Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evasion/Glancing Blows
Yeah, there are some things that are unintended to be dodgeable (basic/sub attacks) which will be fixed very soon after this post. Also, an adjustment I'm making is that spells won't be dodge-able.

But at the end of the day, as I've said, it's an experiment and it might not last for very long depending on people's reception to it. In the meantime I ask that you test it out a bit.
"Neus" Wrote:In the meantime I ask that you test it out a bit.
Without patch notes or any kind of debug tool, the testing might be a bit limited.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Do you think it's possible to make it so 'dodging' doesn't negate the attack a la Geist Schritt, but still takes no damage? Certain things such as Heaven Kick seem to get wonky with it.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Yeah, all of the easy solutions have issues like that. If you can dodge the damage instance, but not the after effects, it gets weird (like if you dodged Turnover damage but still got knocked down). But if you can dodge the skill like Geist it can also be weird for things like Heaven Kick. Which is why making Rogue evasion an innate system for all classes might end up being our best option after all.
That's something I'd definitely be all for, and have been for quite a while. Any kind of test with a global evasion system would be very appreciated.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
I highly prefer that option as well! We'll see how it goes for now, I suppose.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Neus, I did offer you a server a long time ago. Ask your current server provider if he/she can pull up another slot in their thing. I know they can.

Also, most of us aren't bug testers. I think that's actually a job you get at a company actually. It's a skill to minutely point out a lot of things and test every scenario of a single feature of the game. That said, this should definitely be encouraged in the test server, instead of just putting it up and saying nothing.

But bugs will be bugs, I guess. I'll hit you up with a PM in a second, Neus.

Edit: Damnit there was more pages.

Yeah, Evasion seems like a mechanic that needs to be tested and balanced. Hopefully all the bugs on it can be ironed out, but since this is a global mechanic, expect bugs anyways.
"Neus" Wrote:Yeah, all of the easy solutions have issues like that. If you can dodge the damage instance, but not the after effects, it gets weird (like if you dodged Turnover damage but still got knocked down). But if you can dodge the skill like Geist it can also be weird for things like Heaven Kick. Which is why making Rogue evasion an innate system for all classes might end up being our best option after all.

I agree that making the Evasion system a thing for all classes would just tie in better in the end, I've done quite a few tests with the current evasion system and can say that it is kind of weird at the moment:

Basic attack skills such as Wazabane or Couloir will make an evasion check, and if that doesn't pass the skill won't go off, meaning you won't ever get the hit bonuses they provide.

Anything else is as you already mentioned, weird things happen when skills don't go off properly.
One of the big problems with evade is that it requires more of an investment to make work, does nothing if overcome, and reduces damage less than defence and resistance, which will always be available, are more reliable, and require much fewer stats to make work.

I think that base hit rate and evade rate need to play some role in making the reduction from evasion/glancing blows and dodge more viable. Also reducing the massive swing potential the formula can have with certain buffs and racials.
Evasion, as in the defensive property, feels hit and miss, as Blues said. If you don't have enough evade against someone who can hit you, your defense is completely broke unless you invested in actual defense. But if it hits the mark, you fuck up your opponent's options. So with evade, it's either fillerupcowboy or none. Glancing Blows seem like a not bad mechanic, but I personally feel it shouldn't overshadow actual defense. Else Evade will literally become the only viable defensive stat, and anything requiring heavy armor will be gimped.