Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Void Assassin Change (Void Gates)
Well, I've been playing VA recently and I love the damn things but there is only one issue I have with it and everyone seems to agreed with the issue, namely: Void gates are virtually useless. I personally think that the only thing that makes them 'not worth' is that you have to take the precious time to make them for what is probably going to be a single use. and you will end up with an annoying-to-use blink that costs more M (If I remember correctly). So I thought 'why not make it passive and hands free?' So here I am, and I have pretty much totally fleshed out the entire skill. And on a personal note, I just don't 'feel' like a Void Assassin if I'm not using void gates, it's more or less just an assassin with a massive res buff and a mage-crippling skill.

Void Flux(or fluctuation if you prefer)
Passive (Toggle)
Creates a void gate at a random location every X rounds at a cost of Y FP (or if you deem it better, void energy, same numbers either way).
X is 4/2/1 rounds based on ranks 1/2/3 respectively.
Y is 15/10/5 FP (or void energy) cost at ranks 1/2/3 respectively.
So,
Rank 1: 4 rounds, 15 FP(or VE) Void gates last 3 rounds.
Rank 2: 2 rounds, 10 FP(or VE) Void gates last 5 rounds.
Rank 3: Every round, 5 FP (or VE) Void gates last 7 rounds. (same round limit 8-) )

I figured the cost while being auto cast would put some sort of draw on their resource pools (since i personally rarely 'use' my FP or VE) and it doesn't much matter which pool since the VA has Absorb Veil to recover up to 60 FP. You could also make it 'not' outpace Radiation by either upping it to 5 or lowering final rank cost of Void Flux to 3. ... Or you can give it Rank 4: 2 per round, 3 FP (or VE) and leave Radiation alone, assuming you want to make the void energy gain not negative. Of course you could tweak neither one and just let it drain void energy and make the skill toggle off when it cannot proc or let the player toggle it off before the run out of VE or FP. And every bit of this hinges on Void Flux using void energy as a fuel. Anyway, I hope you'll consider this idea and potentially make it part of the game.

A side note: perhaps you could replace the fray-->void gate skill or add another skill granted by.. something (anything, even automatically granted when void gates are in play that you own) that causes void gates to destabilized and instead of fray, they collapse for a moderate damage explosion with a circle range and size equal to air pressure. Could also beef up the damage and then cause it to only collapse at the end of the round while being destabilized at any point in the round, maybe it could even leave void pollution. I just came up with this more recently and these thoughts are off the top of my head. Anyway, I'd call is 'Gate Implosion.'
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!
sounds nice, I'd limit the range of spawning void gates, to within the range they can jump to.

also Frayed voidgates are nice, they should stay, if you don't like them you clearly haven't seen their potential. ( their job isn't so much damage, but keeping your void energy up) but I guess void implosion could be added as a thing, not a replacement.
I'm in agreement with Lolzy. I'd like to see more skills added rather than replacements. These look really good though, you've done excellent in my opinion.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
I think ranking it like this would work

rank 1 within 1/3 of void gate max range, 15fp
rank 2 within 2/3 of void gate max range 10fp
rank 3 within void gate range 5 fp

because secretly, lower range is better.

also void implosion
Rank 1 destabilizes void gate causing implosion next turn
rank 2 reduced fp
rank 3 immediately implodes
rank 4 destabilizes nearby gates, implode next turn
rank 5 Chain implosion.
Void Gates aren't entirely useless really, considering it's a way of movement that gives you back two momentum. But yeah, it'd be nice for more skills to be added for people who don't have any WIL. (Because WIL-based VAs are far superior in my own opinion.) All for the Void Flux.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3024#p3024 Wrote:Miller » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:09 pm[/url]"]WIL-based VAs are far superior in my own opinion.
The new skills helped out quite a bit for dagger users, I think.

And the changes to other classes made Void Mage a lot less appealing, but still fine.
dagger users, hands down, do the most str based damage in the game, that 50% crit damage increase + 104 to crit from base and promotion...... +backstab bonuses

will void assassins have....frayed gates and black bolt.

Cutthroat and Fray are good skills by themselves, blotch is useful to everyone, darkshield is great when fighting a hexer.
I think the Voidgate skill needs to be more useful for it's intended use. So what I'm thinking is just a small change.

Quote:Voidgate

Targets an empty location or Voidgate in Range.
Location: Creates a Voidgate at the target location for X rounds (based on Rank).
Voidgate: You leap into the void and instantly reappear at the Voidgate's location. Teleporting refunds half the cost of the skill.

Rank 1: Learn skill, 1M, 12FP, 3 Rounds
Rank 2: 11FP, 4 Rounds
Rank 3: 10FP, 5 Rounds
Rank 4: 9FP, 6 Rounds
Rank 5: 8FP, 7 Rounds

What this means is that effectively you can use Voidgate as if it were Blink by making a Voidgate (1M) and then teleporting to it. (2M)

As opposed to now which you need (3M) for the gate and then (4M initially but 2M overall) to teleport, which means you really couldn't do much with a Voidgate on the turn you set it up.

Alternatively, you could set up Voidgates between turns easily or you can even set up many Voidgates in a single turn. I think this would give it the utility it needs.

Only thing that may be an issue is balancing with Fray. (But then again, Fray still costs 3M, so maybe it's fine?)
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
at best with fray you can do two void gates a turn, voidgates that already exist, and fray waves move in easily avoidable lines.

also voidgates aren't player loyal, any void assassin, ally or foe can use your gate and fray your gate ( which makes it their frayed gate.....)
Wow lots of replies, I honestly expected this post to get maybe a glance and then be buried, haha... Anyway, that chain reaction thing catches my eye as a massive signature combo, it would also make them viable to go up against a crazy dungeon. And I did think of limiting random spawn to a readily usable distance (also it makes more sense that they would appear close by) but I felt it would be a tad too strong... At max rank it would render them both immune to immobilize (nearly) and impossible to chase.... Sure, that's great for them, but then they are on top of anyone on the field they want (excluding giant/spacey maps) in one round beyond the first.

As for that small tweak on the cost of the gates, that basically does make them viable as.. ya know, gates. Though they are still more or less one-off uses... So why not give them some options and creativity with the gates? It's also possible to give them both of these things, the passive making, the direct making, and maybe even that gate implosion bit as individual skills, then VAs would have a whole other schtick to choose from aside from Void Mage and Leet Rogue
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!