Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hand of the Giant, Unfairly over powered.
All of the items information i got from the 10* list. { http://sl2.wikia.com/wiki/10_Star_Items ]

HotG
http://prntscr.com/g98dsz
increased str by ul/2 thats 12 str, 6 if offhanded
4 tile knock back.
Knockdown on crit.

Assuming they are fighting mobs, the mob will only be able to move in most cases, Mobs almost never crit, And assuming they have 7, thats 4 from getting up, 3 to move in range to attack, 1 left over, they can't attack and they just get knocked back again. A npcs only hope is a mage the like the spatials.
Assuming they are fighting a pc, They can hit and knockback the target, sidecut won't reach unless you are using voltiger or rage(wind) enchant, or a skill like hanging. This is fine as it plays into a tactical part of fighting other players. But when you add both knock down and back on top of each other... You likely won't have voltiger since you probably didnt dodge, considering they knocked you away by this point. So a duelists only means to attack back is to use crystal rose since you had already spent 3 getting up. If they run a sub class with eviter, stalemate, evasion, etc. They can reduce the damage signifigantly, and since the duelist only has once attack at this point -Crystal rose- it's basically one sided and can vary depending on your sub class.

Now Compared to the Mortisimo...

Mortisimo
https://prnt.sc/g98gus
1+UL(24)=25 sound damage, and only while they are feared.

First complaint.
Both of these fists are 10 stars, the first one boosts its own str, which boosts its damage, knocks anything and everything away, And knocksdown if they crit, which would be easy to do as they can ignore that small 10% def scaling, go pure str, ski, and luck, then spec into dodging.
The 2nd one only applies its bonus under very situational or gimmicky conditions.
This seems really unbalanced as both are 10 star fists and one is clearly better.

Anchor Edge
https://prnt.sc/g98f3r
increases its atk size by 2 at max ul
pulls in enemies 2 tiles
Inflicts immobilize on crit.

Second Complaint
Compared to the fist, they are similar. the anchor edge should be able to hit someone using the fist considering it's Ul potentials regarding range.
However compared to it as well, It's still theoretically inferior. It doesn't increase a stat that it uses reducing its overall damage, Then comparing immobilize to knockdown, Immobilize still allows the opponent 2-3 actions, where as knock down only allows 1-2, 3 IF you're a martial artist.
So right now, it seems the only way to counter fist of the giant is to be a martial artist, or to use anchor edge and immobilize them.

Skullcaver
https://prnt.sc/g98jut
UL% chance to stun.

Final Complaint
Like the mortisimo, its highly under powered for a 10* A 1 in 4 chance to stun compared to a garranteed knockdown on a crit from the hotg.
with a high crit chance build, thats 3 less M EVERY turn if they don't have the trait.
Unless you're playing a crit build thats 1 attack every turn.
if the hotg user is running crit evade, good luck with that.
Back to the skull caver, idk much about stun and how it works, But i think it auto ends your turn. It'd be a bit harsher if it procs so i can understand the lower proc rate, Since if you do get stunned you can't recover that turn. But like i mentioned before, it also doesnt improve its own stats that it scales with like the Hotg.

Summary and Solution
HotG
We don't really need to change much of the other items, as much as we simply need to nerf the Hotg a little bit.
increased str by ul/2 thats 12 str, 6 if offhanded - I'd suggest removing this completly as none of the other [On Crit] weapons have anything like it.
4 tile knock back. - Despite primarily running duelist myself, I wouldn't change this, it makes sense to have that tactical edge over some if not most other melee types. It shouldn't be that easy to counter this knockback, voltiger, hanging, kensei skills, soldier skills, i can think of alot of ways to attack back if you don't want to waste M moving.
Knockdown on crit. - I'd suggest changing this to 2+UL%, that way builds with high crit chance can't spam it and a little luck is involved. it's still a really high chance as it's a 1 out of 2 odds. The chance is still higher then skull caver, as i mentioned earlier, i think stun would be even more of a pain to deal with since you can't recover as well as you can against knockdown.
Mortisimo
Needs some new effect, it's really underwhelming for a 10 star, Or change it's rarity.
Oh neat, yeah Hands of the giant has needed a nerf for a very long time, the crit effect is very strong, you can control the whole flow of the fight because of how brutal a HOTG crit is on someone.

I'd argue the KD needs to be removed, that'd make it infinitely easier to deal against, anything else would be icing on the cake.

