Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Great Reckoning, Part 2 - A hint of things to come.
I think the injury system seems neat, though the chance and severity of inflictions seems a bit high. I would rather see both of these chances based upon maximum hp rather than a static cap. That, or remaining hp.

Also, as a side note, a few minor stat bonuses from things like Fluency are going to vanish, and I'd like to see a free stat reset given out so that people like me won't miss out on skill slots due to lowered Will.

Other than that, I have no complaints! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see it all implemented.
I have a... well. I have a dislike for something.

Quote:Gaining Afflictions
While in combat, when you take damage, if there's an affliction associated with that damage type, there's a (damage taken/20)% chance that you will suffer from an affliction. The only times this can't happen are during a new PvP setting called 'Sparring', which will prevent wounds from being applied. If you suffer from an affliction, it has a severity linked to the amount of damage dealt; These can be; Minor, Moderate, Major, Severe, Crippling. The severity of the wound is equal to (damage dealt/30), rounded down, to a maximum of 5. It determines how hard it is to treat, as well as the impact it has on your stats. Treated wounds have a much less noticeable impact.

With this system, 200 damage is a 10% chance to inflict a CRIPPLING injury. Hell, 150 is enough to ensure that CRIPPLING is what you give someone. This really shouldn't be the case... I'd like to see that shifted upward to 45 (since some characters can very easily deal 150+ damage consistently against 60 defense because offense stats are built around having 30% DR and 50% defense or just flat out dodging but...

If we can see that raised to Damage Dealt/45 from /30, we'd see a lot less CRIPPLING INJURIES unless like. Someone flat out attempts to maim you with a friggin excel weapon fully charged with a massively powerful voltiger sidecut or silcut. It'd make Charge Mind and the like good for if you really wanna fuck a person up.
I could see bumping up the amount you divide the % chance for wound infliction by a bit (either +5 or +10 on top of the existing 20) but I wouldn't say it's nearly as bad as Rendar explained.

Except maybe Voltiger (which is a seperate topic in and of itself).

EDIT: Another idea I had was to make Defence and Resistance give a bonus to the amount you divide the damage by (I.E. the 20 in condition infliction). Maybe Defence (or Resistance)/10?
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
The infliction rates aren't a problem; if anything, Mega and Rendar's suggestions would likely make wound infliction so rare that no one realizes the system exists until the stars align with a nuke blasting someone's HP in half.

However, I'm concerned that as the system currently stands, Crippling wounds are going to be the most common, whereas Minor wounds would be the rarest, since both the chance of wound infliction AND the severity of the wound depend on how high the damage is. That doesn't really sound right; you would accrue more minor cuts and scratches than you would get gaping wounds, I believe.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
As someone still recovering from simply stepping on a can (and as a result of this, losing so much blood that I became nauseous from it within a very short time frame ; and I basically just shaved a bit off the side of my foot. Guess I hit a major blood vessel somehow.) a few weeks ago, I'd like to play devil's advocate. Small scratches and scrapes are more common in daily life, but in actual combat? Many historical duels ended with both combattants bleeding out shortly (as in a few minutes) after the match had been decided. I think that when things that can easily puncture the skin are involved, it's far more likely to suffer a more serious cut than a minor scratch.

I mean, I get why, from a balance perspective, why people would prefer more minor scratches, but consider how little an injury actually takes to be considered "crippling" in real life; if you stub your toe or roll your ankle, your ability to move is hampered. If you pull a muscle in your arm, it may be too much to even lug a bag of groceries in that hand while it still hurts. It makes practical sense for deeper injuries to be more common than shallow ones from a perspective analyzing combat.
*loud burp*
Because, from the look of things, Ranlyn, you can take ninety damage (90) and take a MAJOR cut wound. Which applies in that combat and can't be cured (from what I see) until after.... Which implies that if someone smacks you for 150 damage, lands a crippling wound on you... you just flat out lose 5% of your maximum HP.

