Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roleplaying vs Game Mechanics
"Slydria" Wrote:TL;DR. Cut-ins for dramatic effect aren't the issue. Memes are because they spoil roleplay when used poorly and considering all I've seen, I've no reason to believe people will use them otherwise. If you're genuine about wanting to use them for dramatic effect then you shouldn't have an issue using a different style of one.

Then Persona 5 cut-ins are the issue, but not the concept of having one cut-in for responsible usage. Did I get this right? So, if I do like Spoops said and just remove the kanji from it because I like the way it looks like a paper page tearing off, will it be acceptable?

Overall, the only times I ever had a 'real' use for those were in battles. And rarely if ever used them in any kind of normal RP scenario where they're not applicable. (Assuming my Trash RP moments aren't counting as 'normal'.)

I still have a feeling if I start using something different, people will want to copy me.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Yes, that is right.

No, I don't think removing the Kanji is enough, because it's still clearly the Persona 5 style, like I imagine without the characters, it would just be the same as like say the English version of the game, right? I think you should find another one or heck, maybe have a go at making your own?

They probably will want to copy, I'm not sure there's much I can do about that, but I would advise people who want to do something similar that they try to find a style that suits their character.

(I'm completely expecting someone will decide to instead use the Persona 3 or 4 cut-ins instead and honestly I'm undecided if that shouldn't happen because it may come off as a lazy, less than subtle jab at this whole thing or if I should leave it be and hope people will do things for the right reasons...)
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
"GSM" Wrote:Meme face icons are used to lighten the mood and whatnot, and sometimes they do have valid times to be used.
Except that 'lighten the mood', in this case, can often translate to 'ruin the atmosphere', if not something along these lines.

'Valid times' is using meme faces with your friends in private. No one cares if you stand off to the side of the Arena and strictly whisper some memeface omit or a few. Using them in public can and will cause issues for others.

"Snake" Wrote:Then Persona 5 cut-ins are the issue, but not the concept of having one cut-in for responsible usage. Did I get this right? So, if I do like Spoops said and just remove the kanji from it because I like the way it looks like a paper page tearing off, will it be acceptable?
Zooming in on someone's eye(s), modification to make the FI clearly stand out from a persona cut-in, etc. will work.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
[Image: OdXagu5.png]

Made a shitty GIMP-job attempt. Have fun.

[Image: nTWQOHp.png]
As one of the more outspoken people against rampant meming, allow me to weigh in.

If done right, a meme can be subtle and good for a laugh without being blatantly jarring and ruining the atmosphere completely. To use a Koonie example, actually, take the Miles "Tails" Prower joke from the funny quotes thread. People were commenting on the oddities of some names, and asked "What's next, Prower?" "Miles ahead of you." While this is an obvious reference, it's referring to something IC and as such is actually quantifiable as roleplay. It doesn't bring things that don't exist in SL2's lore into it, and it's a one-and-done joke that has it's time but is moved on from quickly.

To use an example of meming done horribly wrong, look no further than what happened when Fire Emblem Fates was new. I saw more than one person saying "Nohrian Scum" ICly. Now, ask yourself, in the context of SL2, what even is Nohr? Answer: Absolutely nothing besides dragging other fictional setting into SL2. Unlike the first example, this directly TANKS roleplay; people nearby only have two options: Ignore whoever said it (and good luck, because it's not like they ever use Looc for the memes; they want their faceicons for it - meaning people who aren't familiar with the meme may try to take them at face value and RP with them like "What's that?" which further tanks RP even further)) or leave and roleplay elsewhere. Both of which are the antithesis of roleplay. Yes, the solution to this is to OOCly relocate to somewhere people are not meming, and roleplay is not about OOC. As such, this kind of meming does quite literally grief roleplayers, and SHOULD be punished. If it was up to me, it'd be 2 warnings and then a monthlong ban. But I'm not a GM, lucky for the memers, heh.

"But Rany, SL2 is just a game where people roleplay. It's not an actual roleplay game!" I've heard this too many times to count. To which I say, "Read SL2's description: "Multiplayer RPG set in a unique roleplay-mandatory setting. All legends have their truths..." Dev himself has come forth and stated that YES, SL2 IS an RP game, despite people's best efforts to make it otherwise. So don't even bother trying to retaliate with that one.

Now, back onto the topic of the "facial cut-in meme." While I do think this is definitely closer to example 1 than example 2, I also see it as wholly unneeded. I realize this is just my opinion, but I feel a full-sized icon that gets as close to the eyes as possible has more of a dramatic impact than an icon that's 1/2-2/3 black and has smaller eyes since it's not zoomed in, just cropping out the mouth and hair. I really don't see a point BESIDES the memes. Which does unfortunately drag it closer to scenario 2, since if it's being done BECAUSE of memes, then let's be honest, it really becomes blatant and out of place.

Do I begrudge people for wanting to do this? No. Have I seen evidence that people can meme responsibly enough to think Sly was out of place for issuing a warning? Oh hell no; I'm amazed it took this many days/weeks for a warning to happen at all! But personally, as was said earlier in the thread, I don't see why the more responsible RPers should suffer because of a few people who abuse it. So long as it's only used in dramatic RP moments and isn't flaunted because lolmemes, I don't personally have much of an issue with it. However, people who DO try to ruin it for everyone by abusing it for lolmemes really should be temp banned at the very least, just to get the message across that enough is enough and, to quote a meme, "It's time to stop."

EDIT: Also, forgot to say, thank you for the alternative you provided, Blues. *thumbs up*
*loud burp*