Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About explaining things to new players.
No, this isn't another thread about "Guys, please don't be dicks when it comes to people building suboptimally" or whatever. I promise, this is something else, and I come to you not on a high horse, but nibbling on humble pie.

Let's get some ketchup for my harshbrowns, here: I'm the kind of guy who gets bitter and irate and basically becomes a jerk (despite my best efforts to avoid this, some things outside of SL2 get to me and then I come to SL2/ the forums with pent up frustration and am not as level headed as I'd like. Honestly, I'm ashamed of that. Thing is, RP is my escapism, it calms me down.) and as such, I generally tend to shy away from explaining the rules to new players who break them, lest I end up driving them away from the game.

Discussing classes and skills is one thing, but when it comes to "Um, this is an RP game, please stop using the IC chat for saying OOC things" I'm just not comfortable being the one to speak up, because I've seen people like Naruko. I basically try to hint by replying to them in LOOC or whatnot, but when they don't grasp it....

This exact scenario is something I've been seeing a few times, lately, and I was basically hoping to get some opinions on how to best address the situation. I don't want to be rude - and I KNOW I can be a very rude person - so I thought I'd weigh in with some of you on the best ways to go about this. I mean, demanding "Follow the rules or suffer the consequences" is a last resort to be used by GMs, not the first line of defense. There has to be a more convenient way of convincing people, right?

Here's an example of what I mean. This is paraphrased from an actual conversation less than 24 hours ago. I remember the name of character C, if GMs need to know. Character A is my recently unretired phenex, Character B is someone who seems to be trying their hand at RP at the very least, and Character C is... well, character C.

*I see the two walking by. They see me. They get into a fight. I spectate.*
Character B: invite them, they is phenix and can revive us.
Character C: Okay.
*I realize they're likely new so join up to answer questions and offer guidance. After a short while...*
Character B: so wat shall i call you then i mean you have a name right
Character A: I usually go by "Summer" if you wanted to stop calling me "The Phenex."
Character C: Just in case you didn't see it at the top of the screen, I'm _______. Not really into the whole roleplay thing though.
Local OOC Character A: If you're not saying things in-character, this is the ideal solution. Say and Emote are for roleplay.
Character C: Whatever.

Let's be honest, I just don't know what to do in this scenario that isn't either dickish or going to a GM. Just call me Biggus Dickus Errectus, because all I can do is slap people in the face and make a big mess. Except I choose not to because it's not worth the jail time. Dick jokes aside, is there anything more I can do in this kind of situation?
*loud burp*
There was really nothing else you could have done to add or subtract with that situation. As much as I would have loved to yell out "IMMERSIONS RUINED" if they just aren't interested in roleplaying that's really up to them. If they're purposely interrupting other people and their roleplay with ooc terminology then it becomes a real problem.

It's a shame that we can't get more people willing to delve into the world of RP though. Forcing them with the power of GM or just being a jerk in general won't do anything but make the problem worse.
[Image: tenor.gif]
Interrupting actual RP is the primary reason I was concerned, honestly. I have nothing against people who want to play OOCly if they respect and don't interfere with RP, but things just get confusing when OOC players are using the same chat as IC players with no indication. While this may sound stupid since the game IS listed as "RP Mandatory," there's probably examples of friends of RPers checking it out to humor them, and so on.
*loud burp*
R.I.P immersion LMAO.

Oh god damn it, should Dev add a 'roleplay tutorial' at Pink now too? God help us all to combat those kinds of people who come straight from SS13 or DU PvP.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I probably should add something about RP to the tutorial at some point.
That only works if people read it. And let's face it, people don't.

They claim not knowing the rules as an excuse, when they willingly chose to remain ignorant.

The only way to make it effective would be to need to complete a quiz before leaving the tutorial, and that would just piss off everyone who already knows.
*loud burp*
Or just a looooong set of RP guidelines, and a randomized final question like "What do you do when someone types in LOOC?", based on the guidelines. If the answer is wrong, a GM is warned privately so they can go help, or something.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]