Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeons
Some black door dungeons have mazes with corridors a tile in width. Depending on the type, some black door dungeons (Crypt, IIRC I think there was one more) suffer from "door looks like a wall" syndrome. Not to sound like a shitbaby, but black door dungeons aren't fun to traverse. Desert dungeons are great because their open room gimmick lets you skip the room-to-room/corridor-crawling dynamic that 90% of dungeons have going on.

I doubt this will be popular, but I think black door dungeons should have smaller floors/less rooms. They're a chore to go through, and anything alleviating the slog would be nice.
Crypts have suffered from the doors/walls looking extremely similar since they were made, and odds are it won't be fixed until someone makes new walls/doors for 'em.

I've already posted something akin to this before, actually --> http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2106

As to your suggestion, I wouldn't want less floors in a dungeons. It'd make clear rewards worse and high level mobs harder to find. I think Dev made floors larger as they went on awhile back. So odds are that's gonna stay the way it is. This does make the Giant prefix god-awful though.

Personally I'd be down for making floors past the first not scale up as quickly in size and cap at a certain point, if they don't already. Like, after 4-5 floors, they won't get any bigger. (seeing as the absolute most right now is 9~ floors).
Better generations for the dungeons aptly known as 'noodle hells' would be immensely helpful, I agree.
A bit of a necropost but I just wanted to say that I am aware of this issue and at some point, I would like to do one of a few things.

One would be try to improve the generation of random dungeons to be more interesting. Something like the Castle dungeon is a good example, since that can spawn several different room types and is probably one of the least offensive/best themes. However, since I'm using a third party library for dungeon generation, it can be tricky to figure out what's going on when something goes wrong, and so might necessitate me having to write my own random dungeon generator for SL2 if I wanted to do this. Not opposed but would rather not do it unless I can be reasonably sure it'll be an improvement.

Another option would be to have random dungeons be instances of existing dungeons or inspired by them to some degree, for example, Argentyle Caverns, with certain differences such as locked doors and chests in some places. This could be a good way to recycle some of the one-time bosses like Feathered Serpent and Mirror Knight in an interesting way. Finally, we could just add more static dungeons like Argentyle/Baikai to alleviate the need for random dungeons. This might be the 'ultimate' solution at some point down the line if/when we run the risk of memory issues due to excessive z-levels that random dungeons use.

I'm not sure what or when I'll do about the issue yet. It probably wouldn't be for a while, or at least, in the case of Option C, it's a more gradual thing I'm going to be doing anyway (since I like making dungeons). However, I hear your concerns about dungeons having too many annoying doors, being too cramped, being too big, and having too many floors, etc.
Having a progressing dungeon system (and maybe a few quests to go along with it, similar to jammer caverns) would be the most newbie-friendly option imo, revamping the goblin cave by dormeho, the volcano down to Kinu and etc...

I think these could be a lot better for dungeon/item/level grinding in general and take away from the pain that is waiting for a dungeon your level to -maybe- spawn, it could also be a better gathering spot for random adventurers to meet ICly and prove as a good roleplay source, so that's actually a really good idea to back up, even if its a little bit of extra effort(then again, so is creating a whole new RANDOM generation system)

Each dungeon should have a unique battlefield, like castles and black doors have now, this would also bring back the market on specific resist items like sunglasses and umbrellas to deal with the pests of the specific themed dungeons etc.

Item drops could also be tied to the dungeon level this way, and to the dungeon itself, like bandits dropping all the +steal% chance weapons, and specifc rarity weapons coming from dungeons in x level range

So overall I think that statics spread across level ranges would actually be a better way to go here.

I look forward to more dungeon updates, I end up spending about half my time in said dungeons and thank you for looking into this a bit more.
"Spoops" Wrote:Better generations for the dungeons aptly known as 'noodle hells' would be immensely helpful, I agree.

I've heard them called 'swastika mazes,' myself.