Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new type of skill..!?
We've got your buffs and debuffs, autohits and your hitrate-nerfing-but-have-cool-effects-attacks, and a handful of somewhat unique skills here or there. I want something different from all of these: Desperation Attacks. tl;dr abilities that have abysmal hitrate cuts when you're at full health and are about as easy to pull off as a normal attack when you're at low health. They would range in utility, but all of them would come with a consequence of some sort.

ie a spear skill called 'Impale' that allows you to throw your spear as hard as you can at any enemy within 6 tiles. If it lands, it inflicts immobile for two turns and then restricts the victim's opponent movement by 3 for the remainder of the fight. The consequence for this skill would be that you will have lost your main weapon, and would now have to rely on your sub weapon (unless you used this skill with ambi and your sub was a spear).

Having this new classification would make rebalancing skills like El and Execute that are also meant to be desperation moves easier, too. I'm not sure yet if these skills would be put onto the class board or would be added as a new trait (ie Special 2), but I think they'd be a great addition to the game.
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
I'm not opposed to the idea, but we also need to consider PVP balance.

Using your example of Impale, something like giving a permanent -3 Move for the remainder of the fight that can't be removed would result in an outroar; peple already clamor for a nerf to existing -Mov skills, and while their effects are indeed much stronger, they wear off reasonably quickly and can be removed via some means. So then Impale gets made removabe, and that would negate the entire point of sacrificing one of your weapons. (Unless it's like some silly Duelist/MA gimmick build where you ditch the spear to acquire Empty Palm and fist skills, I guess?)

I do personally feel that the vast majoroty of skills are too similar, with "barely buffs" that cost too much for a duration short enough to require regular re-application (Seriously, until Pacifist Boon came along with it's duration bonus, it was really REALLY hard to justify sinking 5 SP and a skill slot into Invigoration. And that's one of the most practical ones.) and a solid chunk of skills basically just being different ways to deal similar amounts of damage. I'd like to see more creative options, but unfortunately, I can't really see them going over all that well.
*loud burp*