Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non-Magical Heals
I was thinking. And we all know that's never a good thing. Please evacuate in an orderly fashion and follow the signs to your local bomb shelter.

Since the GR, some healing skills - specifically, ones that scale only on a stat and nothing else - are incredibly underwhelming. Not only are they weaker than ever due to scaled stats, but damage is also higher than pre-GR as well. They are sometimes not worth the SP at all since they're basically only useful for topping onesself off at the start of a PVE fight before the enemies get close - and you're infinitely better off just getting that back attack anyways. And people PVP near Remedia for a reason.

Don't get me wrong; I completely 100% agree with making heals weaker than the Meta to prevent people from ending up in stalemate tankfests, but heals that don't scale with Spell Power heal so little that a level 1 enemy can outdamage them in just a few hits unless you have good armor/dodge.

I'll outline the non-spell heals below, and my issues (or lack thereof) with them; I'm listing every single heal for completion's sake, so no one goes "What about ____?" I've also included the healing staves since they're class-locked and cost FP, so they're basically skills anyways.

Ones I think are somewhat okay as is:

Aid: This one is pretty okay because of the bonus Ki. The heal itself really sucks but it moves the user and gives free Ki. I have no real issues with it, despite how bad it is as an actual heal, now. While I would not complain with a buff to it, I know some would riot because of how it used to be. Listing it purely for completion.

Field Medic: I also feel this one is okay due to it's revival properties and how the numbers actually get high with tactics rank. While it's infinitely more of a PVE skill since tactics rank tanks fast in PVP, it's fine for some skills to be better for one or the other (See: Overload.) Also listed purely for completion.

Repair: With the exception of medibot, you can redeploy a bot easily, so while repair may not be especially amazing, it's enough to stave off a few turns of wear and tear if the bot is not getting attacked, and if it is, just replace it. When it comes to patching up a mech, though, Mercana is still preferable, if available. And no mechanation should ever use it on themselves since that's absolute trash, just deploy medibot.

Ones I feel need a little bit of a look:

Meditate: The scaling for 6m seems fair at a glance. Until you realize that the "Fear of Death" change in GR means that unless you carry fear immunity, you'll always suffer from nerfed heals when you actually NEED the heals, unless you Cleanse Body, Shukuchi, run away, and THEN Meditate on the next turn (good luck doing this in PVP; most people carry some method of rapid movement or whatnot.) Urazawa's effect has also been decently polarizing, since 200% skill + 25% DR was a lot to deal with pre-GR when getting over 70 skill was plausible and damage overall was lower. Overall, meditate is kinda just okay right now. Worth taking for topping your HP/FP off at the start of a fight, but not so much during. Honestly, the fact that you recover FP instead of spending FP is what keeps this skill usable, presently.

Staff of Miracle/Mending: Staff of Miracle has always been kind of a joke and I don't need to say any more, but the Staff of Mending is another matter entirely. All Healing spells now scale with Faith + your power with your Staff/Tome/Spelledge. Staff of Mending? Wil/2 + Fai. Combined with how only curate classes can use it, it's literally rendered moot by it's own class. Either more classes should be allowed to take staves (Perhaps via Talents/Traits) or Mending needs to have a purpose to exist besides the Priest bonus for equipping it.

Ones I think need a rather substantial reworking:

Tenacity: 3 SP for 3 HP regen per turn? With damage what it is now? This passive is a relic. Either replace it or buff it. Unless you go out of your way to stack all the possible regen in the world (High San/Vit Glykin with Tenacity, Blood Jewel, Blood Flute, and Mercalan Mist or Phoenix Eternal Flame, and spamming Guard when low) none of these pathetically low numbers amount to anything anymore. At low levels, it takes 10-20 turns for the regen to recoup a single blow, and it only gets worse. (Compared to before, how a high Def BK or DH in good armor could reduce most PVE damage to single digits. Was still bad in PVP, mind you.)

Rebound: Amazing in crazies and absolute shit in 1v1s. See Aid, but without moving and Ki. It also consumes ALL marks and makes them unmarkable for several rounds. Due to stat scaling, it's very unlikely to expect more than 50 out of a single consumed Mark. People take 1 rank in rebound for the perk to Rising game and that's it. I think it'd be a much needed buff to the skill if the user SELECTS a single enemy to consume the mark from, for a 60%*Rank Scaled Res heal, or 300% at max rank, (Since it makes targets unmarkable for 2 turns, this is effectively a 3 turn cooldown in 1v1s, and also locks you out of Ether Invitation, Last Chance, etc) In PVE, this would also mean that if you've marked 9 enemies at once in a crazy with bloodsoaked weapons, you can't just heal 450 HP back for 3M, either, while also allowing you to use your other skills on other targets.
*loud burp*
Staff of Mending is useful whenever you are silenced and don't have the momentum to unsilence yourself. It's not *SUPER STRONG*. But it's sorta useful.

Tenacity is trash, could be doubled or just be 0.5% of your maximum hp every rank.. Or even just 0.33% (capping out at 1% at rank 3).

Rebound is hillarious in 1v20s.

Meditate got kinda trashy because of the fear bit but. i mean. It's still okay, considering it gives absolutely huge heals at times.

Field medic is lolzy and, despite being buffed in GR. Still pretty trash because a tactician in PVP will never, ever, keep their combat rank above a C or B.

Repair is repair is repair.

Aid here is weird. It's useful in that it just shifts you 1 square away from where you just were and gives you ki. The heal, itself, though... is garbage. Absolutely garbage. I'd like to see it interact *MORE* with Ki and actually be a neat skill to utilize (which is giving me ideas, so I'll make a balance fu about it).

All in all, though. This seems par the course with healing in Dev's lore. Magical healing can, and always will, be outright BETTER than non-magical healing. Magical healing is countered by two status effects (one being super common), compared to non-magical healing (don't get me started on medi-bot. It's still OP iirc). Magical healing, also, has lots of RP with it that affects it and makes it a nuisance to deal with IC.
Point taken. I actually completely forgot Staves can be used when silenced. And if nothing else it gives a more Warrior-Style Curate (Purity Edge, Antithesis, Buffs, etc, Curates CAN be pretty offensive) a heal that's better than just Faith without needing a spelledge weapon.

I agree that Aid is actually in kind of a weird place, but I'll continue this in your thread.
*loud burp*
Meditate was crippled compared to most heals pre-recent Cooldown nerf. It's still not in a good spot compared to the rest of them (it was killed during the Monk redux because of salt and has yet to recover - *is shot for unintentional puns* - and I doubt it will anytime soon).

Aid either losing it's WIL-basing for another would be nice, it would kind of be like a Meditate without the *2 (although I imagine people would say I'm prone to hate WIL-based skills in a class that isn't WIL-based), or to have it being directly tied to Ki (or Meditate somehow, yet to decide) instead.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy