Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP-Friendly Combat System
All debating on these suggestions will be in the thread itself. This post is updated only with newly introduced ideas.

This is a thread (open to all) to suggest things that would make the combat system more RP-friendly. As it is it can be metagamed to high hell and back, and in a role-playing game I view that as somewhat of a problem. I'll start off with some of the worst offenders.

Hit/Crit
I don't believe you should be able to see these things on an enemy when you target them. You shouldn't instantly know how well an opponent is able to evade your attack until you attempt it. I recommend changing this to a system that tells you how much you hit or missed by, but only after the attack is made. Damage is in kind of a gray area to me, because you might be able to tell how well armored your enemy is by looking.

Movement Range
Same as above. You shouldn't be able to see the movement range of other characters just because they open their movement grid. I've already seen movement range metagamed ICly when the person who opened their grid ended up not even moving. Rather than this, I recommend the system tell you how many spaces an opponent moves when they move, so you can have an accurate view of how far an opponent can move, but only up to the amount you've seen them move so far.

Level
Stop letting other people see this. It's caused nothing but problems so far.

Setsuna
Change the effect to not show skills, and instead show stats relative to yours (whether they're higher, lower, or identical.)

Turn Timer (Sarinpa1)
The ability to modify turn timer, for those that prefer lenghtier and more in-depth roleplays. Sure, common courtesy exists, but it's hard to willingly end turn for someone to do what they wanted to do in the RP, especialy because status-effects.

Armor Ratings (Rendar, Sarinpa1)
Perhaps as some sort of an "Armor rating" thing in description showing unarmored/light/heavy?

Encumbrance Display (Rendar)
Example (in the status window?):
"This person looks to be able to carry their weight in battle just fine!"

"This person seems to be weighed down a bit but doing just fine!"

"This person is weighed down so much by their gear they shouldn't even be able to move properly..."

Modifiers (Maikito)
Mechanation Traits: Mechs should have some sort of trait that allow them to see normally unseen statistics, maybe not all of them, but some of them at the very least.
General Traits: Traits to analyze an opponents range of movement after moving, their known skills, and other various things could also be introduced perhaps.
GM Powers - Should be able to circumvent all of these above mentioned features for the sake of stopping bug abusers. If bugs -do- arise.

Record Erasure (Ryu-Kazuki)
As a Trait, maybe?

Everyone else, have at it.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rockabye's post:
  • Ham
I think damage should probably be not numerical, but instead have a phrase that says how much you can do of their health.
1% to 5% would be "Scratch Them", 6% to 20% would be "Hit Them", 21% to 50% would be "Hurt Them", 51% to 80% would be "Pummel Them", and 81% to 100% would be "Destroy Them".

Other than that, I agree with everything 100%.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.p...1499#p1499
I've stated my place on this multiple times. Most of that stuff is there for bug testing, and until we have 0 bugs and will never have another bug again, I'm not going to change my decision.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
Why not have PVP where if both parties agree pre-fight, that... it provides this information. However if only 1 party agrees to it, it's invisible.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=2447#p2447 Wrote:Rendar » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 pm[/url]"]Why not have PVP where if both parties agree pre-fight, that... it provides this information. However if only 1 party agrees to it, it's invisible.
That sounds like an excellent idea.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
I'd also like to suggest that this 'meta-mode' have OOC as text on the battle indicator (the swords).
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=2446#p2446 Wrote:Ryu-Kazuki » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:17 pm[/url]"]I've stated my place on this multiple times. Most of that stuff is there for bug testing, and until we have 0 bugs and will never have another bug again, I'm not going to change my decision.

The game is already out of its testing phase. No game can be bug-free forever, but that doesn't mean systems that are dampening the experience should be left in play. If bug-testing is a big concern then a toggle-able Bug Testing Mode could possibly be worked out that turns all of this information back on, so long as all players in the current battle agree to a prompt, or coded how Rendar said. Whatever works and gets rid of the current RP-killing system.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
Just because a game's not in alpha doesn't mean bug tests shouldn't be conducted. Just saying.

I don't really see much RP-killing in the current system, even more so based on the fact nobody really roleplays during PvP after all.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=2451#p2451 Wrote:Ryu-Kazuki » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:00 pm[/url]"]I don't really see much RP-killing in the current system, even more so based on the fact nobody really roleplays during PvP after all.
Are you mentally deficient?