This can also stack with literally all of the other types of open wounds, etc etc. Meaning that you can begin to lose a lotttttttttt of stuff from people who, presumably, can dish out pierce, blunt, cutting, etc. Changing your damage type (or even being a multi-mage) will become much more severe and, lets be real. If you thought hexer was bad before, you're in for a bad time with those pathogens and poison my friend.. because that's gonna make that shit infected real quick.
Sounds like the already-shite Ether Invitation and Ghost Class get yet another nerf applied to them with this update.

And considering what Rendar said about Hexer and classes that can deal multiple magic damage types: it makes me even more reticent about them receiving any type of buff.

I am interested in seeing if there are natural resistances or weaknesses for every Race.

Lastly, I'd like to see the Affliction % chance capped at 100% pre-Prevention (so that way it's not dead in the water) if not already.

Thoughts, Dev?
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Devotion sounds neat, only question I have is...Where is mah Kraken altar!? ò.ó (kidding)

About the affliction system what I would like to know is, if you have let´s say a rank 2 affliction from a slash wound and happen to get one more, do they add up? (I assume yes)
Anyway Hexer....They have two damage types yes, but as far as I see it ,that is a handicap for wound infliction. Why?
lets say you do like 120 damage wretched oil (For simplicity we assume equal earth/dark damage) that means 60 damage each-> 60/20=3 ....So 3% chance to even CAUSE and affliction. I assume that wouldbe two rolls for the two differnt elements. so in the rare case you hit one of that it´s still just 60/30= 2 ...So a level 2 injury

I don´t see how thats THAT cancerous. Or do I understand the system wrong? Poison, which I don´t think needs an extra affliction, would be the only problem damage wise from Hexer.(unless we use all of the Hexers damage modifiers of course)
"Rendar" Wrote:With this system, 200 damage is a 10% chance to inflict a CRIPPLING injury. Hell, 150 is enough to ensure that CRIPPLING is what you give someone. This really shouldn't be the case... I'd like to see that shifted upward to 45 (since some characters can very easily deal 150+ damage consistently against 60 defense because offense stats are built around having 30% DR and 50% defense or just flat out dodging but...

Understandable concern and maybe the level will be adjusted after some testing, perhaps based on your character level, or something.

"Exxy" Wrote:Lastly, I'd like to see the Affliction % chance capped at 100% pre-Prevention (so that way it's not dead in the water) if not already.

Thoughts, Dev?

I'm not sure I understand? The damage required to get an affliction with a proc rate of 100% would one-shot any character. Either I'm misunderstanding what you're asking or you think the chance is much higher than it actually is.

"Shujin" Wrote:Devotion sounds neat, only question I have is...Where is mah Kraken altar!? ò.ó (kidding)

About the affliction system what I would like to know is, if you have let´s say a rank 2 affliction from a slash wound and happen to get one more, do they add up? (I assume yes)
Anyway Hexer....They have two damage types yes, but as far as I see it ,that is a handicap for wound infliction. Why?
lets say you do like 120 damage wretched oil (For simplicity we assume equal earth/dark damage) that means 60 damage each-> 60/20=3 ....So 3% chance to even CAUSE and affliction. I assume that wouldbe two rolls for the two differnt elements. so in the rare case you hit one of that it´s still just 60/30= 2 ...So a level 2 injury

I don´t see how thats THAT cancerous. Or do I understand the system wrong? Poison, which I don´t think needs an extra affliction, would be the only problem damage wise from Hexer.(unless we use all of the Hexers damage modifiers of course)

1) I'm not sure how common it would be to worship elemental gods unless you're a druid but like I said, I am fully intending to expand the number of gods.
2) They add up, yes.
3) Not all damage types have an affliction associated with them. Hexers probably won't be inflicting many, but yes, it is a detriment to them being able to cause them. I don't really see this as an issue, though.

---

As a last note, I will be hosting the beta starting tomorrow, Sunday, at some point. Like last time the server will likely be up sporadically, but I'll keep you updated on when I put it back up, also like last time.
"Neus" Wrote:
"Exxy" Wrote:Lastly, I'd like to see the Affliction % chance capped at 100% pre-Prevention (so that way it's not dead in the water) if not already.

Thoughts, Dev?

My concern was lying in the % chance to cause an affliction being higher than 100%, therefore completely negating Prevention having a use as a Talent to pick (because 130% - 30% is still 100%).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy