Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogue/Archer Traps
I'm sure not a lot of people have taken the time to talk about Traps because of how inconvenient they are. So! I would like to know what you all think of them.

Scaling: 50% Elemental ATK (+10% per Rank) + 100% GUI
I feel like the damage output for traps is just too low, even considering how hard it is to get someone to trigger them without Hand Trigger (Hanging, Side/Sillcut, Boxer in general Cry and Teleportation Movements). I was thinking of bumping up their scaling to match most other skills to have 80% Elemental ATK (+10% per Rank) OR having some type of Bonus Damage implemented.

Perhaps addition effects (Fire Trap having Cinders) or some type of unresistable damage may be too much. There are 7 Skills pertaining to Traps (5 in rogue, 2 in archer) and they are just taking up space it feels and are definitely not worth the -25% Element Resistance from badges.
Agreed. The problem with Traps is mostly that they use X% Scaled GUI + X% Elemental ATK, as opposed to most Offensive skills like say Crystal Rose which use X% Scaled Weapon ATK + X% Elemental ATK.

GUI is just whatever your GUI is but SWA has more than just the Weapon's Stats, those stats get multiplied by 1.5x and it also factors in the Weapon's Power and other such modifications.

Now we can't give them SWA but we can bump up the Scaled GUI (150% GUI?) and Elemental ATK (120% ATK?), I think that should bridge the difference.

Alternatively, perhaps they could be unresistable to compensate the lower damage, I mean unlike some skills, they can simply be avoided with some methods.

Also, I agree that Fire Trap needs an additional effect since it doesn't like the others, whether that's say 50% Fire ATK Cinders or LV 15 Burn on affected enemies for 3 Rounds, it needs something.

And finally, perhaps Engineer's Explosive Art could apply to Trap skills? (Though probably at halved effectiveness, a flat +50 Damage for Traps might be a step in the wrong direction.)
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I think burn is the more solid option due to wind badge increasing the range on these traps by pretty hefty levels, I agree with everything else in Sly's post.
Definitely. The big problem is that it's not an exaggeration to say 70% of all damage these days comes from Scaled Weapon Attack, and that things that don't scale with weapon attack are currently, quite frankly, underpowered as all heck right now. While some of the traps (most notably Gust and Entangle) do have tactical applications in PVE, in PVP you can basically expect everyone to either have teleports available to them, or at the very least enough elemental resist to just laugh at you. I don't know if a resisted trap hurts your momentum, but based on other interactions, it probably does, and that right there just makes them even less viable.
*loud burp*
Sly is so damn right here, I agree with that. What makes something 'strong' is Scaled Weapon Attack, because it is always an addition of 100~140 damage that can be multiplied around by other sources and added to Elemental Attack. When something is so simple and blunt like traps, which have plenty of counterplay, mercy can be removed from the math.

PS: Burn, we already have too many cinders around. And Ice Trap is a terraform already.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I totally agree Slydria! Though I have another question since we're talking about Trap effects.
What do you all think about Hand Trigger effects? An example I thought up of:

Gust Trap: Instead of being pushed away 1 space when triggered by movement. While using Hand Trigger, it'll knock the opponent airborne instead but probably at a damage reduction or Hand Trigger goes on cooldown or something. This way the opponent will have to think on if they want to use a skill that bypasses the trap or to normally take the hit by movement.

Probably a bad idea, but then again it's just a thought.
one thought I've had for awhile was moving traps down to 2m from 3m...
I'm glad this is finally being noticed. I made a thread about traps as well detailing how terrible they are in their current state.

http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.p...amp;t=3509

Make stealth traps not show where the traps are placed please. It completely nullifies the stealth aspect of traps.
[Image: tenor.gif]
Stealth Traps being changed to just placing down 2 of each trap type you have available on the map at random would make traps infinitely better.

What would also make them better is if they didn't have shit-scaling or just flat out ignored def/res (because you aren't expecting them. What a surprise)...

And if traps actually fucking lasted for longer than 3 seconds. Seriously, are they made out of paper? Make them Rank*2 duration, or Rank*3 ffs.
^ Agreed. A big part of what made traps so underwhelming even Pre-GR is how short the duration is. "I'll just build a defensive installation over here out of bots and traps and - MY TRAPS ALREADY EXPIRED SERIOUSLY WHAT!?"
*loud burp*