Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Item Suggestion: Unbound Footwear
I'd like to suggest the following item, or some variation that grants the effect:

Quote:Unbound Footwear
Equipment (Legs)
Cloth Material

Rarity: ???

Item Effects:

-2 Defense
Immunity: Immobilize

Immobilize is a potentially game ending status for more than a small number of classes, and with the introduction of Blacksand's potential and Splash/Raintrap's interaction with ice, it's becoming far more common. I suggest some avenue of being able to deal with these -- and the others that exist, like Thornshooter -- that every class can pick up if they really need it. There are a great deal of other items that compete for the leg slot: Firewalkers, Voidwalkers, Spiked Treads, Thunderhooves, Ogata Waraji, etc, that this seemed appropriate to put as that type of equipment.

I have no strong feelings about whether or not this should stop restrain (grapple, Pinchers) since it requires people to be in a range that they can be interacted with.
I'm worried for if people hotswap to this just to counter another's build (Becoming an item that basically everyone has, like heron feather), immobilize prevents kiting entirely which can be a huge problem with several classes, not just the ones with 1m movement.

I'm not saying this wouldn't be a unwelcome addition, but I'm just saying that Immobilize has a huge playing factor, and this item would leave the style of kiting around with really far ranged abilities unchecked, straight up immunity to the status would be strong.

One option that exists could be to give it a skill named "Unroot" which costs 1m with a short cooldown or 3m while granting you temporary immunity, like silent prayer, unroot could even go so far to stop movement impairing abilities in general as well.
The footwear could change the effect of Immobilize to halve your movement instead, perhaps?
[Image: 7y3oPuY.png]
"Sawrock" Wrote:The footwear could change the effect of Immobilize to halve your movement instead, perhaps?

The problem isn't movement, more so long range movement (Especially of the 1m variety like how Winged Serpent still exists somehow)

I wanna hear a bit more before I jump to any conclusions here though.
"Unroot" could be a Trait, too. Maybe if that is really turned into a skill that costs 1M, that can be used multiple times to struggle out of an immobilize for a static 20% success chance, and on success, it grants Immobilize immunity for 2 rounds.

The shoe would probably, yes, be some item people will always want to have in their inventory.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Turn it into a trait of 3m to strggle free of imobilize on a chance based on scaled strength. I choose strength because everyone and their mother has luck now... But this Is a feat of raw power, ignoring petty obsticals on your death march. (maybe a temp immunity to prevent spamming upon success.)
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Trying to jam this into a trait is excessive, and doesn't really mesh with the means to cope with status effects already present in the game.

Compare immobilize to silence: both can disable your ability to do anything at all, and both are accessible and relatively easy to spam. However, in the event your build is that vulnerable to silence, you have several tools at your disposal:
  • Silent Prayer
  • Screaming Tome
  • Throatopener
  • Heron Feather
  • Lantern Bearer Immunity

And lastly, if all else fails, you can at least try to run away until the status wears off. The options for fighting off immobilize are roughly:
  • Cleanse Body
  • Slither Mastery

There are some catch-all solutions like Negotiate and Wash Away, but being unable to try and disengage and wait out the status when immobilized is arguably more devastating than silence to a mage with no answer to it. I'm hard pressed to find a reason that there shouldn't be additional item support to ward against this status. Whether it provides immunity or low cost escape abilities or something in between, it makes the most sense to introduce an item that helps fight immobilize, rather than a trait, class ability, consumable, etc.

Crowd control in general is on the high side right now, there should be opportunities to avoid being hard locked out of any of your combat options. These options shouldn't always be locked behind classes, a certain stat, or the size of your item belt. That's my opinion, at least.
Immobilize immunity, straight-out, is far too good to be on an equipment item, especially without any real drawbacks. (-2 DEF is nowhere near an appropriate drawback, especially when you consider that it'll allow super-mobile builds to dance out of damage anyways)

I'd be much more for adjusting or introducing more skills that can tackle Immobilize.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I'm up for the addition of this item. Kameron hit the nail.

Maybe there could be items of the same caliber that grant immunity to other statuses in the game, such as Stun and what not. Just an idea.

That said, it's really not fun for other people to get immobilized and become completely useless in most cases.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
"Chaos" Wrote:Immobilize immunity, straight-out, is far too good to be on an equipment item, especially without any real drawbacks. (-2 DEF is nowhere near an appropriate drawback, especially when you consider that it'll allow super-mobile builds to dance out of damage anyways)

I'd be much more for adjusting or introducing more skills that can tackle Immobilize.

When I posted this:

"Kameron8" Wrote:Whether it provides immunity or low cost escape abilities or something in between, it makes the most sense to introduce an item that helps fight immobilize, rather than a trait, class ability, consumable, etc.

The implication was supposed to be that I'm not married to -2 defense and immunity. The main idea of this entire thread is 'implement an item that lets people deal with immobilize'. I think adding class specific skills is a poor way to address the issue of immobilize becoming more accessible -- instead of 'Be a martial artist or you die', the problem just expands to 'Be a martial artist or X or you die'. It seems far more intuitive to add the countermeasure as an item.

I warn against hyperfocusing on the specific stats/effect I suggested, as it makes it very easy to forget the takeaway that being incapable of playing the game because of a status effect inflicted on you every turn is both unfun and unfair.