Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Item Buff Megathread
Just glancing through what items were archived on the table over on the wiki and realized that plenty are terribly out of date or lackluster in performance so they never see use or are simply doomed to be junked or sold. So I thought to make this thread that will hopefully grow in helpful suggestions to some of these items.

Even if meant to be trash, it's still meant to be used.

An example being the newer accessories that give a measly 10% chance at making a skill or spell consume 0 FP.

Dar'Ensha - 10% chance when using a Rogue skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Ish'agami - 10% chance when using a Martial Artist skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Oka'Keran - 10% chance when using a Soldier skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Por'Phavr - 10% chance when using a Summoner skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Sel'Miaka - 10% chance when using a Duelist skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Tel'Valsh - 10% chance when using a Mage skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*
Tor'Inaeh - 10% chance when using a Archer skill, that it will not consume FP. - 3*

If they perhaps gave a 33% chance it'd seem much more desirable in a precious accessory slot. 50% chance at making a skill or spell consume half the normal FP required would also be a fair change in my opinion.

-----

Ring of Thorns - -10% HP, +3 Power to All Weapons. - - 4*

The trade off is nowhere near close enough to even be considered worth it. Maybe if it gave +10 Power? +20 Power? I'm not sure, but definitely not worth +3 Power.

Or reduce the health drain and put the power bonus to something reasonable.

-----

Spirit Mirror - Reflects the first enemy projectile that hits you. - 5*

This item is probably totally fine. Though I think it'd see more use if the reflect regenerated over X amount of turns. Maybe 3 or 4?

-----

Witch Hat - 2 FP Regen - 2*

We have High Mage Cape in existence. Why even bother with this? Maybe make it regen more FP to compensate for the lack of bonus stats. Either % based or a flat rate. It is a low rarity but even low level mages need more sustain than that.

-----

Dragon Gi- Cloth - 3 Defense, 4 Magic Protection, 7 Evade, 1 Weight - +10-20 HP, +10-20 FP - 7*

This thing seems to one of those outdated items, compared to the values we have as of March 2019 with people with hundreds of health and FP. For a 7* it can arguably be worse than the starter item, Wisp Cloak.

-----

Frosttouch Gi - Cloth - 1 Defense, 6 Magic Protection, 5 Evade, 5 Weight - Gain a chilly ice barrier that deals 15 unresistable Ice damage to attackers for 2 rounds after casting an Aquarian spell. - 9*

Probably the worst effect out the 9* elemental gis. The lightning one gives +15 Critical after a Nature spell. The fire a whopping +15 Strength after a Nerifian spell. Wind with +15 Evade after a Sylphid spell. Meanwhile this thing does an incredible 15 unresistable Ice damage after getting attacked after you cast an Aquarian spell.

I'm not sure what a good compensation would be but I'm sure someone could think of a better one.

----

I'll probably be adding more to the thread as time goes on, but these are some I can confidently say and have remembered are pretty bad. I'm not sure if rarity should be a factor or not because some of the things like Isespian Charm which is a 2* sees use because of the ability to give enough elemental resistance to resist its respective element which is a powerful thing to have in an accessory slot.
[Image: TvQhtZb.gif]
TheCommonNoob post_id=35563 time=1551428979 user_id=471 Wrote:Ring of Thorns - -10% HP, +3 Power to All Weapons. - - 4*

The trade off is nowhere near close enough to even be considered worth it. Maybe if it gave +10 Power? +20 Power? I'm not sure, but definitely not worth +3 Power.

Or reduce the health drain and put the power bonus to something reasonable.

My only concern for this one is the possibility of Multi-shot gun weaponry meshing too well with it, since it is straight damage per shot and not just weapon power, I'd just like to note out thats a possibility is all, and can be adjusted for beforehand.

Quote:Spirit Mirror - Reflects the first enemy projectile that hits you. - 5*

This item is probably totally fine. Though I think it'd see more use if the reflect regenerated over X amount of turns. Maybe 3 or 4?

Pretty much this, I've wanted the reflect projectile buff to be renewable in some fashion, but not in an overpowering way to archers or gunners, I was sorta thinking shields at first (Mirror Shield would be a cool item), but if the spirit mirror regenerated its Mirror status, or even granted a high cooldown skill that granted its status, that'd be wonderful imo.

Quote:Frosttouch Gi - Cloth - 1 Defense, 6 Magic Protection, 5 Evade, 5 Weight - Gain a chilly ice barrier that deals 15 unresistable Ice damage to attackers for 2 rounds after casting an Aquarian spell. - 9*

Probably the worst effect out the 9* elemental gis. The lightning one gives +15 Critical after a Nature spell. The fire a whopping +15 Strength after a Nerifian spell. Wind with +15 Evade after a Sylphid spell. Meanwhile this thing does an incredible 15 unresistable Ice damage after getting attacked after you cast an Aquarian spell.

