Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Black Knight] Board Shaker
In light of the BW system, and Dev's recent comments on Bodyguards in the BW balancing thread, I feel Board Shaker really needs a few changes.

For any non BKs, here's the info, ripped straight from the Wiki:

You slam your foot into the ground, shaking the earth around you and dealing Earth magic damage to all enemies in a 2 Range circle equal to your STR + your torso's weight, to a maximum based on Rank.

Type Offensive
Max Rank 5
Class Black Knight
Range Self

3 M
25/28/31/34/37 FP
Power icon Power STR + Torso Weight
Target icon Target Circle (2)
Enemy only Enemy Only
Max Damage 25/50/75/100/125

The major issues with the skill.

1) Enemy Resistance is applied -AFTER- the cap. This means that at rank 1, you're seriously doing 2-3 damage against level 30-ish jammers, even if you somehow had 80 Str and 49 (I -think- this is the heaviest one can possibly get a bodyguard) Weight. "Oh, just don't use it until higher ranks!" Yeah, I'm getting to that.

2) That FP cost. How much FP do BKs have? Answer: Pathetically low amounts, with no FP management skills unless Hyattr or subbing a class with them. Simply put, using it is simply not an option! Even a mid-level Hyattr BK/GS that isn't summoning simply can't keep up with higher ranks of this skill! (I'm not just throwing this statement around lightly; I HAVE a hyattr BK/GS!)

3) ... So... in all seriousness... considering the skill isn't even really realistically viable for the vast majority of BKs... we can safely say "It is not worth using a bodyguard just to get the most out of this skill, if it means taking penalties to your hit." So... we're looking at maybe half plate weight, then? Which means... the skill... is even less viable, because of those costs and mechanics?

Example Character: Before and After

I have a friend with a level 60 BK that has 49 strength. Which is quite high, considering that we're lacking classes with high STR growths that aren't arbalests.

Before: 49 + 48 (Carapace Bodyguard weight) = 97 damage before resistance.
After: 49 + 20-30 (rough range for a halfplate) = 69-79 (Capped at 75 at rank 3) before resistance.

... and this is for 31-37 FP. Listen, I'm not a theoretical physicist, but this simply isn't right.

Tweak Suggestions:

1) Apply damage normally, with a cap. For example, if you would do 40 damage without the cap and it's rank 1, lower it to 25, but against an enemy with more res, that you'd only do 20 on, do 20 instead of 25 (as opposed to the 5 it does, presently!) Resistance will not be useless, but it won't completely crap all over the skill, either.

2) Holy geez, lower the FP costs. Especially now that Axe/Spear Special Attacks are a thing, Board Shaker's cost is prohibitively high with no real justification. Even 20 would be a hell of an FP guzzler for them, and 37 is almost double that. Perhaps make higher ranks cost less, to encourage investing in it despite not being able to reach the cap anyways? Like how some skills cost less at high ranks, instead of the reverse?

That's right. I'm not asking to make it stronger or anything. I just want it to be -FUNCTIONAL.- Actually usable. Lower damage? Fine. I'm fine with that. So long as the skill gets lower costs so one can actually get some USE out of it. Especially since it is very possible for Board Shaker to do less damage than normal attacks.
*loud burp*