Mortissimo I could see getting an upgrade to the sound damage it deals, on hits are fairly strong.
The draw of the Mortissimo is that it's a weapon that scales nearly completely on SAN. If it had an effect equal to HoTG, then it really would be op. But the HoTG mean that you're a MA promo who is building for strength and crit, when the classes themselves suggest to use autohits nearly exclusively. If the crit is going to be removed, then I'd suggest for it to get an extra 10% DEF scaling.

I definitely think that the Skullcaver and Anchor Edge need buffs though. The former due to its lackluster UL effect and mediocre scaling, the latter due to its even worse scaling.
+12 STR for wielding a weapon in your main hand, that gives KB and KD in it's basic attacks is insane. Especially whenever you consider that MA has Geldoren, which will also give Fear + Defense Shredding ontop of the KB/KD if you play DDR correctly.

I'm perfectly fine with the STR boost getting thrown out the window. KD can also be thrown out for flatfoot, or something that is actually interesting to fight against.
I'd like to see the strength bonus of Hands of the Giant gone entirely. A lot of people use for the stupid amounts of stats it gives, so if we could cull it in that fashion, yes please.

There's a reason it's been rightly dubbed 'Hands of the Meta'.
Guys, guys. While it's a 10-star weapon. Remember that it's a very rare Boss Drop. It doesn't fall in everyone's hands and therefore it should have the effects. So, my opinion on this is

I disagree ENTIRELY with the STR buff passive. It makes it worth the work.
The knockback okay as it is.
Knockdown with a chance of 2+UL (26%) on critical is fine too, it makes it on par with someone like Moonlight Mercy which has an instant kill if feared at a chance of 24% (If nobody knew of that effect.)

But try removing or nerfing down the effects?

Knockback by 1 tile every 8 UL?
On Critical Hit: 2+UL% Chance to knockdown the target?

Do you forget that HotG has low accuracy and critical base stats to begin with? It's hard to build it to hit good every time and most people just use it for autohits. That new effect listed isn't even worthy of being on a Boss Drop 10-star. Let's compare it with the Polearm Deadly Smile.

If Feared: Knock down the target on hit.

I'll just leave it at that and hope people see light in my opinion.
[Image: unknown_-_Copy_2.png]
~ ~
3 G
r e
d n
~ ~
"FiresTFS" Wrote:Guys, guys. While it's a 10-star weapon. Remember that it's a very rare Boss Drop. It doesn't fall in everyone's hands and therefore it should have the effects. So, my opinion on this is

Knockdown with a chance of 2+UL (26%) on critical is fine too, it makes it on par with someone like Moonlight Mercy which has an instant kill if feared at a chance of 24% (If nobody knew of that effect.)

Do you forget that HotG has low accuracy and critical base stats to begin with? It's hard to build it to hit good every time and most people just use it for autohits. That new effect listed isn't even worthy of being on a Boss Drop 10-star. Let's compare it with the Polearm Deadly Smile.

I think this is a good start. 24% chance on crit to KD, reduce the knock back. +1 here.
[Image: GQJ8dCS.png]
[Image: unknown.png]
Things scaling on SAN instead of STR means you get bonus health, FP, and status resistance... instead of Battle Weight. Scaling on SAN is way better than STR, even if you're just a human.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
"FiresTFS" Wrote:It doesn't fall in everyone's hands and therefore it should have the effects.

I personally don't think this has any merit anymore. It may have been true the first couple of months that specific wave of ten stars was released, but these days everyone and their dog has Hands of the Giant and Moonlight Mercies.

That said, the effect is very powerful and the scaling is surprisingly decent for what it does. Slapping free stats on top of it gives this way too much diversity -- just removing the bonus strength is a huge step in the right direction.
"FiresTFS" Wrote:Guys, guys. While it's a 10-star weapon. Remember that it's a very rare Boss Drop. It doesn't fall in everyone's hands and therefore it should have the effects. So, my opinion on this is

I agree with this mostly.

If the STR buff were to stay, instead of making it +12 Total in Main Hand and +6 Off-hand, it can possibly can be toned down to +4 STR flat as if treated like the "Hulking Hands" item but better.

I like the UL% Chance option to KD instead of auto KD, though the +2 shouldn't be needed (Or even 1+UL%/2 if no one can be happy).

Instead of nerfing a boss 10* weapon to the ground, how about we just buff the other 10*s effects up.