Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sear and Cobra Dance
I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug but it certainly seems like it. I've been using Cobra for a while (yeah yeah, burn me at the stake, just make sure you use sear) and I've noticed that when I'm targeted in the Sear area of effect, I dodge, move, dodge, and then finally take the damage as if the game is casting sear three times. I'm sure it's more complex than that, but I vaguely recall Cobra used to just dodge once even against Sear. I don't dodge cinder or sear tile damage either!
Not dodging cinder tiles with Cobra is intentional as far as I can remember. The other part sounds like a bug to me though.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Cobra works by stepping out of the way. Not being able to dodge AOEs you're in the middle of is intentional, since you can't step out of the way. The damage starts in the middle and spreads outwards.
*loud burp*
Quote:Had this same thing happen to me but only with certain enemies, I think. It's been a bit random for me. I'm going to see if I can test this a bit.

What I was about to post just before Ranylyn posted. After reading that previous post, that would explain it. Monsters are stupid and only use an AOE if they can directly target a player with it, so someone, likely you, will always be in the middle. You have about a 25% chance to not get hit by it if you have both dodges still, because assuming Sear works like Ranylyn's saying, you step out of the center into more damage and then step into yet another damage registry if you don't step back into the center on the second dodge.

I'm still going to test this a bit though.
[Image: 43061579a09db588952b04fe4c658928.png]
Update: Tested this with my Evoker (who has no stats allocated, but that doesn't matter for testing this) against two of my Demon Hunters at the same time. I repeatedly placed the two Demon Hunters close to each other, facing the same direction, and then used Sear from the direction they were facing, putting one of the DH's dead center each time.

Both got hit. Sometimes.

As I guessed, it's purely based on the luck of which direction you dodge each time. It's hard to tell this because the dodges happen instantly.

Center DH: If they actually manage to avoid damage, they just flicker as if they should have sidestepped but remain in that spot, because they've really jumped out and back into that same tile over Sear's effect.

Outer DH: Generally, just as likely to take damage, although still capable of coming out of it unscathed. Possible outcomes include: expending a dodge, expending both dodges, and expending both dodges shortly before taking damage anyway. Being on the outermost rim seems to ensure only expending one dodge.

For both: Almost always hit by the second Sear, with the rare exception the outer DH had another dodge and managed to make it out again as well.

"KhalidtheGrey" Wrote:I don't dodge cinder or sear tile damage either!
As Fern said, this is intentional. You will not dodge damage you take from tiles at the start of the round, nor will you dodge damage you take from moving across them. This is more to your advantage, because it preserves your dodge counters for what matters.

That being said, like I expected before I read anything else, Snake Dancer's movement does not activate 'on step' tile effects. You don't get hit by seared tiles as you're evading Sear. That's just you not lucking out and getting hit anyway.

Anyway, if all of this information satisfies you, please mark the thread as solved, since it's not really a bug. Dev's going to have enough on his plate as it is.
[Image: 43061579a09db588952b04fe4c658928.png]
Yeah I didn't think it would be a bug to dodge tile damage, I was just mentioning since I was wondering how the sear worked and if it was moving me from one tile into another that was making me proc it repeatedly. But I see how it works now. I was just wondering why sear was absolutely destroying me. :x I guess it's just my dumb (read: abysmal) luck making me get roasted 100% of the time.
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!