Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Monster" Madness
So after been witness to a fight in Cellsvich that ended with the guards 3v1 the attacker (WAIT this isn't a guard salt thread! Don't close your tab!) it got me thinking. The victim of this attack was an ugly (and probably smelly) carapaced lich. He could very much be described as a walking monster. Now let me be clear I'm not singling out the player or his character saying they are bad (I actually think it's a pretty cool character) I am just using them as an example of something that has always seemed a bit odd to me.

Isn't it weird that we have all these monstrous looking liches, shaitans and dullahans walking around in Cellsvich common areas? With no attempt at hiding their nature. At least from an in character perspective this is very odd. Now I understand many player characters are cool and unfazed by anything, but think of the common folk, the NPCs! Would they be comfortable seeing them walking around? Keep in mind it was not that long ago that Cellsvich was under attack be horrid creatures of darkness. Yes I know that these player characters had nothing to do with it, but what would the average non katana wielding citizen think? If you think this a ridiculous thing to bring up I remind you of Kronos (bless his soul). He was fooling around with a mask of the night lord, turning into monsters. He was arrested and then executed (okay so he had a record. This doesn't change my point!) for potentially/actually causing a panic. So this does have some legal precedence.

So what should be done about it you ask? I propose BAN these "people" from the public areas if the city, so our children will can sleep soundly at night, free of nightmares! Would this cover all people of the races I mentioned? Obviously not, liches who wear hooded robes for example would not really stand out. Most shaitans look normal except for their hands and if a dullahan just looks like a man in armour no one would bat an eyelid. Of course all of this would be down to the guards discretion these things aren't black and white after all. This might even be able to be applied to other races too, it all depends on the playby after all.

Anyway with my wall of text now over I'm interested in what everyone else thinks of the topic. Thank you for reading.
-------------------------------------------------
[Image: 1599085341408.gif]
It's simpler than you think. And probably pretty crappy and retarded too.

"If they have Passage Papers signed by an authority, they're allowed to get in Cellsvich and compromised to create no problems, at the risk of death."

You see this when you start the game, and try to enter the place. Cellsvich literally denies everything that attempts to get in, that is, if they are not one of their common folk. Now, for the fun shit. People ignore this fact and do it anyway, and do trouble anyway. So I wonder if this is really a problem of the populace or the people who don't RP accordingly to a IC ruling on how you should behave.

I have no idea how this slips people's minds. Perhaps because there is no reminder made clear, since this is a one-time thing. Or because people think Passage Papers are an OOC thing and lore-break it freely.

I'd love to know what Dev would think about this, tbh. Having people stomping over the lore he crafted just for convenience. Which matters more?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
People preaching about daddy huggy and vampires being overly open about the fact they are vampires would be something I would consider including in this to be honest. This isn't a liberal democracy at the end of the day, it's a Militant Monarchy. With Mercalan being the dominant faith would your average (Mercalan) bible thumping citizen be okay with people preaching the words of the god of anti life? It seems reasonable to me that this could be enforced as outraging public decency.

Then there is the fact that...
Quote:Huggessoa is the God of Antlife. Preferring to act with secrecy and subtlety
It doesn't sound like they are following their God's example very well but that's getting off topic :lol:

I would be interested to hear Dev's opinion on the topic since he is the only one who actually knows what the general NPC public's thoughts on such things are. I'll admit I am just making educated guesses at the end of the day.
Passage papers already are considered IC at least from what I've been told by some people, the guards can ICly check your papers for your name (this is just hear say though I could be wrong.)

I'd say a complete ban from the city would be too much yes. The people that fall under this description would be "encouraged" to move on inside somewhere (playing housing) or to leave city unless properly covered. The mages guild would be a logical place for these people to enter the city since I expect the nerds in there don't care much about how a person looks.
Noxid post_id=35141 time=1548627577 user_id=457 Wrote:Passage papers already are considered IC at least from what I've been told by some people, the guards can ICly check your papers for your name (this is just hear say though I could be wrong.)

I'd say a complete ban from the city would be too much yes. The people that fall under this description would be "encouraged" to move on inside somewhere (playing housing) or to leave city unless properly covered. The mages guild would be a logical place for these people to enter the city since I expect the nerds in there don't care much about how a person looks.

Passage papers are considered IC yes and your not wrong with guards checking them, that's 100% what they do if they need to. Another thing I doubt any of the NPCs care what you look like and I do agree that a complete ban from the city is a bit much, the best I can think of exiling the person from the empire for sometime but that wouldn't exactly be down to us.
[Image: Empress_of_Light.gif]
That shot @Huggessoa. ROFL. Yeah, in the end it's boiled down to people being shitty roleplayers and not following the lore. I'm sorry to say this, but some people just want attention and be speshul.

And yes, I can confirm it, being the one who started this trend among guards to make things more suitable to process people timely. (Because sometimes, certain asshats just lied their names, and when we discovered OOCly that they did, we'd have to like, scroll down a gigantic list and mess with the timer system just for the sake of making things understandable.)

And double yes, if a guard books in someone who doesn't have Passager Papers, they'll be getting twice the amount of time for being both illegals inside the Imperial walls, and criminals. So it is -mandatory- ICly for everyone to have them at all times, if they're not people who are registered as Imperials under the citizen records we ICly have.

ALSO! People are welcome and encouraged to open a report to the guards if anything 'unusual' or 'unsightful' is happening in Cellsvich that can easily count as 'Disturbing the Peace', 'Public Indecency', 'Public Nuisance', or if a serious case, 'Inciting Panic'. I suppose the moment something like it happened, we weren't really patrolling at the moment. We already had a similar case with a cannibal guy-girl-thing that was made of literally ripped meat and stitches.

They got the chopper.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Aqua post_id=35142 time=1548631122 user_id=1961 Wrote:
Noxid post_id=35141 time=1548627577 user_id=457 Wrote:Passage papers already are considered IC at least from what I've been told by some people, the guards can ICly check your papers for your name (this is just hear say though I could be wrong.)

Passage papers are considered IC yes and your not wrong with guards checking them, that's 100% what they do if they need to. Another thing I doubt any of the NPCs care what you look like and I do agree that a complete ban from the city is a bit much, the best I can think of exiling the person from the empire for sometime but that wouldn't exactly be down to us.

Again I remind you, SL2's setting isn't some modern liberal society. Just because most players don't react with disgust does not mean the average citizen (the NPCs that aren't represented ingame) is going to consider liches a misunderstood minority that is suffering unjust oppression based on their appearance. Also the final point you made is a bit of a contradiction. Banning from the city is too much but exiling from the empire is something you can do?