Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Mass of Curates
Currently, Mass allows, for 1 M and a negligible FP cost, any curate to cast a 1 range spell (or any curate support spell) for the same FP cost as normal, on a very wide area.

I'm not going to say this is necessarily a bad thing, because it allows Curates to do what they do well, support. However, it becomes an issue whenever certain people use this with hordes of allies/npcs/bots. A person, for 10fp and 1m (mass) get to cast GRAFT on a 5 diamond for the same FP cost as someone attempting to cast the same graft on those people.

It saves a ton of momentum and, honestly, should reflect such. I'd like to see mass changed to a toggle skill, much akin to the new eternal flame passive thing. However, to use it you spend 2x more FP on such a large area. Example;

Quickness normally costs 3m, 12fp at max rank.
To cast on 1 person, it'd cost just that.
To cast on 2 people, it would cost 3m and 24fp
TO cast on 3 people, it'd cost 3m and 36 fp.

So on, and so forth. This change will affect a number of different things, starting off with making FP management as a support class more stringent. No longer will you just get to throw out 8 round buffs to your entire team at the start of the fight with pacifist healer then forget about it. Buffing your entire team with, rather significant buffs (See; Quickness, brightness, etc) is huge. It shouldn't cost a piddly 20fp ( of likely 500+ fp ) to heal your team or buff them. That's silly.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but hey, maybe someone will think it's actually fair.

And before you ask, yes. I play a support character. Yes, I realize how bullshit we are.
I think Mass is rather fine, the only issue is the range on Rescue combined with mass, which is a problem with rescue.

I haven't had any problems with priests since their heal cooldowns tbh.
It certainly makes sense to spend more fp to heal more people for the same amount, on a normally-single-target spell. With the huge fp pools you can get with high WIL and the right setup, I doubt it'd be much of an obstacle for dedicated healers and they're still getting the massive bonus of being able to cast on multiple targets with just 1M more.

I can't comment on the balance much since I stay away from those character types, but I definitely agree that it just seems sensible.
Spoops, it's not really a matter of "this is fine with cooldowns!"

it's a matter of say.. My damage attack does 150 damage to 4 people (REAL generous on the damage) for 40 fp. Those 4 people can then be healed by a curate for all of that damage for half of the FP it required to deal said 150 damage. That healing doesn't have to go through defenses, etc. It just does.
I can deal damage to all damage to people in the general vicinity of mass graft with a crystal rose for 6FP, I don't see your point here.
Damage has to go through numerous things.

Resistances, DR (overall), DR (stat), armour. Etc.

Heals just work and exist. Nothing stops them aside from max HP and interference. The hard counter, intereference, is now something curates can just say "No." to.
So this thread is proposing Mass being made into a Toggle Skill and having the Momentum removed from it proc'ing in favor of making their Skill/Spells that affect multiple party members/targets take more FP? I'm tempted to say yes, although I would give a slight curve-off to the FP costs. If the curve-off seems too good to have as it's own thing we can always make a new/existing Passive or Innate tie into the idea as a co-dependent value.

Example (once again, with Quickness Max Rank):

To cast on 1 person, 3M and 12 Base FP (>not< in effect of the co-dependent Skill/multiple party bonus).
To cast on 2 people, it would cost 3M and 24 Base FP (maybe -2 per person other than the caster or per -1 with each rank of co-dependent Skill).
TO cast on 3 people, it'd cost 3M and 36 Base FP (maybe -2 per person other than the caster or per -1 with each rank of co-dependent Skill).

Youkai and hire/captured monsters can either not count towards the 'discount' offered from party members -or- be at a discounted rate (like 5 Youkai/captured monsters/mercs give -1 instead of how PCs give -2 per person).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
I agree with the part Mass should multiply the FP consumed by the number of people healed/buffed.

Still, there's the easy solution to this, where you could maybe make it like Explosion, where you put + and - to increase the size of the mass and the FP consumed, and each '+' is a (2x), to a max of (Rank). Going like (2x) (4x) (6x) (8x) (10x) FP consumed for a (+1) (+2) (+3) (+4) (+5) diamond range.

I mean, Curates have insane FP regen anyway, not like this will become a hassle to anyone but omniclassers.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Mass has always been extremely FP/Momentum efficient, to the point where it borders on obscene. I would also like to see a drawback to it, given that it provides range, multi-targeting, net FP gain, and several turns worth of momentum saved. A steep FP hike on whatever comes after it seems like a reasonable idea, but I'm sure there's also routes that could be taken involving cooldowns or gimped effects for spells turned AoE.
Should your attack also cost exponentially more FP based on how many people it hits? This really isn't a very significant issue, IMO.