Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pixel Movement Testing
"Joseph Jostar" Wrote:Re: Trailing party, is there anything stopping you from just making a 'queue' of movements made by the party leader, to be mirrored by the members in order like it used to be?

This is possible but it's still not a perfect solution, because if the party leader, for example, wiggles left and right, the queued movements will keep the party on top of each other as they move instead of spread out. I am still experimenting with a few different solutions, since I prefer the trailed movement as well.
That was basically how it worked before, wasn't it? Just the party would be spread over two squares instead of two pixels. Either way, good luck. Everybody loves the little party train.
I think having silly jiggling would be better than the swords. As far as I'm aware, no one really minds it, even during tile-based movement.
Day 2 of testing is up.

- Adjusted top speed and speed build-up rate in normal maps.
- You can now hold C to 'walk', which halves your maximum speed.
- Knockbacks now work correctly.
- Characters entering battle should no longer be offset.
- Moving against solid objects no longer plays footsteps/applies 'after step' effects.
- You can now pass through players as per normal.
- You should no longer be able to reach unintended areas by bumping into other players.
- Walking monsters should be moving at a similar pace to in tile-based movement. Engage range adjusted to take pixel distance into account instead of simply tile distance, so you won't get engaged from almost an entire tile's distance.
Can the walking "C" button be a toggle?
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
Alright, I think this is a lot better now, sorry if my last post came off as a bit aggressive, but anyway I think with all these additional changes I'm starting to like the system more, though I still think that the party system should be worked on but other than that I'm liking this so far now.

Also agreed with Saw, can walk be toggleable?
Quote:entering places on the map feels really jank, pressing incompatible directions makes you face the side and strafe upwards, click move has really weird facing issues
swords are fucking stupid and click move needs to work on the map
you can only move diagonal without it bugging if you were standing still or moving in the opposite direction
you can't walk and do diagonals on the world map
monsters move diagonal now which technically makes them faster than before
you can't click move as far as you could before
I guess this will be neat when everything gets ironed out, assuming lag doesn't ruin everything anyway.

And, agreed, walking should be a toggle.
It can be, or it can even be a setting for either one. I just picked a key at random to showcase the kind of things a pixel movement system is capable of.
Is the character collision box based on the exact pixels of the characters image? If so, some things might run smoother making it a box around the outermost edges, instead. Just curious. I've known some things to hang onto other objects with exact pixel collision in some other games. (getting stuck on the hook of a lamp because you equipped a sword next to it is dumb)

[Image: 8T4Tgau.png]
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
I'm pretty sure it's a defined box. Having it check pixel by pixel would increase the strain put on the game.

Could we get an idea of how big that box is, though? Is it the whole character, or a small box at their center?