Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critting Blackknights seems wrong...
For the most part, I agree with most of the posts in this thread.

However, I think a slight compromise may thematically both be in order, and benefit a lot of people.

Hear me out:

Negation isn't an inherent ability strictly from the armor or anything, but rather, the Black Knight's experience and prowess in deflecting blows. What would pierce the armor of a lesser combattant instead glances off at an angle. This is because the BK... basically "knows how to wear it really well." They know how to move, when to move, where to move, and otherwise just mitigate each blow as best they can.

Thing is, this relies on actually seeing your opponent so you can take fitting action.

An experienced BK would likely be smart enough to turn their head and keep an eye on their surroundings as best as they can, but it's harder to react to what you're not directly looking at in a given moment. So it may not be a bad idea to reduce negation's effectiveness against a flanking attack.

I'm thinking down to 30, (maybe 25 for simplicity) from 50, on attacks from behind only. Keep the full 50 on front/sides. It just might be enough to let an unsuspecting BK get taken by surprise if Watchful Eye wears off and they don't want to spend their actions to re-apply it.

Why I think this could be worth considering:

- The BK has Watchful Eye, so it's not just like everyone can flank with ease. Some classes can get around it, some can't.
- A lot of people are generally kind of frustrated with the prevalence of tanky characters.
- You need to spend an action flanking them, so it's not like it's just a free crit. It's a calculated gamble.

Just my two cents. I'm open to suggestions on if this needs to be tweaked or scrapped.

Edit 1: Why did I type Evasion instead of Negation?
*loud burp*
Honestly.

If Negation was made to be 50% Crit Hit Redux (after everything is factored) it'd be fairer for everyone involved.

The bow's 95 crit vs 90 crit evade would turn into 95 vs 40, or... 55.

Then that 55 is divided by 2. 27.5 It inherently gets worth more the more crit your opponent has, and the less natural crit evade you have.
Percents never work out well.

Black Knights are the tank class. It should be fairly difficult to crit them.
It's only difficult to crit them if you aren't some Duelist variant. If you are a duelist variant, you can just get +50 crit or more, alongside -15 crit evade, etc, and just go "Nah. I crit you anyways." unless they build FAI/LUC.
the sad part being you don't even need to be hexer to remove faith.

just throw a dark water vial.