I'm not sure what a good compensation would be but I'm sure someone could think of a better one.

I think each of the elemental gis can be a little on the weak side, I think an excellent way to compensate is to give them up to 30% elemental resistance to their respective elements (Like how Whynnesfelt/Irisgold etc. are), this'd be a massive boon, as for Frosttouch Gi specifically, it can deter basic attackers if the on-return damage was a little higher, probably up to 30 as well or so.
Countless nigh-useless items exist in the game, but I think the ones that should be looked at for tuning are ones that weren't intentionally made to be awful. Such as higher rarity items with niche effects, like all the anti-armor 9*s that get outclassed by their 1* counterparts due to their only gimmick being a SWA increase to partially match the capability of beginner weapons.

But I digress, I won't derail the thread from the current items being discussed.

Quote:Dar'Ensha Ish'agami Oka'Keran Por'Phavr Sel'Miaka Tel'Valsh Tor'Inaeh

I think a buff to make them more appealing could be changing the 10% chance to cost nothing into a 10% FP cost reduction to the relevant skills instead. Roughly the same effect but it isn't RNG if it will be far more potent or absolutely useless.

If the intention is to keep these items in their purgatory of irrelevancy, the consistent effect could be applied to upgraded versions of these items in the future.

Quote:Ring of Thorns

An ancient relic from the Pre Great Reckoning era. Power used to be worth a bit more back then but it still wasn't that great. Still, jacking up the Ring of Thorns is a dangerous proposition since no other accessories offer a global boost to your damage like it does. If it has to get tuned to be relevant, I'd say making it a percentage bonus to damage dealt rather than a flat power bonus would make its benefits more consistent rather than geared toward setups that benefit from maximizing Power specifically, and possibly changing the HP detriment to an increased damage taken detriment.

Another case where I'm unsure if the rarity would justify having a more potent effect, so a higher rarity version of this could be considered instead.

Quote:Spirit Mirror

I can't justify allowing Spirit Mirror to recharge its buff, maybe if it were a 9 or 10 star item, sure. For a 5 star item that'd be insanely potent for drawn out fights where it's actually relevant.

I'll elaborate.
Spirit Mirror as is is generally only used when you know for sure your enemy uses high damage projectiles, or when people are unsure if they may be present since the effect is just that good if it works.

This is because that unless your opponent spent nothing on the projectile they used, they effectively wasted all the momentum they spent generating that projectile and worst case scenario damaged themselves on top of it. In short battles, as most instances of PvP tend to be, this loss of upwards to 4m can be devastating. I'm not accounting for the fact you can CM Ryemei yourself off one, since people really shouldn't be throwing those out if they suspect a mirror.

The fact it can potentially reflect such potent damage makes it incredible for what it does, even if in scenarios where your opponent effectively counters it with a 1m projectile or passively with cheap utility projectiles like Fray, it still has a use for hard countering certain setups if not answered appropriately.

Given it's a 5* accessory with the power to absolutely crush some means of offense, it can afford to stay where it is. On average, you're stealing 3m from your opponent just for wearing it if it does anything against them.

If it DID recharge its buff, I would at least suggest it deal reduced damage with reflected projectiles, though that might be a pain to work into it.

Quote:Witch Hat

It's a newbie starter item. It could perhaps afford to be a tiny bit more robust, but it does its job for supporting lower level players and being easily accessible.

If we altered it to be another percentage recovery it'd get extremely overbearing very quickly, especially with getting slapped together with a High Mage Cape. Comparing the two is a null point anyway since the rarity discrepancy justifies the power discrepancy, in this case.

If a buff to it had to be made, I'd say a thematic bonus could be doubling the regen if you're a Mage/Mage promo ,or tripling it for if you're main-classing Mage.

Quote:Dragon Gi

Hard to say how to alter this to be relevant, it only wins out as the best flat HP for an Unarmored torso, but its dual purpose of granting FP makes it lag behind those who'd want it for that, as it's beaten by Priest Robe (a 4* guaranteed +20 FP and a +4 WIL on top of that for even more FP potentially) and the basic Wisp Cloak (+30 FP).

It could maybe have the possibility to roll higher numbers and become the Cloak of Many Colors for HP/FP. I could see doubling the values on it given its rarity and RNG nature anyway.

Quote:Frosttouch Gi

All the Gis are horribly outclassed, really. Their problem being the upkeep required to keep the effect going compared to the freedom of being able to do something else every other action aside from cast a spell.

Even for those who do spam magic that much, the effects are often underwhelming for what they want to do, aside from maybe the Boltstruck Gi.

As for the Gi actually mentioned, its only niche is being an Unarmored torso with the potential to cause On-Hit retaliation damage. A quick and easy buff may be making the damage of its retaliation be based on your Ice Atk (50%?). The other Gis could possibly get altered like this, but it may get silly considering they all have functions that directly tie into the relevant stat (LUC = Crit, CEL = Evade, STR = ....STR.) so for the Frosttouch Gi having an effect completely unrelated to the stat in question (SKI), it wouldn't be too overbearing to have it scale from it.

