Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hit the gym (Mage battle weight issues)
I'd actually like to apologize for how rudely my post came across. I'll spare you the details but I came here while frustrated from RL things again, and came across more harshly than intended. I'm getting back on my meds soon, it should help.

(And no. I'm not blaming the meds. I take full accountability for what I said. I'm just saying "this should stop being a thing, soon.&quotWink
*loud burp*
[Image: latest?cb=20140315164222]
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I love you, too.
*loud burp*
"Spoops" Wrote:It's mostly just to accomodate for the people who have already dumped enough STR for their battle weight but are about to get screwed by the bug report I just put up :|

This isn't a thread about how people aren't putting points into STR because they do, it's just they put in enough STR for battle weight before knowing that accessories/gloves/shoes were bugged, which is why a base battle weight increase would please more people than just telling them to fruit for an additional 5 points of STR. (and why base battle weight increase was my first suggestion too)
Alright, let me redo my input:

I feel like upping the base BW limit in response to other equipments being able to add onto BW (like they should) negates the entire point of adding weight to Shoes/Gloves/Accessories/etc to begin with.

P.S. Kunai, merely throwing a GIF into a Balance Fu topic does not make a response.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I agree with chaos,

I move we wait for dev to respond whether the weight on those items are relics from pre Gr when items took up different inventory weights or if its actually a bug that needs to be fixed.
I also agree with you, Chaos. Though BW could scale from another stat, like VIT at the half (or quarter) efficiency of STR? I think this is what Spo means with the 'BW increase' thing. Maybe APT or even WIL itself? (Since 'willpower' is linked to determination, which is linked to how you'll be enduring from the weight.)

And @ the PS: I just can't get used to the 'ranymoments meme' yet and I lack words sometimes, my bad.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
The issue with BW scaling with another stat is that...

- If it scales with Vit, at all, to represent the character's inherent hardiness, which would make thematic sense (and we already see this with out-of-battle encumberance) I'm afraid we'll only encourage Tanky, Str-less builds. For example... a single digit str Soldier sporting a Bamboo Bo since it needed skill to hit anyways, but also sporting a LOT of Vit/Def/Res since none of what it'd have allocated to str before is needed. Furthermore, base Vit is actually decently high on many races; it's plausible to get 60 scaled, and that translates to +15 BW if you're calculating it at 1/4 strength.

However, I do think you MIGHT be onto something with the Aptitude suggestion!

A better option might be, and hear me out on this, Apt/10 reduction to the weight of both the weapon and torso. (Edit: And maybe half of that to a minimum of 1 for accessories/Gloves/Boots?) For example, your average 42/43 scaled Aptitude would see -4 BW to both the weapon and Armor, to represent the character's general proficiency. So, a 12 weight tome would only weigh 8, a 7 weight armor would only weigh 3, and a 40 weight armor still weighs 36 because of course it's freaking bulky.

Also, regarding "Ranymoments," I'd like to clear the air (in a positive way, I promise) but I'm putting it in a spoiler tag to keep the main focus on the actual topic at hand.

I'm sorry about the "Ranymoments" thing. I really am working on it, honest. Problem is, I RP to unwind. So, when I'm already riled up about something, I check the forums to see if there's any updates... and then I see a thread that interests me... and then I perhaps come across as more rude than I intended simply since I was already worked up about something. You may notice entire weeks of absence when I manage to remind myself not to come to the forums in one of those moods, but sometimes I just forget. And I'm sincerely sorry about that. It's no one's fault but my own, and I always feel bad for being snippy, after. No one's happy with that.

Anyways, that's that. I'm sure this'll be the last time for a little bit, simply since a lot of what was really getting my pantylyns in a wad is going to be behind me very soon. Sorry again for any unwarranted snippiness.
*loud burp*
You should be getting Balance from Fluency if you're going to be using tomes, which is -7 weight. You can supplement your maximum BW with Packrat by up to +10. There are enchantments and qualities that reduce weight as well. So, basically, you can get -9 weight easily, while the heaviest tome, I believe, is probably Vorso Verso at 22. You are, obviously, heavily encouraged to be using low weight torso items, or to pump up your STR a little bit. It's an intentional design choice. Don't really think this is a balance issue for that reason.
While I am a mage with a 20 weight tome, my off hand/boots/accessories give a total of 10 weight.