Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the topic of guns
I think messing with the scalings and bumping up Akimbo's effectiveness is a good start. Perhaps even thinking up some more Weapon Potentials for Guns would make them more appealing.

Here's some thoughts on what scaling changes could be made. I figure the ones that already scale with a second stat don't need the willpower scaling.

Handgun - 100% SKI, 20% WIL
Autopistol - 90% SKI, 20% WIL
Shotgun - 90% SKI, 20% WIL
Hold-Upper - 65% SKI, 45% GUI
Spirit Hunter - 55% SKI, 45% SAN
Firthrower - 70% SKI, 40% STR
Ryeser - 45% SKI, 45% LUC
Yin - 80% SKI, 30% RES
Yang - 80% SKI, 30% FAI
Jackhammer - 65% SKI, 25% WIL
Quickdraw - 45% SKI, 45% CEL
Moonlight Mercy - 80% SKI, 20% WIL
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I have two different opinions, here.

My first is that I don't think this'll fully solve the issues with multi-shot guns and that this'll only solidify single-shot guns.
My second is that these scalings seem pretty over-the-top for guns (a mutated autopistol, anyone?), and with most of these, if not all reaching 90% scaling at minimum, then there should be buffs to the other weapons that can't even reach that.
[Image: unknown.png]
"Neus" Wrote:Yes, I pretty much agree that the big issue with this scaling is that it means you get everything you want from SKI. It might make more sense to have guns also rely on WIL in their scaling if they're going to get competitive totals with other weapon types.
How much of a WIL scaling are we talking?
The 'you can kinda ignore me but damage is only 9/10th good' scaling, i.e. 90~100% SKI and 10% WIL?
Or the 'Take me or deal with poor damage' scaling, i.e. 40~50% SKI and 60% WIL?
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
how about making guns scale on Willpower or Guile, whichever is higher since Guile, Will and STR are the three "damage" stats.

guile doesn't give increased critchance, its hit bonus is unreliable due to requiring facing, especially at range.
I think an even split is best as far as WIL scaling goes. If you want guns to be competitive damage wise without their conditionals then they need to be in line with expectations for most other weapons, IE having to take a hit to stat up WIL.
As long as their scaled weapon attack is on par with stuff like bows, swords and fists, I think that sounds more than fine.
In that case, here's a list to tinker with:

Handgun: 55% WIL, 55% SKI
Autopistol: 60% WIL, 40% SKI
Shotgun: 60% WIL, 60% SKI
Spirit Hunter: 35% WIL, 35% SKI, 30% SAN
Hold Upper: 50% GUI, 30% WIL, 25% SKI
Ryeser: 30% WIL, 30% SKI, 30% LUC
Firthrower: 75% STR, 25% SKI
Excel Sniper: 50% WIL, 30% SKI
Magical Nova: 50% WIL, 50% SKI
Yin: 50% WIL, 40% SKI, 20% RES
Yang: 50% WIL, 40% SKI, 20% FAI
Jackhammer: 35% WIL, 30% STR, 30% SKI
Sea Hunter Gun: 55% GUI, 55% SKI
Tarnell: 40% WIL, 40% SKI, 40% DEF
Moonlight Mercy: 40% WIL, 40% GUI
Corvis Cannon: 30% WIL, 30% SKI, 30% RES
Quickdraw: 40% WIL, 30% SKI, 20% CEL
Seed Sniper: 60% WIL, 50% SKI, 20% DEF

There is a few 'out there' ideas I have as well, under the spoiler:
Firthrower: 75% Fire ATK, 25% SKI
Yin: 50% WIL, 40% SKI, 20% Light ATK
Yang: 50% WIL, 40% SKI, 20% Dark ATK
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I think majority or at least half wil scaling is a better option in that regard, as it'll actually cause people to care about the WIL scaling instead of brushing it off and leaving it at 20-30. (Except in special cases like Firthrower.)

I'd argue that Corvis Cannon's current scaling fits it well, as CEL and RES are both equally hard to fit into a high damage build.

I also think that Moonlight Mercy could make do with 50% WIL 40% SKI instead.
I agree with the buffs proposed by Chaos. A reload mechanic sounds like it could spice things up as well as factoring in a strategic decision. Otherwise the scalings could definitely use some love along with akimbo being cool mcgee again.
[Image: tenor.gif]
Personally, I only think the reload mechanic should be added if the scalings or base powers of all guns get increased from what was suggested. I can't quite recall exactly how reloading would work, but I'm assuming it takes momentum to do so- meaning there's going to be a pause between each attack or set of attacks.

When scalings are split between 2/3 stats it's that much harder to get the damage to be decent while also getting other stats necessary to make a build/survive. So I would say it's only fair that the damage done is significant, or at least slightly above average.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]