Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Limit (Emote)
BYOND handles which window it provides based on the data type. That's a Form provided by BYOND with no means for Dev to modify its size, only provide it things such as the window tltle and description to place in it. If I remember correctly, getting that large window requires something a bit larger than a String (line of characters). You can already find this larger window and data type being used when you edit profile pages.

I've not dabbled in BYOND for years, so I did a tiny bit of research to see if I could break this down for you. This is what I'm assuming, based on Dream Maker's reference.

Your emotes in SL2 are received as the following:

text // a quoted text string

This would be the one continuous line you're confined to with your emotes, as Snake's screenshot shows. In order to provide the larger window like it does with profile pages, you have to tell Dream Maker to receive the following:

message // multi-line text

There are a multitude of reasons why the previous is a more suitable choice than the latter, as much as it doesn't seem the case to the naive viewer. Manageability in particular, both processing over them and restricting certain things. Particularly, the keyword to 'message' is 'multi-line.' It allows line breaks and, without methods taken to prevent it, HTML injection, from what I've seen in the past. Unless you want people doing one emote consisting solely of thirty line breaks with followed by a single 'No.' for kek lul memez, it's likely a necessary evil.

So that's why that's like that. Dev can change it, but if he has his reasons for not doing so, it's just part of BYOND we'll have to suffer.
[Image: 43061579a09db588952b04fe4c658928.png]
Well, adding on my comment.

If it is a big hassle, then I'd be down to shake my head and ask to move on from this topic. Most of the people who RP in SL2 are not novel writers who love to type 3 paragraphs per emote and are on a 'casual' level.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
If you want it to just be the message window, that's easy enough, but it won't follow certain formatting you put it into it like multiple lines.
After re-reading what Shujin typed up there, it seems to be so. And he's right, when you are typing a lengthy emote you can't read what you typed when you go past the first line and the text bar/box starts swallowing and leaving it behind as if you're using a typewritter. So, currently and like this, you can't correct typos, or re-write things easier.
The formatting (if you mean, 'if line-breaking with enter, your text will automatically become two paragraphs') won't be necessary, I guess.

That might be it, Dev.
"Neus" Wrote:If you want it to just be the message window, that's easy enough, but it won't follow certain formatting you put into it like multiple lines.
If this can allow people to bold/italics/underline in their emotes, I think we can give it a shot. It does help to let people emphasize parts of their messages.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
No, it wouldn't allow anything like that. The input window would just be larger if you hit enter without typing anything.
Yop thats what I meant. That certainly would be a start! Having the text in view without the need to scroll is already a fine adjustment.

Would it be possible to increase the character Limit a tad aswell? to maybe 1.5xcurrent atleast?
I'd rather see the limit staying like this just to see your lengthy emotes get cut off, Shu-- *shot*