Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Races] Racial Levels
Corbie's learning how to dive bomb people. Knock erryone down.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3141#p3141 Wrote:Rockabye » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:50 pm[/url]"]Depends on what it is, in my view. A racial ability is still an ability, and all abilities ultimately come from genetics anyway. After all, no one can do something that their body simply cannot do, no matter how much they practice. Maikito, your argument seemed silly to me. No one ever suggested anything as crazy as jumping to grow wings. What's being suggested is becoming more skilled in the things that a character's body is already capable of, and potentially find more ways to use them that they weren't aware of before. For example, humans are capable of swimming, but they aren't initially aware of how to swim. The ability and potential are there, but it takes effort to realize it. I believe the same principle can be applied here. I'm not saying that all genetic abilities are trainable, but it isn't true that none of them are, and it also isn't true that there couldn't be more that simply take practice to actually be able to perform.
I see what you are saying there. and I understand it.I suppose my example was a bit too exaggerated and not entirely the best comparison (Since I was typing while in a hurry actually, skimming over words here and there as I read). Still, I would rather it not be branched off into it's own entirely new leveling system. It seems more like something that would fit into the trait category. Either that or an LE ability that is gained from constant training of existing abilities.

I like the idea, but I would like for it to executed in a way that doesn't add more buttons to my HUD.
...Well that sounds profoundly lazy... >_> Also, traits are already bought up enough with things like blind fighting, tactician, and so on, if you're going to make racial stuff improvable via trait points, you're going to have to make only a few and you're going to have to make them as strong and meaningful as the other traits, otherwise people will not care and will entirely ignore them... After all, you only get 20 trait points, I generally find every single one is already bought up before i even get them. (Alright I'll get this trait then that trait then this other trait) Throwing a whole mess of racials in there will just make it worse... I would ignore them if they weren't truly good...

The reason I advocate for racial miniclassing as a small skill tree is it makes legitimate sense to me. Let's look at hyattrs, they fly and spit fire. They could put time into flying and learn to do neat things with it, like the earlier mentioned corbie dive-bombing or staying in the air longer, even through events that would normally remove air borne. They could also practice breathing fire, learning to do it more efficiently or with more power, or even more control (in-game would translate to lower costs, increasing damage/AoE, or targeted single tile or AoE (like vyd and air pressure... but with fire)). Liches could practice with/learn to use Focus energy shields to reduce or fully absorb damage at greater and greater damage negation to fp cost up to a certain cap. They could also enhance that life drain effect to be an AoE or at longer range (lich+melee range+'i need to heal'=BAD), essence blast could be made into an AoE with practice and control.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is I think the racial enhancement tree would enrich the game, even from an RP standpoint.
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!