Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix the lag™
The server's experiencing 'flash-stepping' issues a lot more lately, as in it's happened two times within 24 hours by now, and we can't go pinging Scias every time the server begins experiencing those issues, sometimes he's not around and sometimes its just plain unfair given that it's happening a lot more frequently than before, so I ask of you to make fixing the lag a priority, because the flash stepping gets to a point where the game just is unplayable, monsters are impossible to encounter correctly, Urawaza can't be inputted, and various other things.
(+10000)

Two 'flash-step FPS issues' in less than 12 hours are no joke.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I think it might be a problem with the current last 10 iterations of byond, as they cause quite a few games issues
"Lolzytripd" Wrote:I think it might be a problem with the current last 10 iterations of byond, as they cause quite a few games issues

Either way, whoever's side it is that's causing the issues, something needs to be done about it, that's the point.
It's a BYOND issue, you would do well to report it on the BYOND forums. If I see such a bug report then I will provide details where I can if Lummox asks for them.
Why can't you? You're right, I wouldn't have any of the details, its not like it's crashing, and I don't feel comfortable posting on the forum with absolutely no knowledge of how BYOND works in the first place.
Most, if not all of the lag and clipping came in Update 1.60 with the following change.

Adjusted - Before saving a house file, the game will, at the first save of the day, create a temporary backup file of that file. (This is mainly a temporary preventation measure to help deal with any houses that fail to save and load properly, while I investigate the cause.)

Try disabling this feature for an update, or even for just a little bit, and see how the server performs without it. Make a back up of the house saves prior to this to make it a fail safe. If the lag lightens up with this being disabled, we can safely assume it's this.
It could also be anything related to the story but yes lets try that first.
bai kai increased the active mob threshold by a good 40

argyle caverns has ...50+

chinotoa rocks 30+

fort 20+

goblin caves 20+

staticdungeons, if they all get loaded can easilly cover 100+ mobs

making these jammer cave style chance encounters, would fix some lag.
Dungeons don't actually load mobs and have them walk around unless a person is on that floor. This was used to reduce lag by a ton back in the day. Though it might still be a thing for certain dungeon-ish areas...

I'd still suggest the house save thing first, and if that doesn't fix it, look into making the encounters like the jammer cavern. Would probably save upon CPU.