I could make a very, very long list of how many items in the game are absolutely worthless by merit of being outclassed in their niche by other items, thus never seeing use.

In fact I'll even add one myself, maybe more if this thread gets attention.
Quote:Crownbleeder 3* Hands - +2 STR. Upon damaging an enemy at 25% or lower HP, inflict Fear for 2 rounds.

It's absolutely worthless post GR now that enemies are automatically inflicted with Fear if they take damage at this health bracket due to Fear of Death, being reduced to a +2 STR Hand slot item, which going up one Rarity tier it's outclassed by the Bands of the Boar.

I only mention it since its niche of fearing enemies at critical HP could merit it having a use to have synergy with the ''''newly'''' added mechanic Fear of Death. An upgraded version of it via Alchemy perhaps to have it deal more damage to enemies who specifically have Fear from Fear of Death.

In conclusion, I support the effort of this thread, and I'd be willing to collaborate on compiling problem items that could afford to have a purpose, for the sake of having more options for viable play styles.
Hello once again! It's been a little while but I'm glad my words go through in one way or another or agreed upon. Since it has been a good time since the last post, I think I can bring out some more items that aren't as good as they can be.

Upon re-reading the old format I put things in, it's a bit of an eyesore. Hopefully this is better!

-----

Warding Cloth
1 Defense, 4 Magic Protection, 7 Evade, 1 Weight
10% Status Resist.
6★

10% is a lackluster amount to sacrifice an entire torso slot for and considering infliction rate can get very high. Even the Protective Paper Charm comes with a hefty 30%. (Albeit with counterplay available to attackers.)

It even fails to meet Martial Artist's Weathered Body requirement by one point making it even more undesirable than many other options available.

-----

Jarmor
0 Defense, 0 Magic Protection, 0 Evade, 1 Weight
On Battle Start: Gain a full damage shield made of jam for 50 Rounds with a LV equal to 2+(UL*2).
Before your HP is damaged, this shield's LV will be reduced.
(Full Damage Shields will also absorb any excess damage when broken)
10★

This armor has a very, very specific use which is to not get blown up by someone who can do a lot of damage in a single instance.

While I can appreciate the idea, the armor becomes almost useless after that singular save, with 0 base defenses and evasion.

Even with that single instance, players and even mobs often have the ability to double tap you with damage anyways.

A manual, high FP cost, high cooldown refresh might be a buff I can see this getting.
-----

Armor of Nails
7 Defense, 0 Magic Protection, 0 Evade, 15 Weight
On Damage: Melee attacks take 4 unresistable Pierce Damage.
3★

4 damage is a laughable amount, even for counter damage.

While I'm sure the purpose is to stack this effect with other counter damage types, the user will surely die before this armor by itself takes any meaningful effect on their opponent.

Considering the Fang-Faced Shield can do 12 damage (24 damage while guarding) as a 10★ hand slot item, I think the Armor of Nails can do a tiny bit better in some way as a torso item.

-----

Bands of Skill
Cloth
+10-20 FP
3★

Not much to say than a redundant item as Bands of the Crocodile can potentially give while giving +3 WIL (roughly equals 15 FP) and +2 DEF while only being 1★ higher in the rarity list.

-----

Burning Bracers
Metal
Suffer 2 Fire magic damage every turn. (Ignores resistances.)
On Hit: If a Fist weapon, deals 5 Fire unresistable magic damage.
4★

Potentially the worst on-hit item in the game, looking at it without its "utility" purposes. You take 2 damage to deal out 5 damage per hit.

With the introduction of the Arcane Tattoo (Barrier), using something like this is a major detriment as the measly 2 damage will eat the entire tattoo. Though I suppose that's an entire different rant on its own.

For on-hit damage one can simply just turn to the Swordmaster's Ring
without the downside of taking damage and dealing 10 damage per hit instead with its easily obtainable Enhanced version with an arguably better weapon type.

Maybe an upgraded version of the Burning Bracers would be interesting to see.

-----

Worn Gumshoe
Cloth
25% Earth Resistance
7★

I get that you could just buy these things but other similar foot slot resist items have at least the potential to get 30% elemental resistance. Just a small nitpick of course.

-----

And that ends this batch of complaints for now! Probably!
[Image: TvQhtZb.gif]
To comment, Armor Of Nails is already using 25% of your character LV as reflected damage, which is fine, I don't know if its description was ever updated to reflect this change.
I believe you can Insulate the burning bracers, as an upgrade. The rest of those feel alright to be changed. Never quite seen them at all.

Dragon Gi alone could probably receive some crazy effect to it, like increasing HP/FP by 15%.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]