Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elemental resistance and items
I feel that items that give high resistances to the elements in the accessory and boot slots should also give weaknesses= to half the resist they give, as it is possible to gain a plethora of resists in the games current state.

this allows you to gimp elemental monsters as they only have 6m for the most part and cannot do a follow up after their failure of an attack

( I use water resist to gimp goblins for example so they cant use explosion .

also any weakness regardless of the % should trigger the WEAK bonus.
does no one have an opinion on this?
No~one replied because it's a bad idea and everyone
realizes it. Currently, we need ~more~ resistances,
not less. Even as the player of an Evoker, I honestly
believe that the class is overpowered as fuck.

However! I feel like the right way to go adding more
resistances is flat numbers, rather than pecentages.
Something like Resist Ice 10, or Resist Fire 15. These
would provide flat reductions which are a little more
effective against original damage numbers below 100.
Flat elemental resistances wouldn't trigger the M loss.
They would simply act just like your RES, just they'd
only work against qualifying damage sources.
I think that wild resistances will be an issue when we get more magic-based classes.

Until Evoker isn't the only magic-based damage dealer, it's hard to get a good point of reference.
That's true. Until we see a second Mage promotion, it'll
be hard to tell exactly what is or isn't a problem.
I'd rather resist gear be flat numbers and the RES stat being a % reduction. but you can't always get what you want.

currently you can do what I call the anti mage troll

Some doomed weapon (if only I could doom a red letter)
a cloak of many colors with low lightning resist so its other resists are higher
a max resist beldam aegis
earth/fire or ice shoes
sayakana
circle ring if you don't care about will, if you do, some resist item.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now lets math

with a doomed weapon&sayakana+ cloak of many colors that puts the ice, wind, fire and lightning at the 18-24 zone

with mancy talents you can get +5 ice, fire, earth, and wind so....

with a plain 10 even split cloak you get RESIST on three elements with just these, a earth boot and beldam aegis gives you RESIST to all an evokers elements, and you still have 1 free accessory slot

25% ice, wind, fire, 55% lightning, 45% earth resist.
you could grab a nice dandy reflects half light damage, dark damage, or you could grab water resist from a umbrella. Or bring a spirit mirror to be a real jerk

now then with classes some real mayhem can occur

basically some combination of VA/MONK/Ghost
Monk increases all resistances by moar and ohshitinvincibru
Va has dark resist and magic resist
Ghost has wraithguard
And then along comes the Kensei and fucks up your day.
VA and Ghost are supposed to bring problems to mages. That's basically their niche, one being a direct anti-mage and the other one have high res growths and abilities that scale off res. Monks are just really defensive in general.

I'm basically with Mega on this one. We should wait for other mage classes to see if it's really a problem. As they are now, you need those resists just to be on even footing with evokers because they effectively ignore part of your res with CM and res is generally hard to get without screwing your build.
fair enough, its just with resists, the only valid melee elemental is ensui as you can make water weaknesses.

Laudau, Narcus, kirosh, setsuna, LB imbue, and elemental badges often bite you in the ass when an enemy resists them and reduces your M

Its bad enough most of these VS def which reduces more damage than res will usually, they also hit weaker than spells.

heck the dragon swords telegraph their use to the world and your enemy will always be a jerk and equip some resists.