Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updating the Kill Consent Rule
The rule protecting characters from being killed without player consent is a useful rule, in my opinion, since it protects players from their characters being killed without good reason, maybe because someone doesn't like them, or wants to get rid of them for whatever reason. That's not what I want to talk about, or suggest, though.

It's become a concern to me that people have ways to completely work around this rule as they please, through another means. People may attempt to make a character unplayable without killing them, as such, by possibly removing all of their limbs, or making them brain-dead, to name some ways that I've heard suggested. This makes the former a problem, still. People would be able to use this tactic to make a character unplayable, maybe just because they don't like them, and want to get rid of them, making the kill consent rule useless.

My suggestion is that the rule could be updated to say "You must have consent from a player to make their character unplayable, through death or other means", to ensure people can't "kill" off characters through other means. When a character's time to die comes, it'll be up to a good RPer to decide... but people forcing characters to be unplayable like this is scary in the atmosphere of this community.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
The rules are stated already as you suggest; the Kill rule is just an example of the larger "No Godmodding" rule.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
This post comes mainly with concern that people are going to be given a pass due to being well known, as people I've heard talking about using this tactic are relatively well known, and respected members of the community that I feel like would be given a pass by the GMs when it may not be right to do so.

The fact the idea is considered a plausible tactic suggests people believe they'll either be allowed to make a character unplayable through other means, and that seems wrong. If no update, I'd at least hope Dev or a GM would give a ruling on whether what they try to do is fine or not here.
Doing IC things with OOC malice is already against the rules, this is especially so when it comes to trying to render people's characters unplayable without their approval. Regardless of who does this, these kinds of tactics won't be permitted if done for the wrong reasons.

If anyone has concerns regarding people trying to do this, please bring them up to a GM.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
Whether good reason or not, it feels like it's one of those things where you shouldn't be allowed to just make a character unplayable. If you can make a character unplayable, there's no point in a rule stopping you killing people. People will use this to make a rule pretty much worthless. That, and, well... You can never tell truly whether it's out of spite or not, because it'll always be covered up by some kind of reasoning.
Don't put your character in a situation to where you'd be attacked. That's what i say to all this. Otherwise, people would just make characters that are just antags to people as they are safe from ic rewards for such a smart mouth.

If you don't want the character to be hurt, don't put them in the situation.

Just like everyone tells others about, 'Don't go to laws end if you're smart'.
Pretty much what the above says.

Strengthening the already waaaaaayyyy hefty kill consent stuff would turn this game into one giant fluff party.

If you're gonna put your character in a dangerous situation, or if they do something obnoxiously stupid which could get them hurt, don't complain. Be prepared to face the consequences.
I'm generally neutral on this and I know plenty of situations lead to things that will cause it as it will. As it was mentioned by others, GM's and players included. Things generally fall to the kill consent rule as followed; as long as it isn't in the god modding situation and it something you've done ICly on your own actions, it falls to you in the end on it. If it clear your character is doing something ICly; ends up in a fight that can bring any type of wound and they suffer it; that's simply as it goes, it depends on your own actions from there what done as well as what done in the RP perspective (Speaking of hospital moments, healers on hand, etc.) and where it goes on in turn. I don't think attempting to change the rule regarding it more so in that is the best only due to there still a RP situation that can be done in some way no matter a character injury, until death follows them at the very least. That simply my opinion on it though and how I look toward it as a whole.
To my understanding, this thread isn't about wanting more safety for characters walking into dangerous situations, but about the ones deciding to murder characters out of OOC maliciousness. Which is fairly frequent nowadays- and some of them have even played around the rule by physically disabling a character.

"Slydria" Wrote:Doing IC things with OOC malice is already against the rules, this is especially so when it comes to trying to render people's characters unplayable without their approval. Regardless of who does this, these kinds of tactics won't be permitted if done for the wrong reasons.

It's probably just better to bring it up with a GM if someone is being incredibly fishy since said maliciousness is against the rules. 'Least that's how I see it.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Guess i got caught in my plot to kill Fern's characters.