Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Discussion] On the removal of Stat Traits
Its been a topic of discussion for a little while now, and let me get one thing out of the way here first, I think that removing the stat based traits is fully a good thing, making the traits more in line with character quirks than giving people raw stats is a way more exciting prospect that could drive a lot more thought into a character, and furthermore I don't want to come off as rejecting, I'm just raising my biggest concern to the community, and to Dev.

But removing those stat points does raise a bit of a problem, currently a lot of characters end up having 14 to even 21 of their total stats given from their traits, and this could spell a lot of problems for builds as they currently are actually very hard to account for, even some go as far as including Fugu Katsu's Well Fed buff (+2 All stats, 22 stat points total attributed) to pad out their builds, and I think this is actually a little bit of a problem, forgive me if I sound a bit elitist here by the way, I've been asked for so many builds and I've done so many since GR that stat crunching is literally just second nature to me.

I did hear that fruits of fluidity would be given out when traits are reworked but it will still leave people with large holes in their builds, and while it doesn't specifically entail this, I believe this will even further devalue Strength as a stat in most people's builds, people will flock to the majority SKI scaling weapons and mages, as they always have done when they have issue building a basic attacker character, to bring my own character as an example, a Kensei/Black Knight Shaitan with high CEL/STR/SKI/LUC, with good DEF and only par VIT, 21 stat points come from her traits currently, that means I would have to remove the 10 stat points I have from DEF and 11 from another stat, which devalues their build quite a lot.

Now watching to see what happens could work, people might just adjust and start lowering their stat expectations, but a lot of build paths would have to be adjusted as a lot of builds would basically become impossible at this point, not being able to hit the stats you need to function.

Or...stat points per level could be adjusted, being upped to 4 per level instead of 3.5, this would give everyone in the game 30 points to play around with, just a little bit more of what it is currently.

Oh also if stat points are adjusted to 4 per level, I'd suggest changing the Well Fed buff from all stats to something else entirely, like HP and FP Regen in battle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Ham
Some...necessary sacrifices must be paid in full for the future we will achieve.

And what did it cost?

Everything

[Image: ryzJkjJ.png]
[Image: tenor.gif]
Derailing aside, I agree with Spoops, if stat traits are to be completely removed a good number of builds I would say would have more complications or even high ineffective, I wouldn't mind a change in having more stats to welcome our new trait overlords.
[Image: tenor.gif]
I support this idea, too. A lot of builds will be damaged by the removal of stat traits, so it feels like there should be some way to cover for that, since it won't even out, due to some builds using more of those stat traits than others.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
I don't really know about 14-21 stat points, since that means you're ignoring other things like On Guard etc. I always stick to 3-4 stats, meaning I get 9-12 points from traits. But yeah, if stat traits are just outright removed, where's the compensation for it? Are we given 12-15 stat points total to make up for it? Or is everyone just weaker now?
"PinnyAerani" Wrote:I don't really know about 14-21 stat points, since that means you're ignoring other things like On Guard etc. I always stick to 3-4 stats, meaning I get 9-12 points from traits. But yeah, if stat traits are just outright removed, where's the compensation for it? Are we given 12-15 stat points total to make up for it? Or is everyone just weaker now?

Just to clarify, I did count in history traits here too, as well as accounting for people who do have the Legend Extension for traits, as that could easily add on an extra 3-6 stats.
Spoops has pretty much hit the nail with this. Nowadays people -have- to account for Fugu Katsu's +2 all stats bonus to make some builds work, and that's part of the reason why it's wanted almost everywhere, strangely enough it doesn't seem to be the HP/FP regen part of it.

People already avoid STR like the plague for basic attacks, and sometimes magic, unfortunately.

Generally people afford three +3 stat traits, four of them if they have the Legend Extension's Nora Wa. And four or five of them if they're not a basic attacker build, usually.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Does it really matter when everyone is going down by the same total number?
To Fern: I don't think people should rely on Fugu and other such items to finish a build; making a build that relies on a shaky enough concept that taking food stats out removes its viability is both poor foresight and damaging to any potential changes in the game. If you use your build as a reason as to why a change should not take place, that is. Although it's always good to have open discussion, so my apologies if my statement was rude.

To Dev: While I understand what you mean with such little amount of stats lost (and I agree we should not get extra stats for this; problems such as strength being undesirable should be fixed by the root, not the leaf), I think that argument itself is flawed. If we all, for example, got ten stat points, we'd have the same number of total stat points for little build variety. I'd think the best option would be keeping it as-is and changing it next update if need be.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
"Neus" Wrote:Does it really matter when everyone is going down by the same total number?

It's not just everyone going down by the same amount of stats, it's more the fact that everyone's builds have to be entirely reworked immediately, without any prior notification, once the update hits. That, and builds that could barely be done as-is are now fully obsolete.

And, I'm gonna say it here: it isn't the same total number for everybody, since, as Fern mentioned, some people can take anywhere from three to five stat trait trees, meaning anyone with stat traits can be losing anywhere around 9-15 stats, +3 to that figure if we're factoring in histories.

While I don't really use Fugu Katsu for builds (most of the time, anyway), it is an issue that needs to be addressed, of course. I think Spoops hit the nail on the head, and fully support his suggestion.

"Spoops" Wrote:...stat points per level could be adjusted, being upped to 4 per level instead of 3.5, this would give everyone in the game 30 points to play around with, just a little bit more of what it is currently.

Oh also if stat points are adjusted to 4 per level, I'd suggest changing the Well Fed buff from all stats to something else entirely, like HP and FP Regen in battle.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ideas of the new roleplay-oriented traits, and I am fully prepared for it to drop. The only issue is that I want everyone to be able to fix their builds accordingly and continue striding forward, instead of having to redo them entirely to see what does and doesn't work, effectively stepping backwards.