Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Death
So, for the longest time now, Hyattr's Fire Breath has been pretty rediculous. It's far from uncommon to see Hyattrs with at least 70 if not 80 VIT using it, so the numbers it hits for are generally between 180-200 (before resistances and defenses, at least). Of course, if they use Channel Destruction, they dont care what your defenses are, and you'll need a -lot- of resistance for it to matter.

The issues I see with it right now is while it carries a high FP cost, it reaches levels of damage that far surpass most skills that utilize a weapon -and- a bonus from rank. Fire Breath without either Channel augment isn't the worst thing ever, but I feel the damage it deals could afford to be reduced to VIT x 1.5 (still keeping the half character level bonus).

Now, the second issue is when it gets used with Channel Destruction. The cinders deal half the power of Fire Breath each time they're tripped. The cinders left behind ignore defenses, meaning Flamewalk and resistances are the only way you'll reduce the damage. Problem is, this is very often not enough to not get killed by them.

It'll often be combined with Forced Move or Charge > Bash, meaning you can expect to get pulled through all of it and back again if you're in Forced Move range. Sure, you can move away to avoid this, but, I dont think Hyattrs just getting a 'move or die' 6m move is good.
I would say a good way to help toward balancing this move would be the damage reduction, yes and to also convert cinders to sear tiles, still keeping the same damage.
I think adjusting VIT scaling to * 1.5 should be enough. The cinder damage will be lowered alongside, and I doubt a well-prepared character is going to easily die to those. (unless they let themselves into the trap or they're in the universally broken 'party vs party' situation)
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
The issue, I believe, is unresistable damage that occurs multiple times in a row. I.E. the same reason that Needles, Will/Luck-based weapon damage, and Rapid Kick's ice damage were all nerfed.

So yes, nerf please. Having it be sear tiles is justified, along with the Vit reduction. (especially since i'm not a huge fan of defensive stats being used offensively)
In 1.57b;

- Fire Breath's damage has been reduced to 1.5x VIT + half of character level. Cinders left behind by Channel Destruction now have a LV equal to half of your character level instead of half of the damage the skill deals.

---

Personally I would have been okay with it being 2x VIT under different circumstances since the main problem is the high Cinder damage, but whatever.