Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only you can prevent altar fires
Firespitters have incredibly strong self-destructs that completely destroy the unprepared player, but instead of toning down the damage numbers..

How about if water damage prevented self-destruct from being used for a certain time, similar to how can dampen a forgery or a lava slime to prevent their effects.
I think this is pretty unneeded; it costs 6M to use, and there's nothing in Firesplitter fights that can prevent you from moving, short of being boxed in in Crazies/Arena. They're already trivial. I don't think they should be made more trivial to a very specific damage type with relatively few sources by comparison to some others.
*loud burp*
It's more about the theming of the dungeon but okay.
If you find yourself adjacent to a firespitter and you ~really~ can't move away, there's all kinds of things you can do. Knockdown, knockback, Book Smack, etc.
Keep in mind in stylish fights firespitters can literally walk up to you and explode.
Stylish is very nonstandard and weird. They can also only explode for... what was it, 1/3 of normal damage?
1/2 and it doesn't matter, water should be a strong tool to bring into a fire altar, and most of the monsters in there have some of their gimmicks hampered by water damage, even the boss monster.
I don't see why you could say this is un-needed; it's like saying any 'flavoring' outside of a bare-bones combat system is un-needed (besides, the Lava Slime has a similar effect IIRC).

+1 to the idea of incorporating a water-themed "Dousing" effect to Firebloods/Firespitters the OP.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Don't forget; I'm the one who suggested Risu could sometimes have a bad day with her old text, purely for flavor. I'm completely on board with giving the world more flavor and I love things like washing off the Jammer Beta acid. Which despite doing only 1 acid damage is, hilariously, a much bigger threat than firesplitters will ever be outside of Stylish, purely for the damage to your weapon. Yeah, firesplitters are THAT non-threatening.

The major difference in using the Lava Slime as justification is that Firesplitters are literally zero threat (outside of Stylish, as mentioned, which everyone but me avoids because "it takes too long" and I avoid because of the firesplitters, actually) to anyone with the common sense to hit and run, just like Legumes. (Coincidentally, these also had a thread to neuter them not that long ago.) While, on the flipside, the Lava Slime doesn't even need to attack anyone to kill them if they use melee basics. I've seen a dagger dancing Kensei/VA go down in one round just to the retaliation damage. Disabling this makes much more sense.

Now. Would I COMPLAIN if this was added? Probably not, outside of MAYBE some (hopefully) comedic grumbling about how idiot kids these days can't even move their legs. My opposition to this stems mostly from the fact that Dev's time would be better spent being put towards fixing all the bugs not found in beta because everyone was too busy smashing one anothers' faces in to actually test anything else.

(That, and, you don't want one damage type to completely invalidate an entire classification of monster - especially when that monster literally only has one threat outside of the boss - The Wings of Fire - and even the boss is a non-threat to non-melee characters. One could also argue forgeries against akimbo gunners, to which I say "Fortune Wind. Stop being dumb and attacking with the guns.&quotWink
*loud burp*
Water can't always douse fire. Besides a certain kind of fire that just gets worse when you apply water, there's also those fires that are just too strong or too widespread to be put down by just a simple dousing of water. In other words, thematically, water isn't an instant solution to dangerous, explosive fires. It might harden the lava slime for a bit or mess up the retaliation ability of a forgery temporarily, but a very strong (and sentient) fire will just evaporate the water before the water can really mess it up.

Mechanically, you have more than enough methods to prevent or delay a Firespitter from exploding. Not even theming can justify the fact that the only purpose of this suggestion is to make the Firespitter's one ace in the hole even more unnecessarily impossible to get off.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye