Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roleplaying vs Game Mechanics
[Image: bb72db3dd5a7456a8dfcac3671893e71.png]

So apparently, in-game mechanics (such as a face icon) matter when you are roleplaying, huh? Why is that and why is a GM keeping us from using different Face Icons for whatever reason they did not state but 'its a meme! so no.', eh?

One thing is a person using a Persona 5 cut-in, and roleplaying it like.

Quote:[Image: 662326c8005b484e994345b94a7be2d2.png] Meme Lord smirks! An overused copyrighted music starts playing from their Marching Band as they attack the enemy's weakness, and an annoying cat starts randomly rating their performance based on their appearance!! Once the strike hits! Oh boy, 420 D A N K N E S S damage!

This is the most disgusting example I could come with. And THIS is a meme. So, going on...

If what I demonstrated over there is a real meme, it can be easy to differ people using the cut-in in one battle situation and roleplaying it out, and this cut-in is just for emphasis and nothing else. Like for example:

Quote:[Image: 1039cb5aface401b98ce4102d0f07eb8.png] Average Roleplayer simply dashes forward, drawing out their blade as they swipe it forward when the right chance is given! Each strike hoping to hit and land a fairly satisfying blow to draw blood from their foes!

It's all a matter of how you are using it, responsibility, and cases of disruptance can be just screenshot and tossed at GMs for justice. Just because one player's being toxic with those, it doesn't mean the whole rest of the server is using them like a bunch of cross-eyed retards. It's just a game, why to be so strict on it? See a trollface or a baby face icon? Sure, that's certainly going to ruin the flow of RP. But... that? Come on now.

PS: None of the examples actually happened, but what really happened was a random GM warning by Slydria telling us to stop using those cut-ins because they're apparently a 'meme'. Which was needless in my opinion.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I agree with koonie, Its really no more or less a meme than a sad expression or happy expression. Its simply a face state being used to help convey a post with more detail.
This is exactly what I meant when I complained in OOC with;

"What if it's used to fit the IC situation?"

It's sorta unfair. Just because it's P5 doesn't mean it can't be used as an epic cut in. I mean it fits in moments with a "HOLD IT!" or the like.
[Image: unknown_-_Copy_2.png]
~ ~
3 G
r e
d n
~ ~
We understand that there is a time to be serious, but there can also be a time for fun and jokes. We can all use these face icons responsibly when the time is appropriate.
[Image: tenor.gif]
Meme face icons are used to lighten the mood and whatnot, and sometimes they do have valid times to be used.

But anyone just using them because lelmemes almost 24/7 deserve the blunt end of the stick.

People that don't overuse them when they're not welcome shouldn't be punished for the others using meme face icons indiscriminately.

I am 100% for this.
[Image: unknown.png]
I agree with Snake and K on their statements, there isn't much for me to add myself as it's honestly a very general topic.

In regards to the P5 cut-ins particularly, while the cut-ins in general are in fact a meme, they are not solely used for the sake of being a meme, the effects and art -style of the cut-in are a way to symbolize the character being hyped up and energized, and it can actually lead to some badass moments when you have a team of friends who all use a face icon with a cut-in during an event or IC team fight. I can fully understand that it's not right to abuse a face icon like that because while it is a light meme, isn't it also an anime trope to over-hype some minor things for the sake of comedy, it's just good fun, there's no need to restrict it unless it's being abused.
[Image: g5VjMYf.png]
I disagree entirely, I'd count the persona cut ins as meme face icons because of the context that's put behind them, because you (Snake) and others have put together these cut ins of many characters and most have swapped out their social media avatars to those as a result, and now they're being used in game.

While some of you believe that these icons are fine and dandy to lighten the mood in certain places, the mood doesn't exactly need to be lightened in public areas such as Cellsvich or the Badlands Arena, its just gonna turn cheeks and for people who try to take the RP a bit seriously to just disassociate and eventually leave.

You can meme somewhere else with people who like it and no one else would care, please don't muddy up anyone else's experience, we're all RPers just for fun after all, and the quality of public RP does count towards the fun.

As for the cut-ins themselves, I can agree with Haunted Pajamas. in that they can lead up to some epic moments, I'd suggest removing the Japanese text though, try not to make it a direct reference/rip off.
"Spoops" Wrote:As for the cut-ins themselves, I can agree with Haunted Pajamas. in that they can lead up to some epic moments, I'd suggest removing the Japanese text though, try not to make it a direct reference/rip off.

That was mostly what I was thinking for a solution. But still, that was a warning to the whole server, and I'm sadly expecting the next person to misuse a FI or use any FIs people dislike to get banned for the rest of this year. Tossing a warning and giving no solutions so people don't get effed over was a bit mean.

(Yes, I am being a bit exaggerated there, but it's a possibility, regardless.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
"Snake" Wrote:So apparently, in-game mechanics (such as a face icon) matter when you are roleplaying, huh? Why is that and why is a GM keeping us from using different Face Icons for whatever reason they did not state but 'its a meme! so no.', eh?
Face icons aren't game mechanics. They're a roleplaying feature.
"Snake" Wrote:Just because one player's being toxic with those, it doesn't mean the whole rest of the server is using them like a bunch of cross-eyed retards. It's just a game, why to be so strict on it?
Allowing one meme because some people like using it is a slippery slope when they have no place in roleplay to begin with.

Nobody's saying you can't edit images for dramatic effect. Stop acting like you need the Persona 5 cut-ins to survive.
Quote:So apparently, in-game mechanics (such as a face icon) matter when you are roleplaying, huh? Why is that and why is a GM keeping us from using different Face Icons for whatever reason they did not state but 'its a meme! so no.', eh?

Of course your face icons matter when you're roleplaying. They're meant to represent your character, they're right there whenever you roleplay. Trying to group them with "in-game mechanics" is just wrong.

Why are memes banned? Because they do ruin the mood for other players. Why am I so strict about it? Because I can't just trust people to use it responsibly.

Seriously, Kunai, you of all people should understand my reluctance to just let this slide given how often I've had to deal with you in particular about this kind of thing.

Quote:One thing is a person using a Persona 5 cut-in, and roleplaying it like.

[Image: 1039cb5aface401b98ce4102d0f07eb8.png] Average Roleplayer simply dashes forward, drawing out their blade as they swipe it forward when the right chance is given! Each strike hoping to hit and land a fairly satisfying blow to draw blood from their foes!

Here's the thing, people haven't been using cut-ins. So I wonder why are people using cut-ins all of a sudden and this particular one? ...It's obvious that it's because of how Persona 5's popularity and that the whole "You'll never see it coming" thing has become a meme.

So let me ask you. Why not just simply use a different style of cut-in instead of the flavour of the month meme? I'm not stopping cut-ins in general, just this one in particular because I feel that it'll only disrupt roleplay for others, even if you and the others who have responded think otherwise.

Quote:PS: None of the examples actually happened, but what really happened was a random GM warning by Slydria telling us to stop using those cut-ins because they're apparently a 'meme'. Which was needless in my opinion.

PS: This isn't the first time I've told people off for using it and it certainly wasn't "random". I was shown a picture of it happening and decided to act on it, especially since I've already made it apparent to people that it wasn't to be used in-game.

Quote:
Quote:Spoops wrote:
As for the cut-ins themselves, I can agree with Haunted Pajamas. in that they can lead up to some epic moments, I'd suggest removing the Japanese text though, try not to make it a direct reference/rip off.

That was mostly what I was thinking for a solution. But still, that was a warning to the whole server, and I'm sadly expecting the next person to misuse a FI or use any FIs people dislike to get banned for the rest of this year. Tossing a warning and giving no solutions so people don't get effed over was a bit mean.

(Yes, I am being a bit exaggerated there, but it's a possibility, regardless.)

Kunai, the fact that even you haven't been ultimately banned just because of this kind of thing should be pretty telling that I'm not going to drop a ban like that solely for something like this.

... As for the no solutions thing, that's just silly. The solution is quite simple and plain, don't use the meme icons. This really doesn't need an explanation.

TL;DR. Cut-ins for dramatic effect aren't the issue. Memes are because they spoil roleplay when used poorly and considering all I've seen, I've no reason to believe people will use them otherwise. If you're genuine about wanting to use them for dramatic effect then you shouldn't have an issue using a different style of one.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]