Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Not-Powerful
I’ve had this issue for a little bit, and I’ll voice my complaints here. Simply put, Will isn’t up to par when it comes to skill slots. Let’s run through this:

Skill gives 1 skill slot per 5 points of Skill. That’s a given, since Skill is literally how skilled you are at something, and how much experience you have. It only makes sense.

Guile gives 1 skill slot per 5 points of Guile. This one is more in the air for me, but I can let it pass, since it’s cunning and slyness. Though, very odd, considering...

Will gives 1 skill slot per 10 points of Will. Mental fortitude and actual focus aren’t as good as being sneaky and deceitful, and since mages often run on Will, this is leaving me confused. Without scaling kicking you in the rear, you can only get 4 skill slots with 40 Will (a huge investment), and if you’re a Lich, you get 5 instead with 50 Will.

This seems a little odd to me, especially considering that people were complaining about skill slots being a problem. But, there’s one thing: Spellbook. For the low cost of 3 spent talent points and main-handing or off-handing a tome, you get 5 free skill slots just for holding a tome. I personally think this is a bit ridiculous, on top of the Will skill slots, so I’m going to suggest this to save characters that rely on Will without using a tome (like Spelledge weapon users, Black Knights, Martial Artists, Monks, Ghostwind/Asura Fist, etc):

Quote:Will gives 1 skill slot per 5 scaled Will.
Spellbook’s effect is halved if the tome is offhanded or if wielding another weapon other than a tome.
[Image: unknown.png]
This will probably be the third thread about WIL being underrated, skill slot wise. And I hereby agree.

WIL should be 1:5 instead of 1:10.

GUI gives more damage than WIL does, and extra hit on top of it. Same goes for SKI, with bows and guns. Why should Magic suffer?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I agree with this thread
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
>Gui get 5
>Ski get 5
>Will don't have 5

pls reduce Will's 10 to 5.
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
I'm fine with WIL giving skill slots at the same ratio as SKI/GUI. If Spellbook is really an issue here, then reducing its effect will do.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
I feel this would make skill slot acquisition trivial.

While GUI is rather niche compared to SKI/WIL, everyone needs at least 15 SKI under the current system.

Anyone's who's dumping SKI and GUI so hard that WIL is their only source of slots is likely bulky as all hell, though most builds want SKI for infliction or hit, so it's not a common dump stat beyond Boxer/Monk or other pure tank setups that care less about proccing Evasion every single time/never inflicting via a status check.

WIL is like STR in that it's often a desirable stat for the sake of scaling, but unlike STR it serves multiple other purposes. I don't think it should be made even more powerful than it already is, it already received the boon of raising Elemental Attack across the board, if it were to be made an equal source of slots, you'd have to actively try to run yourself out of skill slots with the ludicrous amount you'd have.

I can't think of any classes aside from like, Demon Hunter that's that stressed for slots and doesn't often take SKI/WIL/GUI.

If you want slots, account for taking more SKI. Fat healers don't need their lives made that much easier.
I'm going to argue against this

Willpower is already the primary FP stat, it gives .5 ALL elemental attack.

Skill gives Ice attack Its primary hit stat it gives half of the primary crit stat.

Guile is the primary crit damage stat, It gives flanking bonuses, it gives acid attack.

Willpower is a more loaded stat from the get go, it gives many times over total elemental attack than either guile or skill since it gives .5 to EACH element
Will gives 1 point of all elemental attack per 4 points, and this only kicks in at full integers, so even saying it gives .25 Elemental Attack is inaccurate. Add to this that people who use Elemental Attack will use around two or three elements due to the Elemental Attack system as a whole, and Will's value further diminishes.

Everyone needs Skill under the current system unless you plan on eating Evasion completely and just want to increase your damage to compensate, so it's much more of a god-stat than Will ever will be. And since Elemental Attack seems to be staying, I'd be up for buffing Will to a 5:1 ratio. If anything, Skill should be the stat that has a 10:1 ratio.
"Trexmaster" Wrote:Fat healers don't need their lives made that much easier.

This is about where I land on the issue, too. Bringing Will down to the level of Skill and Guile will allow full tanks more leeway with their skill slots, which I don't think is all that warranted. Choosing to ignore accuracy and crit damage in favor of autohits/passives has been -- and still is -- a prevalent trend, even with the Evasion changes slowly helping. Doing that should punish you in other ways, one of which being a small skill pool.
A lot of mages can make up for the WIL issue with spellbook instead if they desire skill slots, being equal to 25 SKI in terms of raw stat usage.

Personally I think that WIL is fine where it is, the only proposal I'd make to skill slots is letting them be purchasable with legend inks, which I already did and was denied.