Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utility Weight
Shael's Utility Belt is a massive source of noticeable lag on every frame of the game outside of combat.

I tested it, and upon the first second of getting the Utility Belt, massive lag starts in the client. I ran a test just a moment ago with a character that did and a character that didn't have the belt, both at the same time. The one with the Utility Belt lagged horrendously and the one without it had no noticeable lag at all. HUD Transparency does nothing to solve this issue.
[Image: unknown.png]
Maybe thats why I lag so bad.
And yet I can't notice any difference even if I have 100 slots on the screen. This isn't really helpful, especially when there's no mention of BYOND version or computer specs.
Is there the possibility of adding a toggle for that to show or not? I think the stubbornness of people related to this is because we don't know what's keeping you from doing so.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
There's no point to doing so at all. If you're getting 'lagged' by the utility belt there's no reason you wouldn't get lagged by the HUD or even the character/talent screens.
The computer I played on before was lagged by the rest of the screen as well, and hiding the HUD did help. But not as much as just not having the utility belt did. Of course, without the HUD and the utility belt the game ran incredibly smooth. But with both I consistently ran the game at extremely low framerates. Opening the character/talent screens with both of them wreaks havoc.

Like I said in the previous thread. Low end computers are effected by this while medium to high end computers will barely notice a change, if at all. It may not lag/drop frames for you dev, but I believe we can all personally assure you that there is a noticeable difference before and after picking up the utility belt.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
I would be very curious to know what 'low end computer' specs you're playing on to where it makes a difference.
I have 16 GB of RAM and a 770M Nvidia card, and even I get affected by the utility belt. No one mau know why, but it's definitely affecting performance.
My own personal experience was with a few year old chromebook. The kind that could literally run nothing, but through some miracle was able to run byond games if only barely. So probably around 2 GHz, 2 GB of RAM, no semblance of a graphics card.

I now have basically triple that and an intel graphics card of some kind and I can still notice the difference.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
770M is a laptop graphics card as far as I know, and any kind of Intel 'graphics' are integrated into the CPU. RAM doesn't have anything to do with it. In Blue's case, I would be sure that dreamseeker.exe is using the 770M instead of the integrated graphics (in the NVIDIA control panel, you may have to manually add the entry). If you're using integrated graphics I'm pretty sure BYOND gets forced into software mode which is much less performance friendly.

Out of curiousity, does performance get at all better when you hold the hide HUD button (End, I believe)?