Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geist Schritt
"Spoops" Wrote:There needs to be a window of opportunity when fighting a boxer other than going on a guess I think, that's what I think at least, a 2 round cooldown fixes that much when facing someone just spamming the dashes.

There are plenty of windows of opportunity if you guess correctly or abuse certain weaknesses of GS. Skills that target locations will not trigger GS. Neither will projectiles. Triggering GS will also trigger things like Cinders in the path of movement.
To expand on what I meant:

There are a lot of situations where people aren't able to mix up their attack game. Most, if not all of their damage will fall under a single iteration of Geist Schritt. Whether or not that's the fault of the attacker for putting all of their eggs in one basket is debatable -- however, once you also include the fact that Geist Schritt moves the Boxer away from the enemy, and then back into melee range if triggered, it becomes a little murkier. Almost every skill that allows you to attack from range and/or close a gap falls under Geist Schritt Zwei's negation. Hanging, Heaven Kick, Couloir, Shukichi + Geldoren/Light Tomahawk, Orkam Drehen, Forced Move, all find themselves blocked by this. Some ranged skills that aren't basic attacks with a bow or gun will get around Geist Schritt, but won't remove the status since it isn't a basic attack. Without these to spam, you're in bad shape.

To be more concise, it's very difficult to play against someone who uses this skill every turn when you're not one of the lucky few who have a build that splits autohits and basic attacks. Even -if- you decide to walk up and basic attack the boxer who dashed away, you just washed on momentum spent with the guy who set the counter up, and unless you use fleur, that's your entire turn. So in the event you can't damage race Felhook each turn with a normal basic attack, you're shit out of luck. Trying to power through the severe disadvantage to your action economy (4m to 7m, with very few exceptions if you just try to burn through it) is nearly impossible. The most relatable way I can describe this is if Snatch Spell refunded momentum on a steal.

A 2 round cooldown will keep the skill as powerful as it is now against people who can't fight against it. However, because it can't be used every turn, this opens up a way for people to fight back if they do fall into that category. Put up your defensive buffs, heal, back off, do something that isn't wasting your turn and fueling the Dark Storm machine standing 3 tiles away from you. This in turn opens up even more strategy: they keep healing when you Geist Schritt, but this time it was Drei. I hope that answers the question.
"Soapy" Wrote:Korkenzieher moves you in a line and Orkam Drehen is super Forced Move.

Very true, but they're also expensive (30-22 FP) and take Geist's problem with diagonals and ramp it up to 11. The direct counterplay from simply knowing where to move and stand is absurd, and the boxer can be bled dry faster than you can pronounce the names of their skills. Compare to Geist's 10 FP cost and ability to move 3 in one direction and 5 in another if the follow up is triggered, these two really can't be considered a remotely viable substitute.
*loud burp*
Boxer's crippling issue with diagonals is a bug.
That doesn't make it so Korkenzieher can suddenly do diagonals (At 8 Schwartz Sturm, it's locked to a 9 range line - good luck) and Orkam Drehen can only pull up to 6 squares. It would take both of these to close in against an archer or gunner, costing 44-60 FP total depending on their ranks, and very likely not even getting them into range to do damage before the archer can scamper off again.

Unless Boxers become allowed to use movement without losing SS, this suggestion basically just hands an instant win to ranged attackers. That's why I'm arguing against it.
*loud burp*
"Ranylyn" Wrote:That doesn't make it so Korkenzieher can suddenly do diagonals (At 8 Schwartz Sturm, it's locked to a 9 range line - good luck) and Orkam Drehen can only pull up to 6 squares. It would take both of these to close in against an archer or gunner, costing 44-60 FP total depending on their ranks, and very likely not even getting them into range to do damage before the archer can scamper off again.

Unless Boxers become allowed to use movement without losing SS, this suggestion basically just hands an instant win to ranged attackers. That's why I'm arguing against it.

You wouldn't Geist Schritt AWAY from ranged attackers. You'd Geist Schritt toward them, with Eins. You have such an egregious range with Orkam Drehen that it isn't going to be an issue to close the gap. If they're a magic gunner, the same situation I've been mentioning applies: you have no options except to trigger Geist Schritt.
I'm arguing against a shared cooldown for all 3 GS skills. I'm not arguing in favor of keeping each individual one spammable. And I'm talking about the ranged attacker playing keep away if GS became locked out for 2-3 turns at a time. When did I say anything about GSing AWAY from a ranged attacker?
*loud burp*
I still think this skill is innately unfair to play against given it's low FP cost and general spamability, I think it'd be wise to give it a cooldown at the least, not much else has even been touched on boxer so far either.
Or Evasion check, Evasion check is always the answer.

If 'Evasion' = true :
- Nullify instance, as the boxer 'avoids'. (No changes.)
else :
- Damage reduced by 75%, as the boxer 'blocks'.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
That doesn't play nice with anything that has a non-damage component. Pocket Sand, Menov's Fang, etc. Cooldown is a nicer solution.