f62f8ce.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m7g6clz79C1rpqqpz.gif] I'm also still Batman.
+1
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
I'm down for this. However, if we're making it ally only, I would possibly like to see a small boost to it (considering only tankmages really benefit from it to a high degree of healing). Maybe providing a small amount of DR to the ally that has it used upon them, or different bonuses depending on what your ki level is?
Sure, why not. They do already have Meditate for healing, after all.

Completely personal note: Outside of the "level as one class for growths then switch to another at high levels" method, I do find Monk underpowered purely due to it's growths (0% Will for Aid, pffft) and requirement for varied stats. I do, however, understand and appreciate how stupid strong they get if levelled as the proper classes, so I see why this change is clamored for. I'm simpy pointing out that it might also be nice to find a way to standardize Monk a bit more so it's not terrible for levelling due to growths, and amazing once already at 60.
*loud burp*
Random revamp idea time:

4 Momentum. Still only used once per round.
(Wil + (Ki * 2)) heal on the targeted Ally, teleports to their side. (Though it'd be better if it was like Retaliate but more linear, like a Wretched Oil projectile)
Can be used on self just for the Woki bonus, but no healing and no movement.

Doubles Woki bonuses for (1 * Rank) rounds, and no longer recovers Ki on use.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I don't mind but I did change Aid to be once per turn instead in the update I'm working on. Not sure which is more desirable.
You have already made Aid once per turn in the current update. We have seen Aid under that circumstance, and it is still not even remotely adequate to addressing its issues. I still throw my entire support in favor of making the spell an exclusively ally-targeted heal.