Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Experimental Balance Fu Ideas
I thought it'd be fun to have a thread where we can converse not about balancing that needs to be done, but rather suggestions for the sake of discussion only; things that either don't matter or are just mindfood. Ask questions to your fellow users about balance, whether the questions be ridiculous or plain, large or small. Comment on what others think about, as well.

To start off, I'd like to suggest: How do you think balance would be affected if users were allowed ANY four classes (promo or base) for their skill selection? For example, someone could be Ghost/Duelist/Monk/Evoker, and another could be Grand Summoner/Void Assassin/Hexer/Soldier.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
I've toyed with the idea of triple or quad class combos in my mind for a while and as fun as it sounds I think it'd get out of hand extremely fast. I think we're fine at a limit of two. However, what would be interesting is adding a system to the Legend Book that allows you to rank up certain class skills even higher, not to be confused with white spirits. I.E. using legend ink would unlock further ranks in certain skills, let's say I choose Sear, for each ink I spend I gain a rank in that spell up to a max of 10 ranks. I'd think something like this would tie into Destiny characters only.
I think the idea of extra ranks would pretty quickly become a balance concern. 10 ranks is a lot more than you'd realise and would likely bring damage shooting up for destinies. Battles already end quick with damage numbers compared to HP (without a healer).

As for the four class system. Gods of this realm have mercy on us all for whatever chaos that would bring.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
Note we'd still be limited to four classes- as of right now, it's our base classes with the promo classes we chose. So if someone chose Ghost but not Duelist, they wouldn't get access to Fleur...

Another idea: how would it affect the balance if every negative status effect gave the user a chance of injury?
Having more than two classes to pick from is a bit extreme without a type of draw back. Spell theif is a good example of that and you can see how wild that can get. Everyone and their mama would be running Death Knight with a auto fear, speeding up fights tenfold. So for that idea, it's a no go from me. The other with the lnk, that's a bit iffy for me because that too can get out hand. Ki awoken, med, healing, posion and other stuff will get too far out of hand. So that's also a no go from me.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
What if evade worked on a bell curve instead of a flat number so you could never have a 100% chance to hit or a 0% chance to hit, but most people were in the 25% to 75% range.
I'd be fine with a cap on the lowest hit you could reach, experimentally. Maybe 5% or something. Maybe a 95% hit rate cap, but I dunno. I feel you should be capable of getting 100% hit chance if you build for it.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
So that destiny idea of added ranks to skills, I'd rather see that as a destiny AND mono-class only thing.
"You're really good at this one thing, point caps for skills and spells are increased by 3"
So level 8 on 5 ranks and level 6 on three ranks, single pointers are unaffected cause most don't have a way to go higher.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Now I'm imagining Kip Up turning you into Voldo with a gain of momentum on knock-down.
DEF and RES should share a softcap.