Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Armor of Eyes
Armor of eyes seems to be quite literally the best armor in the game right now, hands down nothing else is basically considered for most builds.

Tanks take it for the negation of critical damage entirely sometimes, and the negation to flank and backstab bonuses which are huge for VAs

Martial Artists also take it because its evade is rather high, serves a tanky purpose and fits in weathered body now.

Hit and Crit builds take it for the SUBSTANTIAL hit it provides, +19 at max UL (infact just a lot of people in general use this well)

Dodgy builds take it because with insect remains it can hit 31 evade at max stats, keep in mind that Ninja armor, an armor purely meant for dodging stuff, hits 33 evade at max stats, only a mere 2 more than armor of eyes, without NEARLY as many effects.

Its caused many problems in the past, and has been strong since it was ever introduced, there really hasn't been a better unarmored slot for quite a while, the only exception to this was before the new -remains materials came out, because it'd hit 23 evade at max, as it was hampered by being a metal instead of a cloth, I don't want to exactly nerf insect remains for being a metal that gives evade, as that'd disable a lot of design space, for this one problem item.

This armor needs to receive an overall nerf to help it stay in line with other armors, as it stands there isn't much for armor variety in the game because armor of eyes is used by almost everyone, I'd like to propose the following:

Quote:UL% Chance to nullify crit damage - Changed to UL% chance to reduce critical damage by UL%

+UL Hit is now changed to 1/2 UL Hit

Base evade is changed to 5, from 10

Base armor is increased to 6, from 3
Agreed with the over all changes suggested, though I think the + hit effect should be removed and replaced with something else. Like inflicting watchful eye or something creative. Either way, +1
[Image: GQJ8dCS.png]
[Image: unknown.png]
remove the back stab and flank immunity, or make them only work UL% of the time
That's not addressing the actual issues about the armor Lolzy, if anything those are fine to stay.
I do like the Watchful Eye suggestion on top of the suggestion Spoops made. That's where my vote goes.
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
Slapping watchful eye on armor would be a buff more than a nerf. It's tied with Cloak of Many Colors for the best unarmored torso piece in the game, because it gives:

- Weathered body compatibility. (Why we chose the 'must not be metal' stipulation to be removed instead of the 'magic def + armor must be lower than x' is beyond me)

- Hit chance, an extremely valued stat that no other torso really provides.

- One of the strongest UL% proc effects out of all of the ten stars, competing with Vorpal Fang or Skullcaver in how much of a mathematical advantage it provides.

- Evasion compatibility, because the only thing better than Hit and DR is more DR.

- Metal material bonuses. The new remains items make it disproportionately more powerful than any cloth counterpart would be. +8 Evasion from insect remains? It's on par with ninja armor, but gives everything else I just listed.

I don't have a strong opinion on what portions of the armor to chip power from, but do know that it is one of, if not the, most powerful armor pieces. Even if this was exiled to Light Armor, which practically nobody touches, people would STILL use it for the hit chance alone.
I still think it should like, null your Hit bonus if you're Blind and triple the effects of it (Ignoring Golden Eyes).
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
The Staff of Eyes already gives a +HIT bonus. If anything, we could take a look at how DND does with this sort of (exact same) thing.

You could have LIGHT damage dealt to the target have a status affliction ( or even dmg*2 vs status resist ) chance of afflicting TRUEBLIND. Which goes through golden eyes, and is 3x the effect of actual blind. You could also have a number of other effects.

As it stands right now, Armor of Eyes, on it's own, is one of the best items in the game. It was better ™ after it's nerfed functionality with the SoE.. but it's still pretty bad.

Item in question for above.
Quote:This robe is adorned with eyelike patterns. While you wear the robe, you gain the following benefits:

The robe lets you see in all directions, and you have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
You have darkvision out to a range of 120 feet.
You can see Invisible creatures and objects, as well as see into the Ethereal Plane, out to a range of 120 feet.
The eyes on the robe can’t be closed or averted. Although you can close or avert your own eyes, you are never considered to be doing so while wearing this robe.

A Light spell cast on the robe or a Daylight spell cast within 5 feet of the robe causes you to be Blinded for 1 minute. At the end of each of your turns, you can make a Constitution saving throw (DC 11 for Light or DC 15 for Daylight), ending the blindness on a success.
Can we just like, do something normal for once?
To be honest, yes, no point in making everything so over-complicated. My bad Spooks.

Making it Light Armor will fix most of the compatibility problems with it at the moment, going by Kam's minor comment there. And hoo boy, this gives me good memories, when I asked kindly for Armor of Eyes to become Light Armor, and In-Fighter Gi become Unarmored Torso.

There's a reason Armor of Eyes shouldn't benefit from MA innates and passives, Kensei innates to regenerate FP, Rogue passive skills such as Evasion. And the reason is obviously that the torso itself has already too much things stacked on it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]