Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gone with the Wind
Tarnada is a cool weapon and all, but there has been a glaring issue with this weapon - and it's the fact you can easily one-shot somebody by being able to score a critical hit. Mostly because it basically lets you invoke a Vydel that breaks past Silence's barrier, and even benefits from Charge Mind and what not.

This is more or less what I've noticed from seeing other people run Tarnada builds, and using it myself. I do not think dropping the proc chance is plausible, since it's still RNG based.

My suggestion is to make it so Tarnada's Vydel cannot activate if you are Silenced. I believe this would allow more counter play against the weapon, instead of being a "score three or two critical hits and you win" routine.

Thoughts?
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Why it doesn't work like this is my bigger question.

Silence IS supposed to be the major counter to magic, why would a sword ignore Silence at a 24% chance?

Please make it so Silence stops this madness. Evoker/Mage does influence on Tarnada's Vydel damage. (So that means, things like Charge Mind [for the 2.5x damage multiplier], Tavyl [for the Knockdown] and Greaper [for +30% damage] will make it technically a free, un-silenceable Vydel that uses 3M and can be spammed if you are lucky.)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Please, we need to stop the tornado based mass murderers out there. For the children.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
I still think it needs to count as a valid casting weapon for its own damn attack. But yeah.

inb4 potential skill
The problem with Tarnada is it throws out a huge fuckhuge AoE invocation that works exponentially well when paired with (duelist)+Evoker, because it scales with greaper and Vydel's skill rank, on a critical hit check, on top of that it also knocks down when paired with Talvyd now which basically makes it the equivilant of a critical heavy tackle, with wayyyyy more damage.

My suggestion is actually to make it throw out a wind slasher instead, that way it still works with burst heavy builds but its not a huge AoE invocation on a critical hit which are already the source of the most damage AND efficiency in the entire game.

And/or make it like the winged spear, where it just grants Vydel as a skill, but not as an effect.
I also agree with it being changed to Wind Slasher instead. It's more fair. And maybe make it's future Potential be an UL LV increase to Lingering Damage?
"Soapy" Wrote:I still think it needs to count as a valid casting weapon for its own damn attack. But yeah.

inb4 potential skill

It really doesn't need its Vydel to be able to gib people without sacrificing the offhand slot.

I agree that it should be locked out by silence, but I feel like it could stand to be kicked down a notch further somehow. Either by lowering the proc chance or reducing the damage the free Vydel deals. It's practically as momentum efficient if not more so than old Skullcaver if it procs (and you're using an optimal setup for Vydel).

I'd be fine with it just getting Vydel as a skill instead, as suggested above. Or changed to Wind Slasher.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. However, in a sense, I do understand why silence doesn't affect the weapon. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see it be silenced, but if we're looking at the weapon from an IC perspective, its lore should be taken into account. The weapon's description clearly states:

"Tarnada is a sword empowered by the storms of the desert on Gold. Storing that power, it will suddenly and chaotically unleash it when it decides it wants to"

As such, it makes sense that if the character were silenced that the weapon's own "power" per se were to cast said Vydel. Do I agree with having it changed to Wind Slasher? I could understand that. But another potential fix I can see is the Skullcaver treatment. Making it so that the cast chance is UL/2% rather than UL%.

As for making it a valid casting tool, that also depends. In my honest opinion, I feel as though if it were a valid casting tool for Sylphid magic that it may worsen its reputation than this entire Vydel "epidemic". It would make it so that instead of off-handing a tome, which one needs to do to make the Vydel full-powered, they could two-hand the Tarnada and sub bloody palms for increased power, for example.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone's opinions or what have you, I'm simply sharing my opinion on this matter.
Discord: Selfish Gene#0139
[Image: lClrhgZ.png]
I think Gold's storms aren't supposed to be hitting people for a free 650-850 wind damage and a knockdown, but that's just me, maybe.

Like the OP said, even if you lower the UL% chance to trigger it, it will still be a chance to insta-murder people and their whole team if they're cramped together in let's say, a Sanctuary after being Rescued by a Curate.

Tarnada needs counter-play, and badly. And in my opinion, the counter-play shouldn't be tied to RNG. (Hopefully this answer doesn't sound so destructive to your post, Gene.)
"Snake" Wrote:I think Gold's storms aren't supposed to be hitting people for a free 650-850 wind damage and a knockdown, but that's just me, maybe.

Like the OP said, even if you lower the UL% chance to trigger it, it will still be a chance to insta-murder people and their team if they're cramped together. Tarnada needs counter-play.

Yes, but even said 650-850 damage needs some form of build-up and luck to it. Is it disastrous if it does land? Of course, it is, no one likes to lose from such an instakill and "unskillful" play. In order to reach that, however, in its current state, the individual needs to sacrifice one of their slots with a casting tool, cast charge mind preemptively and be lucky enough to proc that 24% chance. Does that justify the damage amount and "outplay" of it? Of course not.

With this said, lowering it to a 12% chance rather than a 24% chance literally halves the likelihood of it happening. It's better than slapping a silence counter and calling it a day since lore-wise it doesn't make sense for silence to have an effect. If anything, maybe having charge mind not have an effect on Vydel if it's honestly that dreadful.
Discord: Selfish Gene#0139
[Image: lClrhgZ.png]