Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silence: The Musical. Wait, what?
So the recent thread about Silent Prayer (See: http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.p...amp;t=2646) got me thinking. And I didn't want to derail that topic.

Silence, right now, is in a very awkward place. It's either debilitating to a fault, or a complete nonissue. Attacks that do damage and can apply Silence (like Cutthroat, Nightflower weapons, etc) are good because the mage spends 3m removing the silence, while skills like Absolute Fear are like "... congratulations, you both wastred 3M on a pointless tradeoff."

So that got me thinking about the larger issue: Silence itself.

Silence is a complete shutdown to an unprepared mage. As such, every caster who does any PVP is required to be prepared for it. This leads to a very awkward predicament where silence is both amazing and useless at the same time, because it can just be removed as easily as it's applied, but removing it is a must.

So I got to thinking: What if Silence was replaced by a % Chance to fail a spell, like with hesitation?

Just hear me out: It indirectly gives a buff to skills that cause silence without doing damage, because the mage may decide it's not worth 3m to remove it, so the effect is not wasted if it does pull through. It also nerfs skills that cause Damage + Silence to be less debilitating to a mage, since it doesn't effectively rob the mage of 3M guaranteed.

We'd need to rename the ailment, of course, but it may not be a bad idea, considering.
*loud burp*
I'd be all for this, as long as Hesitation doesn't currently affect offensive spells already. I've seen a lot of QQing over high levels of Hesitation, and letting it double-dip against magic-users wouldn't be nice.
I'm in agreement. We shoudn't make hesitation some kind of omni-tool. As it stands, hesitation only works against Basic attacks and skills performing basic attacks (Sidecut, Repel, etc) and that's a fine place for it to be.
*loud burp*
I'm not convinced making something RNG is the way to balance it. This ain't Dungeons & Dota.