Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Many Weebs
With the changes Kensei has gone from a very flexible class to an incredibly rigid one. Not only does it require swords to use properly but those swords need to be of the katana subclass otherwise you are unable to get the full benefit of the class's innate skills as well as being unable to use any of the combos, with the exception of getting a critical hit beforehand.

As a suggestion to make it a bit less rigid I think the Kensei Offensive skills should be changed from 4 Momentum to 3 Momentum with the addition that they have a 2 round cooldown for people that don't use katanas. That or the FP cost can be halved if you have a katana instead of any other sword. The one exception could be Wazabane leaving it a 4M regularly and 3M for katanas since it's meant to be a precision cut.
Can this even be implemented, I wonder?

Lowering all to 3M, and making Katanas further lower to 2M could be funny, though. (Or maybe just skills like Sheath Sword, Kagekiri, Toiken and Hirazuki) I'd ascend in weebery if I could sheath my sword after every Kensei combo.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I am against this. Having those skills now only require two momentum of katana instead of three would be nutty. Likewise, the Kensei is a staple lass of Oniga, and I do not see any reason lore-wise one would use any other type of weapon, and have it be effective with katana techniques.
I'm going to hop back in and say yeah no let's not make them 3M/2M. I posted that we make them 3M with 2 round cooldowns for regular swords and no cooldowns for Katanas. Or something other benefit for katans other then making them 2M because that's is crazy.
Yeah, it was a mixed idea I had a while back but posted in the wrong place due to the classic greed :tm:, forgive my humanity. Anyway! I see now what the OP really is suggesting. But I dare say it would be bad to do so, since if it costs 3M, any kind of sword can perform a Kensei combo. It goes against what Dev had in mind when making this a 'strictly katana' class, I think?

For the best, if we're lowering Kensei skills to 3M and adding a 2-3 round cooldown to non-Katanas, I think 'Kensei Combos' should only happen if you use a Katana-type sword. If normal swords could use these combos nilly-willy it would just kick the reason Kensei got changed to the trash bin, I think.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I can agree with Kunai's last post here, I think the main point of the thread is having the ability to apply kensei passives like Touki/Kenki/Sakki without needing a katana, and instead being able to opt in for a regular sword instead, which sounds very reasonable to me.
I mean, isn't the whole point of Kensei that it's supposed to be a class devoted to katanas, it's just that the rampant abuse of its passives up until this point has pushed that from people's minds. I'd rather see Duelist just get a new sub class called Fencer or something if we want a purely sword based one rather than mangling an existing concept for the sake of what is already the most over-represented weapon type in the game.
Yes, the whole point of Kensei is to be a katana nerd but I didn't see any issue nor was there any issue with the innate skills before. More than 75% of Kensei users were already katana wielders and the last few percentages ranged from bows, guns, daggers, spears, fists, and axes. People combining classes to further their weapon's utility shouldn't be something that's looked down upon, that is why the duo class system exists to begin with. It is done already with many other different class combinations a good example is combining BK with a magic class for physical defense. All it did was give the people who weren't katana users extra hit, crit, and evade which isn't something that should be penalized at all as Duelist/Kensei was known as the basic attacking class tree with few autohits. Now it's pretty much DH but with a Katana requirement. While the effects are neat, they could have just been added for the people that take the autohit route for their Kenseis, which is more common then you'd think for those people screaming no one uses them in the back. The class is/was fine limiting the offensive skills to 3M with a katana and 4M with regular swords so I don't agree with that needing a change. I personally liked the old Kensei. It could have been mixed with this new one letting people decide if they wanted to be more autohit oriented with effects or basic attackers.
What would the point of this change be?
To make Kensei a little bit more flexible, due to its changes you need to make use of the offensive skills to get your value from both the innate skills as well as the absolute skills but with the offensive skills costing 4M for regular swords it gives those people a massive handicap as they can't use 2 different skills, at best they can apply one and then an absolute skill. This also means they can't benefit from the combo effects or sacred art unless they use sheath sword, even then they only get it for a single skill. With the exception that they have lower cel then their opponent and land a critical hit before their next turn.

The other suggestions are a part of making Kensei still a class that is better used when you have a katana. So instead of the skills being lowered by 1 momentum anymore we suggested ideas that the skills have cooldowns that can last about 2 rounds if used by any non-katana sword. That or making the combo effects only work if used by katana swords and nothing else.